Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,546 times

Advertisements

I am interested in the culture of folks in both places: 1. The Sequim / Port Angeles Area
2. Bellingham Area 3 Any other. I'm looking for a more liberal open minded evolved community.
I'm a 50 single nurse looking to relocate. I like to be able to access concerts and city events,
however would love a home by a creek with critters.
I currently work and live in the Portland area as a Home Health Nurse. When I make patient visits there
is a considerable difference in folks from one end to the other. In the Hillsboro, North Plains area,
it's all corn fields and the folks tend to make racist remarks. Closer to Portland, especially Sellwood
area, it's more evolved & eclectic, tolerant & diverse.
I have FOUR cats and own a condo. I'm considering moving and renting . . and then eventually
possibly buying a new home once the condo sells. I'd love a small house near a water source,
creek, etc. Mechelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 02:42 PM

576 posts, read 2,261,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechelle413 View Post
Closer to Portland, especially Sellwood area, it's more evolved & eclectic, tolerant & diverse.
Mechelle:

It's the same way in WA. The closer you are to a major metro area, the more "evolved & eclectic, tolerant & diverse" (as you put it) the population is likely to be. Sequim/PA are small towns with populations that tend (simply as a generalization! ) to be more homogeneous in thought, word and deed- just like the small Oregon towns you referenced in your post.

Bellingham is bigger (besides, it's a university town) so you will likely find more of what you seek there. For some reason, Olympia comes to mind as potentially meeting your criteria- particularly for employment opportunities.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:26 AM

53 posts, read 179,235 times
Hey everyone, I too am thinking of relocating to Port Angeles or Bellingham. Here's a bit about me: I'm a single mom on my late 20s, vegetarian, very liberal (but not a hippie!) and very into nature living in a place which is asthetically (sp?) beautiful. Any insight? Honestly the idea of living off in the forest away from the things of man really appeals to me, but I'd like to meet some friends too!

Oh --- and how dog friendly? I cant wait to get a dog!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 11:45 AM

576 posts, read 2,261,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalolina View Post
Hey everyone, I too am thinking of relocating to Port Angeles or Bellingham. Here's a bit about me: I'm a single mom on my late 20s, vegetarian, very liberal (but not a hippie!) and very into nature living in a place which is asthetically (sp?) beautiful. Any insight? Honestly the idea of living off in the forest away from the things of man really appeals to me, but I'd like to meet some friends too!

Have you visited either town? If so, which one did you like the best? If not, I'd suggest perhaps starting with the Fairhaven District of Bellingham. See how living in or around Fairhaven might meet your criteria.

Port Angeles is more isolated, conservative and "blue-collar" than Bellingham is. Not that any of these descriptors are undesirable per se, rather IMO a "vegetarian, very liberal" as you describe yourself would, I suspect, likely be a little happier overall living in Bellingham. Anyway, that's where I'd suggest you look first-

Old 05-22-2010, 12:42 PM

53 posts, read 179,235 times
I haven't lived either place, and I know this if horrible but, I don't think I'll be able to. I like the "more isolated" part, but I'm not so big on the conservative. Not that there is anything wrong with that, its just not for me. Are people in either place friendly/welcoming? Which is prettier? That's not a deciding factor, just nice to know.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:38 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Port Angeles is much nicer and safer than Bellingham.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:59 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,651,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Port Angeles is much nicer and safer than Bellingham.
LOL. Comparing the two is pretty silly. They're nothing alike.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
Nobody mentioned Victoria? PA has the advantage of a major city just a walk-on ferry away! Loren01, I.
LOL Victoria and Bellingham are about the same size. And Bellingham doesn't dump their raw effluent into the Straights.

And Bellingham is actually closer to Vancouver.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalolina View Post

Bellingham is way more your speed. Waaaaaaay more.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,775 times
If dendrite is still around, drop me an email, I'd like to know how the PA choice went. I too have an option to go there but am luke-warm about the small town politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington