Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2023, 11:05 AM

8,219 posts, read 16,716,612 times

Advertisements

With Winter almost upon us, I'm curious what your favorite winter activities are?

I'll start with a few of mine so far going into our fifth winter. Since I'm an outdoors lover, I look for ways to enjoy this colder, darker season. That normally involves getting out in the rain on hikes and also seizing the day when there are sun breaks. From Vancouver, WA, It's a two hour drive to the southern WA coast as well as northern Oregon coastline, both of which can be fun day trips or weekend adventure.

I also enjoy paddle boarding the local rivers, lakes and creeks even with snow on the ground. Here's some pics from prior local winter adventures.

Coastal trips:

Hiking the Gorge:

End of Winter early blooms in mid March:

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 01:49 PM

8,174 posts, read 8,317,242 times
Vigorous trail runs in Seattle. Some fave spots are Carkeek, Seward and Discovery Parks!

Old 12-17-2023, 01:53 PM

14,507 posts, read 12,155,143 times
I'm surprised we don't see more people posting about winter skiing in WA. I don't ski any more but I sure did when I was younger.... Crystal Mountain, Mission Ridge, Snoqualmie, White Pass.... Most years, we have pretty good skiing around here!

Old 12-17-2023, 03:20 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,716,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'm surprised we don't see more people posting about winter skiing in WA. I don't ski any more but I sure did when I was younger.... Crystal Mountain, Mission Ridge, Snoqualmie, White Pass.... Most years, we have pretty good skiing around here!
I did take our kids snowboarding on the Oregon side while we were vacationing in Bend. Mt. Bachelor has a nice area for beginners. We also took them sledding and ice skating while there.

I want to try snow shoeing this year. While I've don't it before in Yosemite, I haven't tried it in the PNW. It would probably be fun around Mt. Rainier and possibly Mt. Hood which is closer to us. I may try x-country skiing again which I've only done once and found it challenging on those skinny little skis. They just don't stop like normal skies nor do they turn as easily either.

Derek

Old 12-18-2023, 04:28 PM

1,831 posts, read 810,819 times
You should like snow shoeing, we do that. I did Nordic skiing here, as that was my thing in the past. For groomed trails we went to Steven’s Pass, Mt. Baker, Leavenworth, those are a drive, for me Hurricane Ridge is the closest. I had a serious orthopedic injury a couple of years back, so there is a lot I planned to do that has been modified. I was always a hiker, but now have to watch out for the slippery stuff. And I’ve always walked miles. If I could, I would be skiing.

Last edited by CalWorth; 12-18-2023 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-19-2023, 08:30 AM

638 posts, read 351,480 times
Quote:
Skiing and snowshoeing is awesome in the PNW. Having access to the mountains is fortunate.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
No one here races sleds?
(Powered by wind, horses, engines, or dogs)

ND, MN, WI friends are out every day using sleds for work and play. As a kid, we had horse drawn fancy sleds, and very robust articulated large sleds for hauling hay to remote pastures. Watch the PBS special Winter of 1949 (Wyoming). That will make you run for the hot cocoa. My dad was doing medical rescues for the State Patrol most winters. Sometimes I got to go along. But any day could bring a blizzard.

At the moment... And most winter days I'm in PNW, I weather watch. Today, clouds to the east, fog the the west, clouds below me are westbound, clouds above are eastbound. Ray of sunrise for this solstice day.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...nw-21dec23.jpg

https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...nw-21dec23.jpg

I always advertise my homes specifically for weather watchers.
Colorado home could see weather coming from 3 directions, you knew the level of blizzard by watching for neighbor's vapor lights being no longer visible. And... Our own yard lamp, only 30 ft in front of house disappearing into the mysterious night.

Switzerland chalet, we counted 9 weather changes in one day, it was very picturesque, with cow bells clanging, and church bells chiming in village below. (And snow gently falling)

Another favorite in WA is going to a winter Sunday brunch (or weekend stay) at Paradise Lodge.

Or trips to our hurricane ridges (Olympic, and Mt St Helens)

Old 12-21-2023, 10:38 AM

6,252 posts, read 3,421,347 times
My idea of a perfect winter is visiting my local watering hole and cozening up to a nice cold beer. That is as close to anything cold I can endure.

Old 12-21-2023, 11:08 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,071,651 times
Washington has a nice hut system that I'd like to visit...

https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/a-...ern-washington

I've been to a number of the backcountry huts in Colorado. Most people travel on backcountry skis, but there are some that come in on snowshoes.

Old 12-21-2023, 11:37 AM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
I would go out with a friend for just a day outing, when I lived in Seattle. There are plenty of ski area for cross-country skiing that are within an easy drive of Seattle. It's important to get out and be active whenever possible at this time of year, to combat the winter doldrums and SAD, for those for whom that's an issue.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-21-2023 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington