Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:26 AM

309 posts, read 1,026,267 times

Advertisements

So we have a choice to live in either of these places. My wife has job offers in both. ABQ actually pays a bit more (and with a bigger bonus), but both seem to be having a rough time in the tech field (which is my field).

Pros of ABQ-

1. Lower cost of living
2. More sunshine, warmer summers
3. Potentially less allergy problems for the wife

Cons of ABQ-

1. Dry (I have dry cracked feet in the winter here in Mo)
2. Smaller city, nothing around for hours aside from Santa Fe and a smattering of mountains
3. No Fresh Seafood

Pros of Tacoma

1. FRESH seafood at our fingertips
2. 3.5 million metro area - lots of restaraunts, varied ethinic foods
3. More to do outdoors - I love camping and hiking.. wife doesn't

Cons of Tacoma

1. Higher cost of living
2. Cloudy 200-220 days a year (not a problem for me though)
3. Near a volcano and earthquakes are more frequent than ABQ

I could probably think of hundreds of other pros and cons. We have been to both and found both areas to be beautiful and certainly better in our opinions than Missouri.

I'm thinking the biggest PRO in ABQ is the lower cost of living. My wife was offered a job in Tacoma for 61k with only a possiblity of a relocation bonus up to 5k. In ABQ she can get a sign on bonus of 10k and the job is offering 65k. (not only does it pay more, 65k goes farther than in Tacoma)

The biggest pro for Tacoma is a combination of the fresh seafood and having so many things to do. Tons of parks, loads of water (can't really swim, but eh, I'm not a big lake/ocean swimmer anyway, I prefer a pool), mountains, camping, and so much more.

I would love some opinions or have you guys sway us towards Tacoma. It is going to be a huge decision for us either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 08:11 AM

392 posts, read 1,557,750 times
I can't speak at all towards ABQ, but Tacoma area has been great for us. Remember that the 200 cloudy days each year aren't 24hr clouds. It may be cloudy for a while, then sunny, then cloudy. I'm not saying it can't wear on you, but it's not the constant gloom many make it out to be.
You're 1/2hr from Seattle, 1/2hr from Olympia, 2hrs from Portland, 2hrs from Victoria, BC, the options for culture and city are numerous. Hiking and outdoor activities are wonderful.
I've lived here 12 years and have felt one earthquake, no damage. The volcano sure is pretty, and it may indeed erupt in the next 500 years, in which case much of the surrounding area is in trouble. I'll take those odds over yearly fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.
Cost of living and pay are things to consider. Overall, we love it here.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:58 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,107,915 times
Since the two areas are completely different in climate, and since climate can deeply influence one's day-to-day emotions, you should seriously consider exactly how much you want arid-hot-lots of pools, and how much you want dark-drizzly-no pools.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,743 posts, read 58,090,525 times
After 26 yrs in PNW (& 25 in CO) I would take ABQ in a heartbeat.

Take extended vacations to AK or Asia if you like fresh seafood. Go when the weather is decent, and enjoy 300+ days of sunshine in NM. There are some very nice mtn areas within commute distance to ABQ. The people are friendly (as in WARM and friendly, not just polite). You have a nice airport with direct connections to great places.

You can go visit Tacoma some summer and enjoy a good % of the annual benefit. Then you will be glad you chose ABQ.

I will bet your feet will be healthier in NM

Sorry not tooting Tacoma much... It has it's nice points, and if you want Cool, Dark, and crowds it would be fine. You just need to be prepared to do stuff in the rain, and bring your checkbook, as WA is really digging a deep debt. ($8.5B this yr). No income tax, but watch the property and business taxes. Location is critical. I pay $33/day in WA property taxes, but 1/4 mile away I would ONLY pay $20 / day

Old 03-07-2009, 07:11 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
I have lived in the high desert and although it has some pleasant aspects I simply cannot take the high solar levels, the scrubby plantlife, and the regular doses of blowing dirt. I would favor Tacoma.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:25 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,988,622 times
Wink A fish taco?

Live where your heart is.

Since you´ve given this some serious thought, I´ll elaborate. I like both places, if in a general sense, however the exact neighborhood you choose in either of these locals will make a big difference. Having visited each, I think you know what I mean.

Albuquerque, NM offers an easy life with ready access to amenities, if one has any degree of money. You know the climate and it couldn't be much different from Puget Sound. Also, as you mentioned, a much lower cost of living. Personally I prefer something smaller and further north, more like Taos, NM, but Albuquerque offers ready access to both desert and mountains, particularly easy given the relative lack of traffic. You may come to appreciate Santa Fe, NM being less than an hour distant, with its creative ambience. About as close as you'll come in New Mexico to the sophistication of the PNW.

I've heard there are some nice neighborhoods in Tacoma, although more inclined to try somewhere such as Gig Harbor, WA, if possible. Having experienced a bit more of the winter here I'm inclined to think the common lore of grey skies propaganda to a degree, something to induce those from California, etc. to look elsewhere. Sure, lots of rain and clouds, but also blue skies and sun from time to time. Due humidity near freezing temperatures feel cooler than one might expect, but it doesn't get really cold. But then Albuquerque won't either, and much drier. But I kind of like it, for what it is. Somewhat puzzled by all the moaning about when spring will ever arrive, as the infrequent snows at low elevation can be ever so lovely. If one doesn't have to drive in them.

This last might bare some discussion. If near Puget Sound I'd do your best to avoid long commutes, or any at all if possible. Particularly on I-5. Or at least allow for flexibility and refuse to drive at certain times. Many people don't, or do not believe they have the option, and the results plainly evident come every storm on the evening news. Drivers from such as Colorado or New Mexico could never appreciate how slippery snow can be when wet, almost slush or water. Or the ice, which they generally wouldn't comprehend either. Around Puget Sound it takes on a whole new meaning, since night time and early morning temperatures are often hovering somewhere near freezing. A perfect recipe for a mess. But the treacherous roads that see many a hapless victim spun off the side or in an accident but hours later only mildly wet and perfectly benign. Anyway, I'd give just this alone some thought.

It certainly is a beautiful area, although I dare say a good deal of this due the many evergreens and other growth that hide to an extent the seemingly endless suburban sprawl, much of it apparently constructed without benefit of any architect or other aesthetic. This same complaint might be extended to the prevailing mindset which considers it perfectly acceptable to clear-cut huge chunks of forest. Google Earth will clearly demonstrate this lamentable state of affairs. A long drive around the Olympic peninsula will provide ample proof in person. In fact from space the borders of Olympic National Park are clearly evident by the barren clear-cuts right up to the park's edge. But within is a gem of a park, and largely virgin. Besides all this, with so much native foliage, a little careful landscaping and you might live within a city of sorts but forget as much.

If thinking long term, you might consider global climate change. While affecting the entire globe, the impacts more severe in some regions, subjectively perhaps even positive in some others. The American Southwest one of those areas less favored. By that I mean if you value water. Look at most predictions and you'll see in the decades to come this region should become appreciably drier. This is already evident in the many piñon that have died in New Mexico and tragic loss of trees in Colorado due pine beetles. Aside from your surely changing landscape, you might also consider the coming availability and cost of household water. While not immune to such forces the PNW should fair better, even as adjustments will have to be made.

Another consideration might be the relative sizes of these two metro areas. Seattle metro is defined by the Cascades with relatively few passes across, and the water. Also the many people you might happen to see en-route for r&r, and maybe once there as well. They may all have the same idea as you when the weather is nice. Or not, as they can also be backed up in a snow storm on I-90 any given weekend. In this respect Albuquerque is ever so much easier to escape from. Just a lot less people, with a whole lot more space in every direction. Of course some people from the PNW might wonder why you ever bothered once you got there (wherever that is), as unlikely to be nearly as lush. But that a relative thing.

They may not fully appreciate chile's either.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:19 AM

35 posts, read 161,578 times
Tacoma's great! I live in the Hilltop - often scorned for being a rough neighborhood. Its location up the hill from a rapidly gentrifying downtown has it feeling the benefits (and the housing is cheap and good quality). I like Tacoma's proximity to Seattle, as I love the energy of the city. Tacoma does have its fair (or maybe unfairly more) share of problems. Crime in certain areas at certain times can be bad, but its nothing like points East or down in California. We're still part of the wonderful Pacific Northwest. Let me know if you have any specific questions (i.e. types of neighborhoods you want, they money you have to fork over, etc.). It's a great place and a great time to be here!

Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 PM

309 posts, read 1,026,267 times
Thanks everybody, the wife accepted the job in Tacoma! We are going to be moving out there the first of May.

Finding an apartment is going to be fun, because neither of us can afford to take another day off, pay the cost of the flight and hotel room and look around at apartments in person. We will try and get a 6 month lease in case we don't like it.

My wife will be working over in the area of S Union and S 23rd street. We have two in mind that are pretty close (might need to move depending on where I aquire employment) - Park 19 and Cedar Court by the Mall. I'll do what research I can online, but our price range is between 650 and 800 dollars a month, at least until I get a job, which seems to require me moving there to even get considered. If anybody has some rental suggestions, I'd love it!

Old 03-20-2009, 03:20 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,249,829 times
Having lived in both Tacoma and ABQ, I'd pick ABQ. DM me if you have specific questions.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:41 PM

238 posts, read 866,361 times
I personally wouldn't rent around the mall unless I was at Apex Apartments. They are pretty pricey though. There are a bunch of newer townhomes west of the mall but the area still has some problems. Try to keep north of I-5/Hwy 16. Not sure if you are looking for a 1 or 2 bed. If a 1 bed works then you should have lots of choices. 2 beds for under $800 you will probably be in some less desirable areas/buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington