Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 07:28 PM

40 posts, read 153,801 times

Advertisements

What city in Washington would you like to retire in and why? I am from BC, but left when I was a teenager and since I have put so much into Medicare, staying on this side of the border seems to make the most sense for me and my wife. I like fishing amongst other hobbies, so this is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 09:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
When you say fishing, do you mean salt water or fresh? That makes a big difference. You would look for the availability of launch facilities for fishing Puget Sound, places like Port Townsend, Port Hadlock, Sequim or Port Angeles. Almost anywhere in the state you can find good freshwater river and lake fishing, and in the tri-cities area you have big river fishing and lots more sun. The next issue for retirement is the availability of healthcare facilities, typically in or near major metro areas. Living in a place like Poulsbo gives you access to Bremerton
with Harrison Hospital, Sequim and Port Angles and the smaller towns have limited services.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:31 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
Are you asking for our preference or what would work for you?

Just based on what you said so far, I would assume Bellingham area would work for you. But if you're asking for our preference... I think... Hawaii (of course that's if someone pays my way). Nah, it'll probably end up being Spokane.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:05 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,829,493 times
Chelan, Wenatchee, Cle Elum, or somewhere in the areas surrounding one of the three.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:02 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Spokane County, or north or east of there if I'm feeling frisky.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When you say fishing, do you mean salt water or fresh? That makes a big difference. You would look for the availability of launch facilities for fishing Puget Sound, places like Port Townsend, Port Hadlock, Sequim or Port Angeles. Almost anywhere in the state you can find good freshwater river and lake fishing, and in the tri-cities area you have big river fishing and lots more sun. The next issue for retirement is the availability of healthcare facilities, typically in or near major metro areas. Living in a place like Poulsbo gives you access to Bremerton
with Harrison Hospital, Sequim and Port Angles and the smaller towns have limited services.
Salt and fresh. As you know in BC, you have alot of small islands, which adds to the beauty. You're always asking what's around that corner of the island? Is the fishing better over there and can we just go over and explore that island? I did visit Sequim and we did like the comunity and the housing prices, but I didn't care for the open water. Port Angeles we also didn't care for. I don't know Hadlock or most places in Washington. As a kid we would walk across the border to go into Blaine. I have been to Seattle a few times, but we don't want to live in the big city. Living an hour or so away from a big city is okay, so that if there is some cultural event or big entertainment in town we won't have to travel or take a plane to get there.
So were collecting data and will keep all suggestions with us when we take to the road and will visit all the places everyone suggests to us.
Thanks

Old 04-20-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Are you asking for our preference or what would work for you?

Just based on what you said so far, I would assume Bellingham area would work for you. But if you're asking for our preference... I think... Hawaii (of course that's if someone pays my way). Nah, it'll probably end up being Spokane.
I am asking for you guys who live in Washington and you know what comunities you would prefer to live in, if you don't already live in your preferred comunity.
Hawaii is my wife's preference but its too far to go trout and salmon fishing.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Chelan, Wenatchee, Cle Elum, or somewhere in the areas surrounding one of the three.
What is it about your choices that you particularly like?

Old 04-20-2013, 11:00 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,829,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
What is it about your choices that you particularly like?
Abundant natural beauty, nearby outdoor recreation and activity year round, not too big, not too small, and a true four season climate that actually gets cold and snowy in the winters, and hot, dry and sunny in the summers.

Plus I have always just really liked these areas. There are several other Eastern WA locations I love, but wouldn't necessarily prefer living in them over the other choices.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Chelan, Wenatchee has GREAT public transportation and variety of terrain / climate and far enough from SEA to be SAFE from traffic (during the weekdays) Bit busy in Summer.

For both Trout and saltwater fishing, And BC access, I would choose Lynden or Ferndale. I like them both. Bellingham is OK if you can deal with more people. I don't really like the Pennisula cities, excluding Silverdale / Poulsbo. (Point Haddock might be fine)

If you need drier climate and LOTS of lakes, look at Colville area (far from Ocean)

If you want BIG river fishing (Sturgeon, Salmon, Steelhead ++) then Columbia River towns will do. (White Salmon, WA to Camas, / Vancouver).

Buy your wife a LONG trip to HI every yr. You can even go along once in a while if you like... (I don't). I have sent my spouse there for 30 yrs to visit Sis. I really dislike Oahu, but can tolerate the other Islands for a SHORT time. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington