Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 12:06 AM

726 posts, read 1,367,551 times

Advertisements

I am considering Anacortes as a potential place to buy a house (possibly rent first). Would really appreciate knowing the pros and cons. I'm drawn to it for all the easy nature viewing opportunities, the cool weather even in the summer, easy trips to other islands (I like to ride the ferries for entertainment purposes rather than absolute utility LOL), all the deer everywhere, birds, etc... the grocery stores seem a tad limited so I'd like to know more about that.... also concerned about the ferry traffic when I would want head east to shop and do stuff and to get to medical etc. I need to know about how reliable the high speed internet is and cell phone service is... very important. I cannot compromise on reliable internet. Any tips for where to live? I have not been to the community forest so would like to hear about that and anything else interesting about Anacortes. Are there non-flooding areas between Anacortes and Mount Vernon? Differences between neighborhoods in Anacortes? Is it a safe place? Crime rate? If I could put a little cottage with a lot of windows at the top of Cap Sante and remove the refinery, I'd be a happy camper :-) LOL I like that the town seems to really value nature and turning rails into trails kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 02:26 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
Anacortes has a small food coophttp://www.anacortesfoodcoop.com/

I haven't been to it (I shop the Mt. Vernon one).

Here's a map of the expanding city fiber internet. This is a great situation- the city runs it, so it's locally controlled.
https://www.anacorteswa.gov/984/Acce...Fiber-Internet

Check out the Tommy Thompson trail:

https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/...thompson-trail

The refinery is ugly but you can't have everything in this modern world, and around the north sound, you can pick the niche with the most plusses and fewest minuses and have a good life in a beautiful area.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:06 PM

Thank you Mayfair, very useful info!

Old 12-03-2021, 10:07 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
The refinery's are a ugly necessity in my mind. It always irks me to see people drive their SUV's to a protest to block the oil train, or out in the bay in plastic kayaks blocking the tankers. A large amount of what is produced isn't fuel. Plastics, polyester, ingredients for medications, motor and gear oil, brake fluid, paint ingredients, the list goes on and on. Long after our cars no longer burn carbon based fuels, the refineries will still be there making ingredients for so many of life's other necessities. Many of the local refineries are currently adding new processes for bio fuels as well.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:33 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
It also has a very well-regarded annual arts festival:

https://anacortesartsfestival.com/

So, values nature and the arts.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:24 PM

There are trails and an interpretive center with cool aquarium tanks containing sealife from the estuary at Padilla Bay, between Mt. Vernon and Anacortes. There's a nice wooded trail behind the visitor center as well as this one along the estuary:

https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/padilla-bay

Bow/Edison has some good restaurants and the Breadfarm bread bakery, and that's north a bit. There's also excellent birdwatching on the Skagit Flats- and in winter lots of eagles on the Skagit River eating salmon:
https://skagiteagle.org/

Old 12-03-2021, 04:52 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Here's a map of the expanding city fiber internet. This is a great situation- the city runs it, so it's locally controlled.
https://www.anacorteswa.gov/984/Acce...Fiber-Internet
Wow, that's a great service. $39/mo for 100Mbps, with no data cap. Thanks for posting.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:52 PM

Anacortes is looking better and better :-) Skagit County as a whole seems very nice. Mount Vernon is still on the table as well :-) Thank you guys! I'd love to discover more if you think of anything else.

Last edited by freepelican; 12-03-2021 at 09:20 PM..

Old 12-04-2021, 11:32 AM

One more tip on the growlers- you will not avoid them completely anywhere in Western Skagit county. It's just part of life in the area. You might get a long stretch of quiet and then you get them overhead or rumbling in the distance.

Old 12-04-2021, 04:02 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
One more tip on the growlers- you will not avoid them completely anywhere in Western Skagit county. It's just part of life in the area. You might get a long stretch of quiet and then you get them overhead or rumbling in the distance.
Here's a secret: We live in Oak Harbor, harbor-facing view. We rarely hear jets. And when we do, they're just passing through on a wide sweep-around. North end of town, Yeah, you'll hear them more.
And we get less rain than Anacortes. Facing south is better than north, in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington