Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 05:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Olympia in Dec. Native Oregonian/Alaskan; self-employed in Alaska and this move gives me better access to SeaTac, although I am planning on becoming semi-retired so won't be traveling so often. Will be living near Grass Lake Park and maybe taking my American Eskimo to McClaine Dog Park unless it turns out to be a bad place. Can anyone tell me anything about that dog park or recommend another one? Let's not indulge in dog park debates here, thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 01:19 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I spent much of last year going through that area a couple times a week taking a friend to and from her Cancer treatment appointments in the medical complex area.

I looked up the dog park and it must be very new, the google earth image of it is still undeveloped land. Hopefully too new to be spoiled!

I don't remember seeing any homeless encampments or anything like that in the area, but I don't know where all of them are, and it's not hard for them to hide... for a while.

I did sit and have breakfast or lunch at the Shipwreck Cafe many times while waiting for her, and I do highly recommend that, just a ways down Mud Bay Road toward the tide flats.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:26 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
As an aside, if you travel frequently you probably already have a plan, but for anyone going to/from SeaTac, I do highly recommend Capital Aeroporter for rides to/from the Olympia area. Door to door. Nice.

Old 11-06-2022, 09:01 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Thanks, I will check out Capital Aeroporter. I haven't really looked into it that much because I won't be going anywhere until spring. Definitely will visit the Shipwreck Cafe.

It looks like McLane Dog Park is a little over five acres and is pretty new.

Old 11-07-2022, 09:46 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,409,932 times
It's Washington state capitol and the money grabber of Great North West.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:28 PM

362 posts, read 589,652 times
ill assume its a disgusting city-the state sucks now

Old 11-17-2022, 12:39 PM

1,066 posts, read 892,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Roy Slade View Post
ill assume its a disgusting city-the state sucks now
You live there, why would you need to assume, just put your experience living there now.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Olympia is lovely and relatively bustling for its size and location. There's good and bad in every town, city, village, country. But the plusses of Olympia far outweigh the negatives. The beautiful scenery with the lake, the historic neighborhoods with bungalows, very nice town to spend some time in.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:29 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Portland here. When I think about moving north one thing bothers me. I'd need to live on high ground. I also lived in Alaska for 3 years back in the 80's

Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by Count David; 11-21-2022 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: lifted quote from other site

Old 11-18-2022, 01:23 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Portland here. When I think about moving north one thing bothers me. I'd need to live on high ground. I also lived in Alaska for 3 years back in the 80's
That's quite a catastrophic and fatalistic POV considering the most extreme case - a 500-1000 year eruption. I look at more as a spectrum of risk. And let's face it, we all accept some level of risk from natural disasters even here within the greater Portland metro area.

There's a big difference between living in the foothill towns in the volcanic path to all the way out in Olympia. Look at the the last big eruption of Mt. St. Helens as a real world example and the actual deaths as a result. Most were given fair warning and some chose to remain to their own peril. Look also at the Hawaiian Islands with active volcanos. They are more realistic in assessing risk and then making calculated risk decisions in terms of where to live or not. We actually experienced a major eruption on the Big Island that wiped out entire communities. But they were also in the highest risk lava flow zones. They likely also got a better deal on real estate 'building right on' a prior lava field.

Notice the Mt. Rainier heat map from USGS with varying degrees of intensity and very specific paths. Its doesn't cover an entire city like Olympia or Tacoma uniformly. Rather, its more targeted like a flood zone is within a specific city.

-- Volcanic Hazards at Mount Rainier

Derek

Last edited by Count David; 11-21-2022 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: orphaned lifted quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington