Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 61,383 times

Advertisements

Ever since I started looking into the possibility of moving to Wenatchee (central WA), I have been very impressed. In fact, part of me wonders why the whole country hasn't already started moving in! It's not huge, yet it's strong and growing, and is located in the beautiful valley of the Columbia river, with mountains on one side, and desert on the other. My husband and I are flying out to visit soon, with the intent of buying some land.

Is anyone on this forum from that area? What are your predictions for growth in the area? Just like everyone else, we want to buy that "undiscovered" piece of land that's affordable and will sky-rocket in value over the next 10 years.

My job is quite transferrable, but my husband is a computer/electrical engineer for Sprint and I'm not sure what opportunities he'll have there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 09:15 PM

223 posts, read 1,274,750 times
The biggest down side, like most small towns, is the job market. While it is growing, there's really not all that much there. Wenatchee is quite hot (100+ fairly regularly) in the summer and can be quite cold in the winter. If it matters to you one way or the other, the politics and social climate there are very conservative.

Short form: Nice place, but don't plan to get rich there.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 61,383 times
Thanks--yeah, I suspected the social/political climate would be more conservative than western WA. But, I live in KS right now, and I can hardly imagine a more conservative climate. (Our state has tried to prevent the teaching of evolution in schools, for crying out loud!)

Being from the midwest/Iowa originally, I appreciate the hot hot and cold cold. I think the job market is the one down-side that would hurt us the most. We're used to a high-level income here, but we'd have to get used to the idea that we'd make a lot less.

But in terms of child-rearing--this seems like a great place. We don't have kids yet, but I think I'd rather raise a family in central washington than suburban KC. I want our children to value the outdoors.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:41 AM

121 posts, read 535,931 times
My brother moved over to East Wenatchee from this side about 10 years ago...he has never looked back. He and his family love it.

The only downside he mentions is that the cost of housing is going up pretty quickly over there...so it's not quite as affordable as it once was. But if you can find a good job...I think it's a great place.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:36 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,000 times
Default Wenatchee Air Quality

A friend of mine likes in Wenatchee and occassionally they have air quality problems. I don't know the details, but you would see the pollution levels go up during winter temperature inversions. Also there is a dust problem, typical of most places with an agriculture economy. You should be able to use google to dig up some news on this.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:45 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,927 times
I remember talking about pros/cons of wenatchee before... Here's the thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...wenatchee.html

Old 03-28-2007, 08:02 AM

39 posts, read 172,406 times
Default Wenatchee

Don't know if it matters to you, but the school district in Wenatchee is apparently over 40% hispanic. That's what the chamber of commerce told us last year when we investigated the town as a place to move. There is a very large and growing Mexican population on the fringes and older parts of town. Much high-end housing (hundreds of homes) going up on the hill in East Wenatchee looking back toward town ($400 - $700k a year ago, probably more now). Last spring Wenatchee was one of the ten fastest growing towns in the U.S.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,698,457 times
I love it there

The only problem is the job market to us, there's no way we would find the jobs we have now, and especially for how much we make

Old 03-28-2007, 03:13 PM

29 posts, read 181,060 times
I moved here a year ago from California and have never looked back. With the price of housing rising so fast I just wonder how the people here can afford it. I guess the county is becoming a retirement suburb of Seattle. For better or worse this place is booming.......

Old 07-01-2007, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 33,249 times
Smile Wow how diverse

I like to see what people think of this town. I have lived here all my life. Iam on the verge of leaving and moving to Las Vegas. I have to admit is going to be a drastic change but Wenatchee is a great place to live. I have had my ups and down but all in all Wenatchee is growing and growing, But it still has that small town charm. For ones that have lived here for a long time it seems like it never changes.
I have to say all it does it gets more houses thats all. Houseing has gone up but thats everywhere.
I'm looking forward to our move. Iam looking forward to the future to somewhere new but you know I will never forget Wenatchee.
For everyone that moves here I say to you Have a great time here. For you that are relocating and everything I say change is good.
You have picked a great town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington