Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2007, 10:41 PM

4 posts, read 13,706 times

Advertisements

Looking for Eastern Washington area for injury-related early retirement. We like the Okanogan area, but have been told that you may need to bring water in during the summer. Does anyone know if that is the case? If so, what areas would be water-sufficient? We've looked (online, only) at beautiful Columbia River views in Brewster; which also has a hospital. I've found "some" info on Brewster, but want to get the scoop on living there from someone who knows. What we want is a place that is less expensive to live compared with the Tacoma area, that has more sunshine without horrible heat, and where there is medical care within a reasonable distance. Any info would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 02:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
The heat is adequate in Brewster !, but it does get you closer to civilization if a hospital is important. Be VERY diligent in searching for an 'early retirement' home in WA state. You need an area with low values, low mill levies, responsible civil government that IS NOT paying for basic services with excess levies, and a reasonable assessor. I 'retired' at 49, and now with a 'fixed' income = ZERO- I'm forced to leave WA state (everthing goes out, nothing comes in till 59.5, then it still is going out, just more funds to choose from). With 'no earned income' WA has little advantage, and infact will drown you in fixed costs. My property taxes are $30/day, on a place we built for $100k (assessor thinks it's worth $800k...). Be careful. shop wisely; Taxes are 1/2 price up the road 500' (a different county, school district (& assessor)) but are a fraction in WY. If you can use a VA hospital, Sheridan, WY is pretty nice.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:31 AM

4 posts, read 13,706 times
Janb, Thanks for all your information. It give us "pause" about Brewster and WA state, for that matter. Wyoming is much further than we've considered; but will take a look there, too. We probably won't move for a year yet. (Everything's up in the air; so we can't really start looking to buy right now.)
I've also looked up the stats on Brewster, crime, especially, and don't like the high crime rate there. Thanks for your insight! Carol

Old 02-03-2007, 06:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
maybe you could share a bit about your specific medical needs, as there might be someone who can direct you to an optimal spot. Especially if you need a specific 'provider' (VA, or Kaiser...) There are plenty of potential spots in PNW with great medical facilities. And...you might find something that will be affordable in WA state long-term. It's 'income tax free' status has limited appeal, once you don't have income, but... if you find a location with moderate property values, it might be the most affordable option. If Oregon wasn't so messed up with tax funding (they have a very low bond rating, and pretty poor school funding) Roseburg would have appeal (good medical, a Community College, and less rain, tho striking distance to the coast).

You might also consider proximity to a College that instructs in your area of medical need, as you might be able to get into a rotation of training where you can get extra care / therapy. I have an uncle who was O2 deprived in a medical recovery, and now requires high care. They live quite close to a Jr Col that trains in Phy & Occ Therapy, which has helped alot with the care needs. Also there are often some benefits of taking a few classes and being availed recreation equip. (a swimming pool would be nice...) It was the suprise of my life to move to SW WA and not have pools in High Schools... I used to swim daily on my lunch break, (had 3 indoor pools in town of 30,000 in CO) but the closest pool is now 30 miles away!

Good luck, and I feel you should have many choices if you want to stay in WA or PNW. You might need to compare 'med costs' as each state is quite different once you fall off the care cliff & require a 'private plan'. And commute costs can really add up (unless you burn 'fryer grease' ) I applaud the places getting rid of 'transfats', now to get them to change their oil BEFORE they burn it... making it more expensive for me to process (~$.70/gal)

Old 02-22-2007, 02:06 AM

11 posts, read 66,371 times
Have you thought of moving south? Oregon has some great spots as you head south of Salem, and actually salem is pretty affordable and the suburbs even more so, still close to a hospital and much warmer weather as you head south. Lewiston Id or Clarkston Wa may be another option I am not sure what you're medical needs are but it's a nice retirement community and gret weather! Very affordable housing too... I have a few friends who live there, I'd be happy to put you in touch if you'd ever like to get a second opinion or more detailed information. It's been a few years since I lived there. Good Luck!

=)
sodwyer

Old 02-22-2007, 03:06 PM

323 posts, read 1,969,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olysgal View Post
What we want is a place that is less expensive to live compared with the Tacoma area,
It's AMAZING how far your housing dollars will go in other areas. Many other things are similarly priced but you can get a home in the midwest for a small fraction of what you might pay for the same home in Tacoma (we did!)

Quote:
that has more sunshine
Virtually everywhere!

Quote:
without horrible heat,
That narrows it quite a lot. We chose southern Wisconsin because we need to have some humidity (medical condition) but, while the cost of housing is insanely low they tax structure wouldn't be ideal for a retiree. The Rocky Mountain states other than Colorado are reasonably affordable and if you're up high enough the summer temps are moderate.

Quote:
and where there is medical care within a reasonable distance. Any info would be appreciated!
If you have specific medical care issues you'd probably be best off working with your doctor to locate places that are well suited to the problem.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:03 PM

46 posts, read 230,526 times
Hi...I am thinking of relocating...retiring from SoCAl to the tri cities area. We have been told its a good area, lots of house for the money. What about health care,crime and most of all the Hanford Nuclear area and its effect on health etc.What about heat and rain. We do like rain and do not mind some heat. Time is of the essence as we have to make a decision pretty soon.
Thans

Old 02-26-2007, 04:19 PM

70 posts, read 287,840 times
Hi Ron House,
We justed moved to the Tri Cities, although I spent the last 16 years in Ca. I have lived in the general area several times in my life. Tri Cities I believe gets about 7.5 in of precipiation a year (some of it snow). It gets into the 90's in mid summer, and can get into the 100's, but I don't think for very long. It is high desert so it is dry. If you type Hanford into the search at the top of the page you will find various responses. I would give you my opionion but there is a person on this forum will knock it down. So read some of the other post and then do some research and make your own decision. It depends on your way of thinking which way you will view Hanford. If you wan't I can send you a private message with some Realty web pages that have great pictures and virtual tours etc... I enjoyed checking them out while I searched for a home. You can get alot for your money here. Good Luck

Old 02-26-2007, 05:18 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
relocated46 has done a good job of answering your questions, Ron.

I'll just throw in my personal opinions. There are good areas and bad areas in the Tri Cities. I tend to like Richland more than in Pasco or Kennewick. IMO, as it would pertain to your health, I wouldn't worry about Hanford at all.

As relocated46 has said about the climate, it's dry but as was being discussed in another thread, it can be foggy at times in the winter. It also can be bitter cold. The winter I was there, we had a string of below zero temps.

Coming from socal, you'll be pleased at the housing prices and the general costs of things. Also, I'd assume that the crime, or lack thereof, will compare favorably with Socal. I'm unsure about healthcare. I know Socal has some pretty good HMOs, right?

All-in-all, I think it will be an enjoyable change of pace for you.

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-21-2007 at 10:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington