Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 04:32 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I agree in large part Derek... and we do want some growth, always, stagnation or shrinking population leads to decay. Moderation is good.
No place on the planet is static. The economy everywhere, both urban and rural, is constantly changing. You are either growing or declining.

People who try to freeze a community in time and prevent change basically end bringing on inevitable decline because every community is competing with every other community for jobs, residents, investments, etc. And there are always plenty of other communities willing and ready to pick up the slack.

The one exception might be communities that are already so wealthy and exclusive that they can afford to seal the place in amber since all their wealth already exists and doesn't get generated locally. Those would be places like say Carmel CA or Aspen CO. And all that happens when they do that is drive away the less than wealthy including everyone who works for them.

The trick is for communities to guide growth in the direction that they want it to go. Which can be a tricky proposition and everyone has a vested interest in one thing or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 06:06 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I think there will be some of that as folks realize their romanticized notions of living in the country isn't all they thought it would be. Or there is no Trader Joes within miles, so its basically unlivable. lol

But you also have to keep in mind some folks who moved to the big cities for jobs didn't grow up city slickers. Rather, they moved there out of necessity. So, now that their big city jobs allow remote work, there are more options opened up to them including these more remote PNW areas. As a result, there will be a new sustained increase regardless of natural attrition and buyer's remorse for some.

I don't think things will ever go back to those good old days with lower prices for all. Locals will always feel a bit displaced as we see on these forums already asking people to stop moving to <fill in the blank>. Unfortunately, That will not be able to stem the tide of newcomers rolling in.

Derek
That’s too funny, today I was doing a state wide search for the nearest TJ’s for the next state. Living in the country has its good points, although the next place will be a hybrid, not car but living area. Half country, half city.

The steady stream of ex Californians has been going on for over thirty years. I remember living in California in the 90’s and hearing the tide of Californians moving to Oregon weren’t welcome. We were considering moving there at the time, meanwhile the influx of people moving to the PNW has only gotten bigger.

As far as locals being ticked off that someone with more money ran the housing prices up, maybe they should have gotten a STEM degree instead of working at the mill. My spouse makes money, so what, he earned it, no one ever gave us anything. I was a top sales agent at my company, working 60 hour weeks was normal. If someone wants to huddle over their beer in the tavern and complain that out of staters are running the housing prices up, while they work a 35 hour a week menial job, cry me a river.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:04 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I think a healthy market with a wide range of homes and prices available serves everyone well. I know and value the people who live and work hard in this community.

It's been a little crazy the past couple years! In ways that I don't think anyone would have predicted. But I think we're headed back to a more balanced market now... One where starter homes aren't going for more than a luxury home on acreage cost just a few years ago. And one where buyers have options to choose from, instead of competing against a swarm of other buyers for every house.

We're not headed toward a crash out here, I don't think, just balance. Healthy number of buyers looking at a healthy supply of homes, and setting healthy market prices. Here's hoping.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 07-20-2022 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-20-2022, 12:08 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2Next2022 View Post
Thank you - that's great to know. I actually love the idea of no ferry service and boating for groceries (used to be a sailor) but my partner is not so keen, so your comments are super helpful. Thanks!
The islands are prime for the sailing life, just thought I'd mention it. You can sail to the main islands for your grocery shopping. You can sail to the Canadian islands or to Vancouver Island for racing (!), or to visit Victoria or the smaller towns on the island. (Just in case you needed something to dream about...)

Old 07-20-2022, 04:44 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think a healthy market with a wide range of homes and prices available serves everyone well. I know and value the people who live and work hard in this community.
I agree completely. The person cutting hair, working in a favorite local restaurant, grocery store, vet's office etc. needs an affordable place to live. Otherwise there will be long waits for a haircut or vet, limited hours at the restaurant etc. when people are priced out and leave. People are now struggling to find affordable rent or a starter home here, and this is a fairly rural area that was affordable in the past.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:42 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
I agree completely. The person cutting hair, working in a favorite local restaurant, grocery store, vet's office etc. needs an affordable place to live. Otherwise there will be long waits for a haircut or vet, limited hours at the restaurant etc. when people are priced out and leave. People are now struggling to find affordable rent or a starter home here, and this is a fairly rural area that was affordable in the past.
To TexasDiver's point, this really is happening to some degree across America. A bit closer to home, I think about places like Bend that have been going through the same struggles. Yet they still have restaurants, medical services and the like. But yes, they are experiencing growing pains and there may be shortages of service workers there too. Heck, Bellingham is likely another going through the same thing. Each one is probably handling their growth differently for better or worse. Do city and county planners make smart decisions about handling growth knowing its inevitable? Or are they more knee jerk, ineffective politicians lacking vision?

How does the local waitress, construction worker or gas station attendant afford it? IDK, but in areas with home prices *way* above what the average wage can afford, folks typically rent, share a place with roommates, live in a multi-generational family home, drive from further out, etc... Heck, that happened decades ago in places like Monterey where we raised our kids. Carmel, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Big Sur, etc... are not just a bunch of rich folks living there alone. People find a way. They get creative *if* they like the area enough to make those kinds of sacrifices. And some really do. Otherwise, they move toward more affordability across the country to places like TX, SC, KY, FL, OK, TN, etc... Heck, even east WA is more affordable in many parts if one is willing to accept the climate differences.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-20-2022 at 10:57 PM..

Old 07-21-2022, 12:47 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
The difference is that rural WA isn't all that special like Bend or Monterey so there isn't the pull for young lower wage workers to sacrifice and hang around. If they find a better rental situation in another town, there goes another vet tech, waitress/waiter or grocery worker.

Yeah they stay around in Bellingham, but that's a college town and different because their friends are there.

Last edited by mayfair; 07-21-2022 at 01:17 PM..

Old 07-21-2022, 12:59 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
My cousin has a nice place in the Florida Keys.
The situation is similar there too apparently.
He says the influx of wealthy northerners is making hard for the few remaining middle class to stay.

Old 07-21-2022, 03:09 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
The difference is that rural WA isn't all that special like Bend or Monterey so there isn't the pull for young lower wage workers to sacrifice and hang around. If they find a better rental situation in another town, there goes another vet tech, waitress/waiter or grocery worker.

Yeah they stay around in Bellingham, but that's a college town and different because their friends are there.
Wenatchee is probably the WA equivalent to Bend but about 10 years behind.

Old 07-21-2022, 04:20 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:

True, if you're going to live in sub-optimal conditions (a dump, renting a small apt., too many under one roof, etc...), then at least you have an incentive - something to look at or do. It's like the college graduates who are underemployed waiting tables in Aspen or their old college town. This happens in many places because their QOL is higher based upon the *Location* rather than the four walls they call home. That's just where they lay their head at night after having fun outside with friends.

My hometown of Hermosa Beach is like that which has gentrified big time and become lifestyles of the rich and famous. Some chose to stay and a number are not well off at all. So, they go from creative 'living situation' to 'living situation' while maintaining their Beach Lifestyle. One high school friend will never own his own home and will likely have roommates until he dies. His family is originally from TN. But he loves the beach too much to leave. So, he's a service worker livin' the life he chooses to there. The beach is his life, literally.

Send him to rural WA and he may as well just return to TN where other relatives live. There's nothing for him there at all. But maybe there is for the next guy/gal?

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington