Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:35 AM

6 posts, read 50,054 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are really racking our brains trying to decide where to retire. I am from Bellingham and he is from Arizona. We love both states as they are diverse and offer so much environmentally. There are so many things that I love about Washington that I don't know if I can give it up. We need access to good medical facilities and like art and cultural activities. That doesn't mean that we need to live in the middle of it but want easy access. I am disabled which changes a lot of things for us and we are low income. We like Bellingham but it certainly isn't the same place that I grew up in. It will be impossible for us to buy a home here. I am looking for suggestions as to a great place to retire. Our favorite activity is to be out in nature. We went out to the Olympic Peninsula which is heaven but it was so cool out there. I don't know if it was unseasonably cold or if that is just the way it is. We also looked in E. Washington around Winthrop. I know that the Winters are cold there. One thing that would help is to be near an Indian reservation as my husband is a native. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. There are undoubtedly places that I hadn't even thought of. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 12:36 PM

307 posts, read 1,420,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2 View Post
My husband and I are really racking our brains trying to decide where to retire. I am from Bellingham and he is from Arizona. We love both states as they are diverse and offer so much environmentally. There are so many things that I love about Washington that I don't know if I can give it up. We need access to good medical facilities and like art and cultural activities. That doesn't mean that we need to live in the middle of it but want easy access. I am disabled which changes a lot of things for us and we are low income. We like Bellingham but it certainly isn't the same place that I grew up in. It will be impossible for us to buy a home here. I am looking for suggestions as to a great place to retire. Our favorite activity is to be out in nature. We went out to the Olympic Peninsula which is heaven but it was so cool out there. I don't know if it was unseasonably cold or if that is just the way it is. We also looked in E. Washington around Winthrop. I know that the Winters are cold there. One thing that would help is to be near an Indian reservation as my husband is a native. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. There are undoubtedly places that I hadn't even thought of. Thanks.
My absolute favorite place in WA is Port Townsend which is in the rain shadow so it doesn't get as wet as other places in western WA. The restaurants are great, the downtown area is clean and historic. It gets my thumbs up. We'd live there but DH needs to be near Tacoma for work. Whidbey Island is another favorite of mine.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:05 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
We have some similar requirements (need medical, major airport, city services fairly close and a few other preferences) so we chose to settle in Clark County (north of Vancouer). Close to Portland but out of the congestion... more suburban than rural but just fine unless they let development explode.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:30 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,485,271 times
Also on a fixed income, I am looking at relocating. I assumed I would have to return to the Southwest because humidity is a problem for me. Dry cold is fine, but even Colorado Springs with the storms coming in almost daily (although they are short and it is "semi arid") isn't the best for me.

I looked at the OR forum and didn't think there would be someplace in the east with access to good medical and some access, as mentioned here, to cultural things, shopping. I don't need off broadway plays, but I would like to be able to enroll in community college activities/classes. I am totally unfamiliar with Oregon so I am sure I didn't get the most out of the posts.

I had crossed WA off my list because I heard how expensive it is. Are there affordable places to live in the eastern part of the state? The posts here mention access to medical is great in Spokane. This usually means access to shopping, art, etc. is good as well. I don't need tons of things, but some.

I hadn't considered Idaho seriously until checking this forum. Any ideas on the feel of Eastern WA, Eastern OR or Idaho? Couer D'leone (sp?) is too pricey but beautiful. Maybe I do have to get back to the Southwest for low humidity... not that I would mind. Just re-opening options.

One thing I have missed since leaving the Northeast, in the dark ages, is the sense of community. People have talked about it in the WA forum, reporting that it is lacking. It would be nice to could wave at a neighbor and get a friendly response. Perhaps that is a thing of the past as places become heavily populated and expensive.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:00 AM

41 posts, read 211,604 times
If you liked the "old Bellingham" you would like the little town of Centralia, WA. It is emerging and a lot of neat stuff is going on in the historic downtown. Very similar to Fairhaven. Great news is that you can still afford a house there in a good beighborhood.

mod cut: link deleted

Last edited by scirocco22; 12-02-2007 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: can't keep posting link to blog in every post. One or two, maybe but every post becomes advertising. Thanks

Old 09-12-2007, 03:41 PM

15 posts, read 135,042 times
Default Nice Folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by localinsight View Post
One thing I have missed since leaving the Northeast, in the dark ages, is the sense of community. People have talked about it in the WA forum, reporting that it is lacking. It would be nice to could wave at a neighbor and get a friendly response. Perhaps that is a thing of the past as places become heavily populated and expensive.
Being from Arizona I have noticed this is actually a very friendly area. Maybe it isn't compared to other places, but I am very pleased with how nice everyone is. I've heard the same comments from our out of state visitors and others that have recently relocated here.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 29,637 times
Eagle2-

I have lived here eight years, four of which were on the peninsula (which was sooo beautiful) My recommendation is Port Townsend for sure! My mother and father-in-law retired from Tacoma to Sequim. Sequim is in the bananna-belt of washington, but Port-Townsend is only 30 miles south and so much more historic and beautiful. There are clam beds a short drive away, Sequim has the closest Wal-mart and JCPenny's, but there are glass blowers, sail boat docks, a Safeway Grocery Store, artists and art-galleries, bead shops, restaurants, a ferry, golf course. Close by is the John Wayne Marina... and this is nestled within the Olympic National Forest- I mean once my daughter (who is eight) goes to college, I am dragging MY husband there!!!!

Amanda K.
Artist-Mother-& Loving Wife

Last edited by Naniklock; 06-29-2009 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: Font troubles

Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
If I were looking for cheaper digs and outdoor beauty I'd definitely check out the Rochester/Oakville/Elma area, these are small towns with a fairly large populace of Native American's from the Chehalis tribe. You can see all the homes listed for sale on John L Scott's web site, rentals can be found through local papers online. Yes, Washington is getting expensive for housing, but, that isn't the whole story, you just need to look at different areas by comparing the towns overall cost of housing by looking at web sites like CD here, and then taking some time to look at the areas in question. Grays Harbor County has some of the best home prices for rent or buy.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:27 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
What do you think about Pacific County as a retirement area? We're quite a few years away from retiring, but we're thinking of looking down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Grays Harbor County has some of the best home prices for rent or buy.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:14 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
My parents sold the house when Dad retired, bought a 5th wheel and traveled the US for several years trying to figure out where to retire. After doing that, they ended up settling less than 150 miles from where they had been living for over 20 years...

My parents chose to retire in the Clarkston, WA area for primarily 4 reasons--

1. Dry, mild climate. Winters are milder there than surrounding area--shoot, the Indians wintered there.
2. Affordable cost of living.
3. Access to outdoor recreation (Lewiston, ID, directly across the river was picked by Outdoor Life Magazine as the #1 town in America for outdoor enthusiasts.
4. Access to medical care. If they can't take care of it in Clarkston/Lewiston, there's Pullman/Moscow, Id. If they can't take care of it there, there's Spokane. Mom just had heart surgery there. and lived to tell about it.

Lewiston has a very good 4 year college and the attendant (cultural) things with it. Pullman isn't too far away with Washington State University for even more in addition to Division I sports. Finally, Spokane is do-able for even a (long) day shopping/event trip--depending upon how you drive it's roughly 2 hours away.

My folks like it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington