Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,558 times

Advertisements

I was offered a job in Tacoma and I am wondering how safe the city is for black people. I am currently living in Oakland California which is pretty diverse for the most part. However, this new post MAGA era I do worry about my safety traveling and living in some parts of the country as a Black Man. Could anyone shed some light on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 07:27 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
I’m not black, and don’t live or work in Tacoma so I don’t have a lot to say on the subject, but Tacoma has one of the largest black populations in Washington so I would imagine it would be safe for black people relatively speaking, but the city does have a perception of being unsafe to all people in general with it’s higher than average crime rates, particularly in the southern parts, which also happens to be where low income people live, and unfortunately where black people tend to live in general, though things have improved greatly in the past couple decades and the city is definitely on a gentrifying trend (which could spell bad news to the black community as it did for Seattle). For what it’s worth the city has voted in multiple black mayors over the years, including the present mayor, and the one before her was of Korean and Black heritage who has now become a congress women representing Washington’s 10th district (Olympia and Southern Tacoma)

Old 12-13-2020, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,558 times
Default Thank you

Thank you that was very helpful!

Old 12-13-2020, 10:24 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,291,410 times
I’m not black either but I really don’t think you’ll have any issues in Tacoma. It’s a really diverse place. You might get a racist yahoo here or there but it’s an exception to the rule.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:32 PM

37 posts, read 23,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJaye78 View Post
I was offered a job in Tacoma and I am wondering how safe the city is for black people. I am currently living in Oakland California which is pretty diverse for the most part. However, this new post MAGA era I do worry about my safety traveling and living in some parts of the country as a Black Man. Could anyone shed some light on this issue.
Bahahaha, new MAGA era. You can ask the multiple black people who've been murdered by BLM if your immaginary MAGA people are an issue. Candace Owens isn't flying to Tacoma to get you. Tacoma has bad areas and good areas. I'd avoid the bad ones.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:15 AM

4,897 posts, read 2,053,213 times
Quote:
I’m mixed Black and I can tell you this much... I don’t fear the MAGAs, KKK, the Nazis or whatever White hate group you can think of in Tacoma. If you’re honest and the stats don’t lie, you know what group of people that a Black Male has a greater chance of being a victim of in a violent crime encounter... I’ll give you a little hint . It’s not those evil MAGAs.

In today world, it’s now a hate-crime to tell the truth.

Seriously, I’d avoid areas to the South and East parts of Tacoma. Tacoma isn’t the same Tacoma that it was back in the 1980s and up into the 2000s where Black, Samoan, Hispanic and Asian street gangs terrorized everybody, to include Black people. Trust me, none of these street monsters were KKK members or jack booted Nazis.

Tacoma is now being flooded by the middle-class White progressive liberals who cannot afford to live in Seattle. Also, the Tacoma Police Department will respond in a timely manner if you call them... Unlike in Seattle where a Priority-One call takes an average of 9 minute to get a cop out to you.

My son-in-law is a hard working White kid that leans very hard to those progressive liberal beliefs. And with that said, he now owns an AR-15 rifle and a 12 gage pump action shotgun... A year ago his punk @zz hated guns and the people that owned them. Now within the next month I’ll be helping him to pick out the right Glock 19 or a Glock 43x 9mm pistols.

Seriously, you being a Black man with some street smarts, you will be fine... I’d look at areas to the North and West, to include University Place.... Just know that the traffic isn’t a joke and there are several good eateries that lean towards some good Southern cooking, Chicago, Philly and NYC/Brooklyn are well established restaurants.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:40 AM

439 posts, read 423,111 times
Quote:
Tacoma is very diverse (for the great white north), we are home to a few military bases that bring in different populations. I live in the much maligned Southside (98444) and while yes we do have higher visible crime than the North End, we are a friendly, diverse neighborhood. The North end, Ruston, UP, etc., are the "nicer" areas and are primarily white although that is slowly changing.

The conservatives here (like me) are primarily non-Trump types. I am sure there are racists out there and I can say my friends have experienced it. It's primarily the passive aggressive white liberal racism like writing letters to the school board, calling the popo for various odd things, exclusion, realtor shenanigans, etc. There was one idiot who yelled the n word at the Puyallup Walmart a few years back.

We have some fantastic people who do some awesome things in our community, one of my friends has brought back the Black Panther Party here in T Town, but with a focus on promoting the black community through entrepreunerialism, etc. He is something of a public figure here and I can send you his FB if you like, he is very open to chatting.

Our mayor is a black woman, and I voted for her and although sometimes she irritates me with odds and ends, she typically does what is best for our city. TPD is pretty good, issues with them have been few and far between. Responsive and community oriented in general. My church is a historically black church so I do get to hear what goes on and also hear perspectives out of my own which is nice. If you are looking for a church I can recommend several around here if you like.

More importantly, does this mean you're a Raiders fan

Old 12-14-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post

Tacoma is now being flooded by the middle-class White progressive liberals who cannot afford to live in Seattle. Also, the Tacoma Police Department will respond in a timely manner if you call them... Unlike in Seattle where a Priority-One call takes an average of 9 minute to get a cop out to you.

My son-in-law is a hard working White kid that leans very hard to those progressive liberal beliefs. And with that said, he now owns an AR-15 rifle and a 12 gage pump action shotgun... A year ago his punk @zz hated guns and the people that owned them. Now within the next month I’ll be helping him to pick out the right Glock 19 or a Glock 43x 9mm pistols.

Seriously, you being a Black man with some street smarts, you will be fine... I’d look at areas to the North and West, to include University Place.... Just know that the traffic isn’t a joke and there are several good eateries that lean towards some good Southern cooking, Chicago, Philly and NYC/Brooklyn are well established restaurants.
The flood is mostly in the North End, Ruston, UP, etc. I live in the Southside and unfortunately here, the Lincoln District, and Hilltop is experiencing a gang resurgence. The "homeless" camps store and move the drugs, the gangs run the process. And take the money lol

Why is your son in law out buying things he hates and most likely can't use correctly anyway?

YES! We have awesome restaurants here. Hamhock Jones, My 4 Sons BBQ, El Rinconsito on 72nd, etc.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:00 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
I would think Tacoma is a lot safer than Oakland. For anyone!

As the last sentence a couple posts back alludes… You will probably face much more risk from being perceived as a Raiders fan in Seahawks country, than from any differences based on race.

Tacoma is a growing, successful, mostly still affordable midsize city with the typical population demographics for city of its size. There are no really bad areas that would compare to bad areas in larger cities. There are lower income areas… And areas with lots of public housing, but I wouldn’t call those inherently unsafe... And I worked in Social Services in Salishan and up on the hilltop for almost a decade... back when it was actually more dangerous... and never had any real fear then.

The biggest risk in Tacoma these days is finding places that are still affordable for entry-level buyers! Prices have gone way up even in the formally lower income areas. You will have to shop according to your budget not your race so much. You will be safe anywhere you can afford to be :-)

I personally wouldn’t want to be in the downtown core of any city until we stop having the kinds of civil unrest protest activity that we’ve been having lately. There is lots of the growth in Tacoma suburbia these days - much of that new growth is happening out towards Puyallup. Best area for you depends on which side of town your new job will be in. I would try to live as close to work as practical, long commutes can wear on your joy as much as any fears about local neighborhoods.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 12-14-2020 at 09:11 AM..

Old 12-14-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
As the last sentence a couple posts back alludes… You will probably face much more risk from being perceived as a Raiders fan in Seahawk’s country, than from any differences based on race.
I'm a 9ers fan. It's a bay area thing (although the Raiders keep getting evicted LOLOLOLOL!!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington