Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,469,509 times

Advertisements

Many longtime WA residents remember the times around 1990, when people were pouring in and hostility to those from California was in the air, especially in Seattle. C-D.c didn't exist back then, but had it existed, this would have been a very lively forum. I'm kind of curious how much of this lingers, and how much it affects us here. Please do understand: I am not singling out or even thinking of any individual poster. I am just wondering if Washington residents have the same impulses I sometimes feel (which is not to say I necessarily act on them)?

1) Do you tend to stereotype/bucket prospective NW immigrants' opening posts? For example: "35ish mom in Southern California, seeking cheaper way of life and steady construction work for husband. Ideally with easy access to beach and mountains, snow and sun. Must have Trader Joe's or some other alternative to trashy shopping as we are very upscale. Must have tolerant environment for left-wing politics as my own politics are not very tolerant of right-wing intolerance. Kids are gifted so must have great schools and low crime. Prefer artsy community." When I see that, my first thought is: Wow. In Christianity or Islam you can get that result, but you have to believe in the religion and then die in order to obtain it. Are there any other points of a Perfect Idyllic Life we can help you with? Since I don't know of any actual Utopias in Washington, I always feel like there's not much I can do to help. Every place here has some actual flaws of some kind, like every other place in the world.

2) Do you sometimes go so far as to simply not read threads that hint at origin from any state from which you would prefer not to have more people, or do you take some convincing in the original post, kind of a litmus test? I admit I'm guilty of this. I won't identify the state, but it's in the east and south, and having been there several times the very last thing I want is any of that insanity here. But if someone seems like they are far less stupid than the people I saw close up on home turf, I feel kind of badly for them and might tend to help them.

I guess I'm admitting to mild but not rigid prejudices. I'm wondering if the same exists for others, or maybe in different ways, and most of all whether it actually affects Washington residents' willingness to guide anyone in finding a place here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 05:09 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,358,532 times
Hilarious post, I wish they would have let me rep you for it.
Yup, I see a lot of posts that hint at " I love diversity and world class artworkand I love greenery but I don't like rain, and want to make sure that my Johnny doesn't have to go to school with THOSE people."

Old 02-24-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Hilarious post, I wish they would have let me rep you for it.
I wonder why the repping was not possible. While there's a note of comedy, I'm genuinely curious to know if the old viewpoints have ebbed away, or if remnants remain. It may be that some people still retain bits and pieces of prejudgment, but do not desire to cop to it. That I can understand. That said, it's a serious, honest inquiry not intended to discourage or hurt anyone--and very pertinent to the Evergreen State.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,358,532 times
I think the state of the economy has changed a lot of viewpoints toward Californians. They used to get blamed for all our problems, particularly rising costs of housing, and there was a bit of truth to it. Californians were used to much higher housing costs, so our prices appeared to be a bargain, and some people from California seemed eager to pay them
But now, prices are falling both here and in California, and I think the resentment has faded for the most part, and at least in the Seattle area there are so people here who are from here.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I think the state of the economy has changed a lot of viewpoints toward Californians. They used to get blamed for all our problems, particularly rising costs of housing, and there was a bit of truth to it. Californians were used to much higher housing costs, so our prices appeared to be a bargain, and some people from California seemed eager to pay them
But now, prices are falling both here and in California, and I think the resentment has faded for the most part, and at least in the Seattle area there are so people here who are from here.
Yeah, even by the time I left Seattle in '97 people were having a tough time working up an old school Cali-bash session. Whereas in '90, Cali tags said 'don't let me merge onto the freeway, and please give me a ticket'. Now it seems a non-issue.

I guess it only comes up for me when I see a glaring manifestation of the stereotypes, which is rare enough simply because California is such a large and diverse place. But it does surprise me how many people have an image of Washington as a sort of promised land where you can find any combination of conditions you desire. In reality, it is not quite so simple, and compromises are always required. For example, if you want near-Arizona summers, we can help you out here in Tri-Cities. But you'll buy that with four months of icy winds, which hot weather lovers might not adore. Leavenworth is quaint (at least if you think it's quaint for a mountain backwater to suddenly decide to play German dressup one fine day), but its people can hardly afford to reside there.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:49 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,733,559 times
Like a lot of people I lived in California. Also lived in Texas. And some other places.

Does that make me Californian? Texan? I don't feel any particular attachment to either one of them.

As is widely reported, the average American moves every five years. A lot of people aren't from anywhere in particular.

Plenty of people now in Washington will probably move somewhere else when they get finished living here. It's the American way.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
i dont know what you are referring to, btw can i park my SUV in your driveway i promise i wont leave the music on too loud. hey was that you on that bicycle iback there i almost ran over, wow man you gota be more careful dude.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,840,745 times
I used to be a Californian.

Now I am a Washingtonian.

I used to think the people in Washington were poor, not too smart, and not very attractive.

But since I moved here, they have gotten richer, smarter and a lot better looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington