Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 01:47 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
As a Seattle native now living on the Eastside, if I were extremely wealthy I'd move far, far away from WA State. Where would I go? I'm not sure, but it would definitely be out of this hell hole of a state. You can keep your Gov Inslee and all the liberal transplants that are destroying this once beautiful place. Sorry if that offends anyone, just keeping it real.
There's always Idaho right next door. And Wyoming if Iowa is too liberal for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 03:56 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Probably the northeast peninsula. Port Townsend would be the sweet spot. Close enough to Seattle but not too close. And you have the entire Olympic Peninsula at your back door.

As an avid backpacker I would love to live in the western OP but I like that Port Townsend has enough civilization. I don’t like that you have to go to the Thriftway in Forks for grocery shopping and that’s basically the only grocery store for miles and miles in the western peninsula. Port Angeles is fine but Port Townsend is more picturesque to me. Plus Port Townsend has ferry access to both Victoria and the San Juans which is an added bonus.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:20 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
I know housing costs are a big deal when choosing a place to live, but I'm curious ... if you were independently wealthy, and you could pick anywhere in the state of Washington to live, where would you go and why? Which city/town/neighborhood is the most fun/safe/beautiful/peaceful etc?

ETA: Let's also pretend, since you're independently wealthy, that you don't have to consider getting a job or commuting to your current job.
Cost wasn't that much of a factor last time I went through the exercise, about ten years ago. Within reason for a at-that-time mid level software manager. Absolute favorite was Medina, but couldn't swing that. Clyde Hill: could have, and looked at a place that was too spendy for what it was. SO: Bought the most-est in best-est area, my finalists were M.I. and Kirkland. Kirkland won the day and haven't regretted that for a second since...nothing wrong with M.I. either. Both hit most of your marks. Idling around downtown Kirkland today and even in the rain reminded me why I'm not leaving anytime soon.

To spirit of the question: on careful reflection and if money truly didn't matter, a shoreline property on the north end of M.I. in the unlikely event one became available via Sotheby's. They're all gorgeous, good access to Lid Park (now apparently called Aubrey Davis Park) to stretch my legs, the I-90 is right there so not terribly difficult to get in or out. Tolerable mass transit via the M.I. transit center. Dull downtown on M.I. proper but not awful, and Seattle's minutes away if that's your thing.

I "could" live anywhere in the U.S. at this point with gigabit Internet access, that's been proven conclusively by varoius peers in my line of work. And I've been WFH since mid-'19, really more like mid '17 with a brief stint in the office summer '19. No plans to ever go into an office again if I can help it...but who knows what will happen there. So commuting isn't a thing either.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:14 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
How about oceanfront on the Pacific coast? Walkable beach close by, also forest trails not too far away.

I don't know if such a location exists but it sounds good to me!

Old 01-30-2022, 08:19 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
How about oceanfront on the Pacific coast? Walkable beach close by, also forest trails not too far away.

I don't know if such a location exists but it sounds good to me!
It does exist, really pretty spot. Pacific Beach north of Ocean Shores right on the Pacific Ocean.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:42 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Probably the northeast peninsula. Port Townsend would be the sweet spot. Close enough to Seattle but not too close. And you have the entire Olympic Peninsula at your back door.

As an avid backpacker I would love to live in the western OP but I like that Port Townsend has enough civilization. I don’t like that you have to go to the Thriftway in Forks for grocery shopping and that’s basically the only grocery store for miles and miles in the western peninsula. Port Angeles is fine but Port Townsend is more picturesque to me. Plus Port Townsend has ferry access to both Victoria and the San Juans which is an added bonus.
PA has the ferry to Victoria. PT does not, unless they recently added that. Didn’t think either had ferry to the San Juans, though if you ferried a car from PT to Whidbey and drove thatbto Anacortes, that would get you to the ferries to SJI.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:01 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
PA has the ferry to Victoria. PT does not, unless they recently added that. Didn’t think either had ferry to the San Juans, though if you ferried a car from PT to Whidbey and drove thatbto Anacortes, that would get you to the ferries to SJI.
I think I got my wires crossed. Yeah, you’d have to drive to Port Angeles for the Victoria Ferry.

Port Townsend has the Puget Sound Express (which I think is still running?) for San Juan whale watching which is what I meant. But also has the Coupeville ferry which you referred to as well. All in all, a pretty good location.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:13 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Andy.... I haven't read the link, but in general, my understanding is, we don't have the right to block passage along beaches. People are free to walk on the beach.

Legally leased/owned cultivated shellfish beds have some exceptions that allow owners of those beds to restrict access to their product property (the shellfish). The rest of us don't. You can't put a fence or barrier down the beach in WA. You can't stand there and keep people from passing by. I think you'd end up in trouble.

Tribal rights may certainly still apply too. These apply to not only shellfish but rivers.

It would probably be worth your time to study up on this as a beach owner.

On edit.... Thanks Pika...we cross posted.
On Whitney Island near the Coupeville ferry landing, there are public beaches to walk on (Fort Casey state Park). However, near the cement bathroom at the boat launch part, you can walk until you see signs that indicate the beach is private. It is part of a development iirc called Admirals Cove. A cousin owns a house there so when we visit we can walk that beach as her guests.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:24 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
As a Seattle native now living on the Eastside, if I were extremely wealthy I'd move far, far away from WA State. Where would I go? I'm not sure, but it would definitely be out of this hell hole of a state. You can keep your Gov Inslee and all the liberal transplants that are destroying this once beautiful place. Sorry if that offends anyone, just keeping it real.
I can surely understand how you feel as a fifth generation NW Washington native. However, I am not yielding to the onslaught of leftist transplants. We are staying put. We rarely venture into town unless we need groceries or have an appointment. Although I love our 5+ acres with its ponds, creek, and lovely woods as a sanctuary, I would choose a waterfront property with acreage on one of our beautiful San Juan Islands with the same ponds, creek, and woods with a view of the Cascades. I don’t know exactly where that is but it sounds heavenly.

I dated an Alaskan fisherman who owned a beautiful piece of property on one of the islands in Southeast Alaska: salt waterfront with a creek that formed a waterfall cascading into the ocean. There was a gorgeous building site on a small bluff with views that went forever. Access was by boat only and, unfortunately I only saw photos. Darn, that one got away.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:34 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
There certainly are non standard laws and rules when it comes to owning waterfront.

As an oyster farmer I even have to submit my plot number to be able to buy oyster spat (baby oysters) before they (Taylor Shellfish Co) will even consider selling to me to see if I even properly owned the land.

I won’t bore you all with all the little legal tidbits I had to learn but I might start a new topic down the road on what it takes (for me anyways) to raise oysters.

This year I’m experimenting with a fast growing non reproducing Japanese variety.
They can’t reproduce due to water temp and are safe for the environment.
I have really enjoyed learning about this and other nuggets of this hobby.

Back to topic,
Other than having more hunting property and a nice (private ) steelhead creek I’m good right here .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington