Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 03:50 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,699,377 times

Advertisements

In 1985, my (hippy) mother met a native B'ham fellow during a visit he made to the place she lived in Bodega Bay. Shortly there after, we made the move up to Bellingham. At that time, it was considered a very depressed and small town. Except for WWU, not much was happening. It was considered quite a conservative place at the time (my mother hated it).

In recent years, it has boomed. California folks everywhere. Prices through the roof, and Yuppies around every corner. Yes, it is a better place to live now with all the new restaurants, etc. But still, a big problem is still the rain. Everyone it seems, is on some type of anti-depressant drug.

My prediction? All those sunny, once perky Californians will ultimately decide to chunk their newly built Pacific Northwest mega mansions, and opt for a modest/humble abode for some much needed sunshine on their shoulders!! My mother moved to Hawaii and loved it there. But she is back in California now. Old hippies always return to the scene of their youth. Something about flowers in their hair? LOL!

Then watch the locals suffer a little from the economic shocker once again. Recover, and then celebrate a return to the, "norm." (Realtors, excluded of course!!)

P.S. I've lived on both coasts with liberals and conservatives and love them all. And yes, I have actually been a Realtor myself I'm considered a bleeding heart conservative-hehe!

Last edited by jadybug; 05-09-2008 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 01:44 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Alot of people are moving away, back to where they came from. The "old folks home" and "tourism" plan our state seems to be pushing just doesn't pan out for middle class working people.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:26 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Don't you believe it ... Whatcom County / Bellingham and ALL of Puget Sound will NEVER go back to the wonderful sleepy area it was years ago. For every Californian who moves back south to the land of the sun, 10 more new move up to take their place. Fact: Western Washington has doubled its population over the past 30 years approximately ... that is: it Added 2.5 Million new residents. The growth is continuing to accelerate NOT slow down. It will NOT stop, sorry to say.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:42 PM

25 posts, read 139,574 times
Unless you want to return to the midwest rustbelt (and who would?), NO PLACE is going to remain as it was 20 years ago. Change is eternal, folks, it's the nature of the beast. Unless pandemic flu wipes out a major percentage of the worlds population, growth is going to keep on truckin' along. The best we can do is try to shape growth to preserve what can be preserved and, hopefully, end up with something tolerable (at a bare minimum).

Old 06-05-2008, 11:15 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inuitboater View Post
Unless you want to return to the midwest rustbelt (and who would?), NO PLACE is going to remain as it was 20 years ago. Change is eternal, folks, it's the nature of the beast. Unless pandemic flu wipes out a major percentage of the worlds population, growth is going to keep on truckin' along. The best we can do is try to shape growth to preserve what can be preserved and, hopefully, end up with something tolerable (at a bare minimum).
Sure, change is eternal. But there are different kinds of change. There is going around a bend on a leisurely scenic drive through a mountain pass, taking in the sights and smells ... and then there is racing around the mountain at breakneck speed and going through the guardrail and over the cliff.

I believe I'll just backpack the trails on foot. Slow's my game.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 11,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadybug View Post
In 1985, my (hippy) mother met a native B'ham fellow during a visit he made to the place she lived in Bodega Bay. Shortly there after, we made the move up to Bellingham. At that time, it was considered a very depressed and small town. Except for WWU, not much was happening. It was considered quite a conservative place at the time (my mother hated it).

In recent years, it has boomed. California folks everywhere. Prices through the roof, and Yuppies around every corner. Yes, it is a better place to live now with all the new restaurants, etc. But still, a big problem is still the rain. Everyone it seems, is on some type of anti-depressant drug.

My prediction? All those sunny, once perky Californians will ultimately decide to chunk their newly built Pacific Northwest mega mansions, and opt for a modest/humble abode for some much needed sunshine on their shoulders!! My mother moved to Hawaii and loved it there. But she is back in California now. Old hippies always return to the scene of their youth. Something about flowers in their hair? LOL!

Then watch the locals suffer a little from the economic shocker once again. Recover, and then celebrate a return to the, "norm." (Realtors, excluded of course!!)

P.S. I've lived on both coasts with liberals and conservatives and love them all. And yes, I have actually been a Realtor myself I'm considered a bleeding heart conservative-hehe!

Sorry for bumping an old post but I thought I'd point out that
>All those sunny, once perky Californians

aren't all sunny or perky. I was born and raised in Los Angeles and I have summer-triggered Seasonal Affective Disorder. I'm depressed because I live somewhere with too much sun. As dearly as I love California, my husband and I are moving to Washington for the very reason there IS less sun. Happily, I love Washington, too.

Also, I'm not buying any "megamansion". I live in a more rural area of LA County and I can sell my house for about what a similar home goes for in Vancouver. Some Californians are just coming to town for a better life, without any negative spin attached.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:56 PM

109 posts, read 154,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadybug View Post

Bellingham is getting a lot of business from the Canadians. Because of the weak dollars, they come to Bellis Fair in buses to shop.

You are right about Californians moving to Bellingham. I grew up there in the 90's and back then around Lake Whatcom, there were not that many huge houses. Now, there are so many.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:07 PM

53 posts, read 258,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melody23 View Post
Sorry for bumping an old post but I thought I'd point out that
>All those sunny, once perky Californians

aren't all sunny or perky. I was born and raised in Los Angeles and I have summer-triggered Seasonal Affective Disorder. I'm depressed because I live somewhere with too much sun. As dearly as I love California, my husband and I are moving to Washington for the very reason there IS less sun. Happily, I love Washington, too.

Also, I'm not buying any "megamansion". I live in a more rural area of LA County and I can sell my house for about what a similar home goes for in Vancouver. Some Californians are just coming to town for a better life, without any negative spin attached.
Thats funny about the sun dipression, because my wife grew up in Tempe, AZ and was grouchy a lot. She wasn't happy, except for winter in Phoenix...Its perfect. Now were in Colorado and she gets that way in the summer, but if its gloomy you'de swear it was Christmas morning. She would say its the heat that puts her in a bad mood, statistical data supports that (More batters are hit in MLB baseball in July than anyother time of year, and there are more road rage incidents in the summer too). Maybe its too much sun. Well we plan to be in B'Ham in the summer of '09.

See everyone soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington