Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 10:39 AM

34 posts, read 177,192 times

Advertisements

My dh is writing a book and needs some info on Tumwater that doesnt pop up on google searches nessacerily.

What neighborhood is considered the bad side of town?
What is considered the good side of town?
Where are the most new houses being built?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
I'm sure you're aware of this, but The Olympian is the daily newspaper that would carry the most Tumwater news: Thurston County's Homepage - The Olympian - Olympia, Washington

Old 07-25-2008, 02:13 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,449 times
Caitlinsmom,

There is no bad side of town in Tumwater. There are several up-scale neighborhoods.
There are lots of up-scale new construction homes on Tumwater Hill from the mid 300Ks through the 700Ks. The area around Black lake has some nice older homes, as well as the area around Munn Lake. Quadrant Homes has two new communities in Tumwater with homes ranging from the mid 200Ks to mid 300Ks.

Sandy

Old 07-25-2008, 02:16 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Thanks, Sandy! You're the one who knows.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:00 PM

34 posts, read 177,192 times
Thanks Sandy. Good to know there isnt really a bad area. Are there any assisted living centers? Or what is a neighborhood that an elderly retired man would live in, former blue collar worker? What are some local resturants that are popular with the after work crowd?

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:54 PM
DBM

92 posts, read 495,042 times
Default Tumwater Neighborhoods

Caitlinsmom,

Two features about Tumwater that could help in the book. First, when it was built, I-5 went in right through the old heart of Tumwater -- it pretty much paved over the downtown. Second, there is an old neighborhood of streets identified by letters: "A Street," "B Street," etc. The homes are generally modest and old, the streets don't all have sidewalks, but the lots are larger -- this would be a good location for an older retired man. This neighborhood is just on the other side of I-5 from the remmant downtown and is at the base of Tumwater Hill; on top of the hill is where some very large new homes are being built. The homes being built are 3-4,000 sq. ft. with good views on tiny lots (if you're being derogatory, it could be called an "upscale house farm"). It could be an interesting juxtaposition.

I don't know about assisted living facilities (look up Roo-Lan Health Care), and I would need more info to answer about the restaurants (state workers, blue-coller, waterfront/yuppies, tavern/bar).

Good writing to your friend.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:31 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,449 times
Caitlinsmom,

Popular restaurants are Eagans Drive-in, El Sarape and Pellegrino's. I'm not aware of any assisted living facilities in Tumwater, but as DBM already noted, the older homes in the central Tumwater area are affordable, close to all the amenities and close to the bus line.

Sandy

Old 01-31-2010, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,146 times
? about this rock with carvens at the creek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington