Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 01:01 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_O View Post
CrazyDonkey makes an excellent point, and not only because of the tourist season; boats have the right of way, and drawspans can range from ten minutes to more than an hour. The Washington DOT is very good about bridge alerts, including scheduled drawspans - subscribe by texting 468311 with the words “wsdot hood.”

I'm not currently in Washington, but most of my friends and family are, both on the OP and elsewhere. If and when I need to get from PA or PT to Seattle proper, I always allocate myself six hours, regardless of what the reports are. Good luck to your little family. It sounds as though you're thinking this through very well.
Six hours is worst case btw, I generally leave for the SEA-TAC airport from Sequim at Takeoff minus 4.5 hours.

Even four-and-one-half hours however risks a missed flight (the Hood Canal Bridge is the biggest unknown).

If you cannot WFH absolutely permanently, then I would steer clear of the Olympic Peninsula. The local jobs are 90% minimum wage or near. There is a tiny professional class, a vast retiree community, and then the hourly wage workers, mostly younger and stuck.

WFH permanently is an option there, the internet is generally reliable and most everything is locally obtainable (food and wine, medical, small-town cultural activities) and the outdoors lifestyle is superb. But if you are "WFH hybrid" the trek to SEA-TAC for air travel will be a killer. If the peninsula ever again gets scheduled air service, it would help tremendously with travel times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 10:43 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
The beach #1, beach #2 and a third beach hike that I can't remember the name of were right on the edge of the huge Pacific Ocean. We tried #1 and #2 and they're both easy peasy hikes and beautiful.
Probably Second Beach, Third Beach, and Rialto Beach in the La Push area, not far from Forks. (First Beach is in La Push.)

Old 07-21-2021, 05:00 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
2nd beach, 3rd beach and Rialto beach it is. Thanks for that info., Crazy Donkey. That whole beach area is gorgeous and has a rejuvenating affect on me. I hope to go there again someday.

Interestingly, one day I had off from work in 1983 we decided we wanted a McDonalds Big Mac meal. We drove southward 100+ miles to Aberdeen, your old stomping grounds, for that meal!

Beautiful scenery, the '65 Mustang purred like a kitten on 101, our son had a good time and so did the two of us. Forks had no brand name fast food joints but we did have Sully's, a homegrown hamburger place. We wanted that cool drive, though, that day. The Olympic Peninsula holds so much beauty in it, available to anyone that's willing to go live it.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:48 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
So are ya missin the pen elkotronics ?
Come on back.
The waters warm .

Wifey and I just did some driving around last Sunday.
We cruised through around Joyce, Elwah River, Freshwater Bay, Cresent Bay, The salt Creek area and several other areas.

Several years ago I came very very close to buying in that area.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:10 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,016,050 times
Quote:
I agree with DevanXL, OP. Bellingham housing costs are rising, however, so be thorough in your searching. A thorough search is better than a $500 voucher to Big 5 Sporting Goods. But no, I've lived in Port Angeles before and it is in a beautiful location. The close proximity to Hurricane Ridge makes it a must-see.

Just be careful and thorough. The money-grubbers have really taken a mean chunk out of enjoying the entire western side of Washington state. Throw Wenatchee in the mix as well. It is a nice town, too, and the good thing about living in Wenatchee is the electricity is low-cost and plentiful.
Hey, just wondering what you mean - do you mean price/cost going up? Real estate off the charts? That sort of thing?

I just got back from Seattle (burb) and Manson (for a week). I can attest to all the beauty of Chelan County - haven't explored Wenatchee yet but will one day. Also love PA and Sequim although it's been many more years since I've been there - I remember a wickedly awesome storm in November that made the bridge...interesting!

I want to relocate back "home" - I'm trying to justify the compromise I'll have to make on housing lol. I think it's worth the trade off of the beauty and opportunity to be outside more, but I'm with the OP - I think smaller towns and/or suburbs is very attractive!

Old 07-21-2021, 12:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
So are ya missin the pen elkotronics ?
Come on back.
The waters warm .

Wifey and I just did some driving around last Sunday.
We cruised through around Joyce, Elwah River, Freshwater Bay, Cresent Bay, The salt Creek area and several other areas.

Several years ago I came very very close to buying in that area.
Some time when in the area, take Deer Park Rd. from 101, and just keep going. Once past the homes, it's a narrow, winding road (closed in winter) that ends up near the top of Blue Mountain. It's actually where Blue Mountain Rd. would end up if it were extended. Beautiful drive, and fun, as long as you don't meet anyone coming down as you go up. There is a campground at the end.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:43 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Hey, just wondering what you mean - do you mean price/cost going up? Real estate off the charts? That sort of thing?

Yes, I mean it's a combination of people coming in who have sold their homes in So-Cal and then bought here. Once the real estate salespeople catch wind of this happening the housing prices go up. That's what I'm talkin' about. It's everybody getting in on the party - you can't just single out real estate agents - it's the large swath of people selling high and buying lower in Washington state that has caused what is now happening. Probably been going on for 50 years, though.

It's almost too late to get irritated about it, eh? A good 'ole Canadian eh for y'all!

Old 07-21-2021, 02:25 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,016,050 times
Quote:

Yes, I mean it's a combination of people coming in who have sold their homes in So-Cal and then bought here. Once the real estate salespeople catch wind of this happening the housing prices go up. That's what I'm talkin' about. It's everybody getting in on the party - you can't just single out real estate agents - it's the large swath of people selling high and buying lower in Washington state that has caused what is now happening. Probably been going on for 50 years, though.

It's almost too late to get irritated about it, eh? A good 'ole Canadian eh for y'all!
In the 90's, I really wanted to move back and thought the housing was crazy THEN - I feel kinda silly now given the high cost it's become. I hear you - my brother, who lives there, often laments how Lake Washington is basically out of reach for most people (not the lake, but the shore lol) - I suppose it's been going on for some time and I suppose I won't get irritated haha but dang, did I miss my chance?

After these past two weeks though, I'm doubling my efforts to see what's feasible. Job first - feelers out and resume updated, recruiter contacted! It won't matter where I look until that part is cemented - come to think of it, it doesn't really matter where because the entire state is at your doorstep once there AND, this is key, family is there and that's my biggest pull.

I hope we hear back from the OP to see where her search takes her

Old 07-21-2021, 03:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:

Compared to most of the rest of Western WA it's still a bargain on the peninsula. My parents bought their 3/2 double-wide on 4 acres in 1996 for $74k, it's probably going to be sold by the reverse mortgage company soon for maybe $200k. Their neighbor sold there 4/3 on 20 acres a few years ago for $280k. The median home price in Port Angeles is only $350k, you won't find even a small condo for that around here.

Old 07-21-2021, 04:42 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
Thanks for the tip about Deer Park Road Hemlock140.
I appreciate that.
The wife and I just love going down roads like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington