Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:45 AM

24 posts, read 164,386 times

Advertisements

Hello all - Happy New Year! I have read many of the posts on Sequim, so I feel pretty confident about the area, however, I thought I would ask some questions pertaining to our particular situation. We are a family of six (four children ages 11, 8, 3 and newborn) and currently live in Florida. Since we have been married, my husband and I have moved to New York (Buffalo area) and to Colorado (Woodland Park/Pikes Peak region). We actually loved both of those places more so than the beaches of Florida, however we keep returning to this area because this is where we grew up and friends/family reside here. We are getting the urge to relocate again, but this time we want to put down roots and stay put. I am from Ohio originally and adore season changes, fall colors, snow. My husband grew up in the country and adores wide open spaces, farmland, hunting, fishing, small towns and friendly folk. My passions are gardening (English Cottage - roses, lavender, etc...) photography, writing, anything outdoors. Our boys love to fish, explore nature, tidal pools, look for wildlife (are obsessed with elk, deer, eagles, etc..). They like to target shoot and go boating. Basically, we are looking for a place that has a little something for us all. Our parents/family/friends love to travel and would visit often. Our jobs are as nurses (me ER/ICU etc... and my hubby nurse anesthesia). I hear it may not be a problem finding work in the medical field. I also do some work as an interior designer... may not be the thing in this area.

So, with all of this in mind... does Sequim sound right for us? I have been up that way before, but not with moving there in mind, so I did not pay attention. Actually, my kids want to move to Alaska, but I don't want to get crazy! I have always dreamed of living in Vancouver B.C. I just feel like this might be our paradise. We don't mind clouds/rain. I love changing weather. Florida is way too hot, flat and buggy for me.

Any advice or tips would be great. I worry about the schools, but I may home school as I have in the past. I also want my kids to have nice friends too. Are there any sports or boy scouts or Tae Kwon do? We are a tight knit family and mostly hang out together, but that can get old for a kid.

Thanks in advance for reading my very long post and offering any suggestions regarding working/living/playing and raising a family in the Pacific North West!

Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 09:54 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,893,519 times
Heather, my husband and I lived in Florida for 15 years before moving to western WA in 2007. We did a LOT of research before we relocated. During our trips to visit our daughter in Seattle, we would check out surrounding areas with our future move in mind. We had a list of wants & needs too (very important) and as we visited towns, we had to push ourselves to look past the tourist & fluffy stuff and actually imagine living in each location. That helped narrow our choices considerably. We also had to keep coming back to the list and remind ourselves of our top priorities. Some of the communities we checked out were Bellingham, Anacortes, Sequim, Port Townsend, La Conner, Mt. Vernon, Camano Island, Langley & Coupeville on Whidbey Island, Bainbridge Island, Gig Harbor, Kingston and Poulsbo. This was longterm "project" that spanned about five years. We chose Poulsbo and it's been a perfect fit FOR US. Everyone's wants & needs list is different, so I would never say this would be the right choice for all, but we love living here and have never once second guessed our decision.

After reading some of the desires on your list, just from areas above that I'm familiar with, I'd suggest you check out Bellingham as a good possibility (also Mt. Vernon and Anacortes). Bellingham has--or is close to--most of the things on your want list. There are so many other areas up here that might fit your family too, and the many helpful and knowledgeable folks on this forum will have some other great suggestions.

Good luck with your search and have a very Happy New Year!

Lynn

Old 01-01-2009, 02:44 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,797 times
I grew up in Florida, so I know what you mean by flat and muggy! We have also lived in many different parts of the US (including Hawaii) and have found Port Angeles to suit a growing family. I actually work as an RN in the only Hospital on the peninsula, but there are many medical facilities here, as retirees from CA are flocking here, so hurry up while the prices have gotten better than last summer!! Your interests will ALL be met on the peninsula (Sequim or Port Angeles area), but as for schools, I hear Sequim High is WAY better than Port Angeles. We have MANY outdoor activities, as well as indoor, like martial arts, you name it, we pretty much got it, except for mini golf and an ice rink (wish we had). The rivers and mountains are just minutes away and are "Spectacular" the weather is mild usually, lots of rainy days in the winter, good for snuggling. The restaurants are minimal, but a weekend out of town can cure that! I have not been to Bellingham yet, but I hear it's nice too, but LARGE.. If you like a small town feel, PA has the friendliest people around. As for Poulsbo, It's nice, but too close to the masses and how long does it take to get to the rivers and mountains??? And way too expensive as it is a hub for Seattleites!
Luckily you are RN's as the jobs here in non medical fields are scarce at this time.. But we do love interior decorating, as we spend lots of time indoors in the winter.
OK enough from me, someone else want to comment!!!!!

Old 01-01-2009, 04:01 PM

Thank you both for your replies. They are so helpful. Do either of you miss anything about Florida? I cried when we drove back into town from Colorado. The beaches are gorgeous, but after thirty years of sand, I am ready to commune with nature on a grander scale! I am not concerned with the clouds, fog, rain and cold weather as much as my hubby is. What is the real deal on this? I end up spending most of my time indoors here due to the high heat and mosquitos anyway, so there are always trade offs. My theory is that it is ok to be overcast if you are surround by absolute splendor. Here you can be in the sun all the time and be just plain miserable. Keep the comments coming.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:08 PM

See next message.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:12 PM

Kailani - what places do you recommend for work as a nurse between Port Angeles and Port Townsend? What is the average pay per hour for a hospital RN up that way - if you don't mind me asking. Here it ranges between $20 and $30 per hour depending on scheduling (nights/weekends).

Old 01-01-2009, 07:50 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,797 times
zone8Heather- Our facility starts out at like $24+ an hour in the med/surg unit. I am not sure about the other units, but I know they are more!! They also have great shift differentials! I work eves and love it! I am not sure how many 12 hour positions they hire, but I know there are some.
I also forgot to mention the Port Townsend hospital. They don't pay as much and are a much smaller facility.
PT is a nice community, yet it is quite a drive to get to any rivers or mountains.

Sequim is an up-and-coming area with numerous new medical facilities. My hospital has satellite facilities there, so you would get the same payscale and benefits.

As for Florida, I LOVE to visit!! We always go to the beaches, go boating, drink beers at the waterfront restaurants, but when we tried to move back after being away for 10 years, it just wasn't the same. TONS of traffic on I-95, HEAT HEAT and MORE HEAT, BUGS, sweat, etc... We stopped doing the things you do on vacation. I miss my family there, but at least I can visit! I don't think I'd want to move back, unless I hit the lottery and could afford the things needed there.. nothings is free there. As for the Olympic mountains, we are always going up in the hills, sitting by rivers, driving, seeing waterfalls and beaches, for free!! And there's not much congestion, even in the summer.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 17,210 times
Hello, I just moved to Sequim from the Seattle area a few months ago. We have a soon to be 7 and 4 year old. We had only about 6 months research to go by, but We decided on Sequim. So far I love it! We are up on a hill and the view is Amazing! Supposedly Sequim is the Banana Belt and not supposed to get as much rain as everywhere else?? Since we've been here it does rain (obviously) but usually during the night or if it's during the day it doesn't seem to stay around long. I have heard that for every inch out of Sequim you get another inch of rain??? but again I am new to the area so don't really have "FACTS". What I love about Sequim is that your pretty much in the middle of everything, yet still country and cozy. The hubby and I just drove to Lake Crescent this past weekend about 45min away for a day Hike It was great. And during the Holiday's we drove to both Port Townsend and Poulsbo (40-45 minutes ) Both are super cute towns with great little shops, but more pricey and touristy than Sequim. I have views of the Olympics plus the strait. I have seen many sightings of Elk (a herd of 50+ and tons of Deer everywhere). There's a Couple nice parks to take the kids to. Beaches to play at. Everyone seems friendly. plenty of sports activities. Not much for indoor activities but plenty of outdoor adventure close by. I love that it seems like a close knit supportive community. I love the local produce *Nash's Farm for organic produce and Sunny Farms is a little hometown grocery store with mostly local items (Don't worry it's not total Hick-ville you also have your Chain stores Safeway and QFC).

Anyway hope this helps a little :>)

Happy New year and Good Luck to you!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:02 AM

576 posts, read 2,261,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellbeelou View Post
I have heard that for every inch out of Sequim you get another inch of rain???
Wow! Actually I think the saying goes for every mile you drive west of the Sequim/PA area, you'll get about another inch of rain annually.

Anyway to the OP, come spend a few weeks here, talk to the nice folks at OMC (Olympic Medical Center) in PA (Port Angeles), try Clallam county on for size and see what you and your husband think!

This time of the year is our "rainy season". If you can handle the gray and wet now, you'll absolutely love the rest of the year on the peninsula!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:19 PM

52 posts, read 349,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
...Actually I think the saying goes for every mile you drive west of the Sequim/PA area, you'll get about another inch of rain annually...
Actually its more than an inch per mile

Port Angeles averages *24.0 inches per year, Forks gets about **116.7 inches. Its about 45 miles the way a crow flies so doing the math, its a smidge over 2 inches per mile. If you take the driving distance of 55.2 miles, its about 1.7 inches per mile.

*Data derived from PORT ANGELES, CLALLAM COUNTY (48.11°N 123.43°W elevation 88 feet). 74 complete years between 1917 and 1995

**Data derived from FORKS 1 E station (47.95°N 124.36°W elevation 347 feet). 73 complete years between 1908 and 1995
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington