Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 11:03 AM

6,274 posts, read 3,427,538 times

Advertisements

According to our local paper here in Clallam county two teenagers attacked a man without housing and were arrested and jailed on $100K bond. Both teens had criminal records and most likely sent away for awhile. Maybe their parents should be held accountable.

But my question is why did the local paper call the homeless man 'man with out a house'?
Maybe he should have been called 'man who didn't want a house' or some like that. But I think I will stick to 'homeless man'.
Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 11:33 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
A "man without a house" could be almost anyone. Apartment-dwellers, whether owners or renters, are "without a house". One of our regular C-D posters has lived on a boat for decades. He's "without a house", though not without a home.

Who were these teens? And how old were they? There's a big difference between 13 and 19. Just curious. I would have thought, that violent teen crime would be a relative rarity in Clallam Co.

Old 08-20-2023, 12:39 PM

1,066 posts, read 894,427 times
Could you link an article so we all have context?

Old 08-20-2023, 12:47 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,782,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
According to our local paper here in Clallam county two teenagers attacked a man without housing and were arrested and jailed on $100K bond. Both teens had criminal records and most likely sent away for awhile. Maybe their parents should be held accountable.

But my question is why did the local paper call the homeless man 'man with out a house'?
Maybe he should have been called 'man who didn't want a house' or some like that. But I think I will stick to 'homeless man'.
Your thoughts?
In my mind, homeless person usually means some kind of derelict or down-and-outer, while a houseless person is not necessarily a derelict. Maybe the paper was drawing the same distinction? Dunno.

Old 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM

30,383 posts, read 52,001,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
In my mind, homeless person usually means some kind of derelict or down-and-outer, while a houseless person is not necessarily a derelict. Maybe the paper was drawing the same distinction? Dunno.
Uhhh, no. That's not why these different terms are used.

I'll explain in a separate comment to OP.

Old 08-20-2023, 01:26 PM

30,383 posts, read 52,001,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Because a "home" is an abstract concept. One's home can be a suburban mansion, an apartment, a tent, a vehicle, or even the streets... as the old saying goes, "home is where the heart is." Lacking a HOUSE, aka housing (to include attached dwellings like apartments and condos), is the issue here. Not a lack of a HOME.

And yes, words do matter sometimes. Using terms like "unhoused" instead of "homeless" brings the focus back where it matters, on addressing the issues of housing and shelter for those in need. Also, it's less dehumanizing by putting the person first. Much like saying "person with a disability" instead of "disabled person."

Old 08-20-2023, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
Could you link an article so we all have context?
As the article says the boys were 15 and 17...name not released because of their age. Too show how smart they are they posted a video on social media.

Quote:
Two juveniles arrested for investigation of assaulting an unhoused man on the Port Angeles City Pier and throwing his belongings in the harbor appeared in Clallam County Family Court on Friday afternoon where charges were laid out against them. Both juveniles, aged 15 and 17, remain unnamed by authorities due to their ages. A $100,000 bond was set for each of the juveniles, who were both on probation for previous charges. An arraignment was set for 9 a.m. Aug. 24.
The two allegedly had posted a video filmed by the 15-year-old of the 17-year-old hitting the man and threatening him with what looks like gun. The video was widely viewed on social media locally. More than two dozen people were present in the courtroom Friday afternoon, including the man who had been hurt; he made no comment.
https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/n...-port-angeles/

Old 08-20-2023, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Because a "home" is an abstract concept. One's home can be a suburban mansion, an apartment, a tent, a vehicle, or even the streets... as the old saying goes, "home is where the heart is." Lacking a HOUSE, aka housing (to include attached dwellings like apartments and condos), is the issue here. Not a lack of a HOME.

And yes, words do matter sometimes. Using terms like "unhoused" instead of "homeless" brings the focus back where it matters, on addressing the issues of housing and shelter for those in need. Also, it's less dehumanizing by putting the person first. Much like saying "person with a disability" instead of "disabled person."
FYI most homeless people use homelessness as a life style...why because of alcohol or drug use or mental illness. Most alcoholism., mental illness and drug user can't function in a set environment, that is the main reason they are on the street in the first place.
Ever notice panhandlers parked on the corner close to a business that has a 'help wanted' sign? Having a home would mean they mostly likely would need a job to pay the bills. And most homeless can't function or do not want to function in that environment.

Old 08-20-2023, 05:26 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,046,424 times
Whatever you want to call the man, the two boys that did that to him are crap. I say throw them in the harbor and let them hang out there for a while as a live feed runs on social media to humiliate them.

Old 08-20-2023, 05:40 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,092,268 times
“on the Port Angeles pier”.
This says a lot for me.
I went to the PA pier a few weeks ago with a friend at midnight to fish for squid.
That place was disgusting.
There were 2 drug dealers in cars in the parking lot.
Each car had a person on a bike or a shopping cart just hanging out with him and then people would show up and buy drugs every 5 or 10 minutes.
Why weren’t the cops there to stop this or at least to show their presence?
I guess this is now acceptable behavior .
All of the people without homes that I noticed looked like bad news and were there just for drugs.

I showed up an hour earlier than my friend so I had to wait for him.
Soon after he got there we through in the towel and called it quits due to the bad stuff going on.
We both are licensed to carry concealed but why even be at a dangerous place?

I can’t help to wonder if the ones without houses caused anything to start this ?
I mean it’s not like they had any large amounts of money or something worth robbing them for.
Maybe the kids didn’t like aggressive panhandling?
Maybe the kids were trying to prevent a theft?
Maybe this is the fruits of bad policy?
Who knows?
I just think there might be more to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington