Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 08:45 AM

102,228 posts, read 108,023,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
the state portion of the property tax is entirely devoted to support of public schools,
Really? So, how does the state fund everything else? Where does the tax money for everything else come from? Quick--I need a remedial WA State civics lesson.

Quote:
And it's all because the middle class isn't paying their fair share of property tax?
Why does this keep happening? This reminds me of when H Clinton's and Obama's secretarial staff were found to be paying more tax then their employers. (And it wasn't because of Dem tax policies.) WA State needs to revisit its tax policies. Taxing people out of their homes isn't the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy;
We several families that do a school co-op thing rather than have their kids go to an inferior public school.
I’ve met and spent some time with these kids and I think they have it going on.
They seen more mature, disciplined, possibly smarter, and I’d wager more educated than the other kids when I see them at the softball games.

I think their system does well because it is managed better.
It not like they have a lot of money to throw around so they make what they spend count.
Where's this, Andy? on the Oly Peninsula? Sounds interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 09:22 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,085,920 times
It is on the Peninsula Ruth.
This co-op school has about 16 kids in it.
It is focused on the younger kinds not yet high school age.
I think the kids are aged 5-13.
Parent participation is one of the main focuses and there is also accredited staff.
The child to instructor ratio is something that you will never find at a public school.
It doesn’t seem politically based as I’ve seen near every group of people there.
I met a good portion of the group watching my friends kids play soft ball at the soft ball fields.

I too found this interesting.
If this is as good as it seems maybe it could duplicated in multiple areas as a norm instead as a great idea that is not available to all.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:00 AM

102,228 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
It is on the Peninsula Ruth.
This co-op school has about 16 kids in it.
It is focused on the younger kinds not yet high school age.
I think the kids are aged 5-13.
Parent participation is one of the main focuses and there is also accredited staff.
The child to instructor ratio is something that you will never find at a public school.
It doesn’t seem politically based as I’ve seen near every group of people there.
I met a good portion of the group watching my friends kids play soft ball at the soft ball fields.

I too found this interesting.
If this is as good as it seems maybe it could duplicated in multiple areas as a norm instead as a great idea that is not available to all.
I can see how the parent participation requirement could prevent it from catching on widely, if it means daytime participation in some form. Families where both parents need to work might not be able to do their part, whatever that might be. It's surprising that some families can afford to home-school, which takes one parent out of the work force. I don't know how some of them manage.

Montessori has a high teacher-to-student ratio, and gets amazing results.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:39 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,085,920 times
I don’t really know how they do it.
I’m tempted to say it’s a rotating schedule but I’m not sure.

The wife and I were and still are workaholics but we always made a point to volunteer with the school or the sport teams.
Wifey did the school volunteer (lunch room/yard duty) thing and I did the sport league thing.
We each did about 8 hours a week at it (even more with travel added) and had to work into the night at times to make other deadlines.

I figure if we could figure that out others can too and if you add the ones that already do home school this could catch on.

That said,
Anything worth while for me has normally required extra effort.
Not everyone has that availability or wants to give the effort but some do .

Old 04-20-2023, 01:05 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,739,374 times
The tax increase cap going from 1-3% annually doesn't seem like much, but compounded annually its a 10% increase in 3 years. WA already has changed legislation tying property evaluations to market values which have doubled in just the last few years with annual re-assessments(used to be 3 years). Interestingly, they never go down after the market flops.
So, lets say you had an average home that was assessed at $400K a few years ago, (about $4,500 in taxes), that's $750K now, so now its $8,440 a year in taxes. In 3 more years you're at $9,280. That's almost $800 a month in property taxes!

Old 04-20-2023, 04:40 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,675,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Interestingly, they never go down after the market flops.
Except that they do. People usually complain after it has dipped for a few years then starts rising again, they get so used to the lower figure that they forget that it used to be higher. Look up you own property taxes, you'll see a big dip from the recession from around 2009 to 2012 unless you had some huge local levies added in those years. People really freaked out when the recession ended and house prices started to rise, and they were still paying lower property taxes than five years before.

Old 04-20-2023, 06:48 PM

The neighbors at my last place paid $439,000 for their house in 2006. By the time 2008 was in full effect it had been repo'd and sat empty for two years. Neighboring homes in the area were now selling for $200K, and the taxes never got adjusted back down from that $439K evaluation. Eventually it sold for $229K, but the taxes still stuck.
Mine evaluation did go down a whole $6,000 in 2016, but it's almost tripled since then.

Old 04-22-2023, 07:21 PM

335 posts, read 422,849 times
I wonder if high property taxes will stabilize housing prices. Look at Illinois, with their sky-high property taxes, and housing prices that are, to my eye, much more reasonable than WA.

Some places that have high property taxes and/or high property values will let people defer a certain portion of their property tax until they sell.

Old 04-23-2023, 12:48 AM

209 posts, read 147,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
I wonder if high property taxes will stabilize housing prices. Look at Illinois, with their sky-high property taxes, and housing prices that are, to my eye, much more reasonable than WA.

Some places that have high property taxes and/or high property values will let people defer a certain portion of their property tax until they sell.
If the choice is high property tax rate/low house prices or low property tax rate/high house price, I would rather pay (and receive or have heirs receive) a higher purchase price for a house than higher property taxes. It makes no difference to affordability, since the monthly cost remains the same.

Old 04-25-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post

I don't think so, Washington's red tape to new construction is at fault for most of the housing problems. Less than 2/3rds of the states recent 1-million in population growth was accommodated by newly permitted bedrooms during the same time period. I don't expect property taxes will balance anything. If anything, its just going to accelerate the exodus of the working class and forcing of the retired/fixed income people from their homes.
Now, one serious potential is that we go the way of Detroit. It's sure starting to look like it, Bellingham's crime rating (in the worst 4%) was only 1 point behind Detroit(3) and Seattle(2) is worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington