Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 23,977 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Now that we are retired and are looking to move from here, I was wondering if the Ellensburg area, and up west of that, have any rattlesnakes? I know I have seen them in Yakima and Vantage but I was told Ellensburg has none. OR rather no poisonous snakes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
I would be very surprised if any part of eastern Washington didn't have some form of rattlers. Why are you so worried about them? They are one of the remotest possible dangers you face. Even when out in the bush or forest, if you watch where you walk you just about have to work at it in order to get bit by a rattler. Given any chance at all the rattler will flee from you or ignore you, as (unless you are a record-settingly small midget) you are far too large to eat and probably far too large to fight. I think you're just as likely to find a scorpion in your kitchen. Twice in my life, in diverse parts of eastern Washington, have I found a scorpion in my house. Never have I found a rattler in my yard.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 23,977 times
Past experience has taught me that if your scared of snakes, you will be the one to find one! Also... I have 3 small dogs and my spouse is deaf so he couldn't hear one. I never have heard of scorpions in Ellensburg area, what type are they?

Old 03-30-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowernymph View Post
Past experience has taught me that if your scared of snakes, you will be the one to find one! Also... I have 3 small dogs and my spouse is deaf so he couldn't hear one. I never have heard of scorpions in Ellensburg area, what type are they?
I don't know for sure that there are any in Ellensburg. I do know they live in parts of eastern Washington, having found some.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 9,445 times
I have lived in Ellensburg most of my life and I have never seen a rattle snake. My dad warned us when we were kids about avoiding them and I know that some people have come across them mostly up in the hills. I have never heard of someone finding them in the city area though. I would caution you about the dreadful wind in Ellensburg though. If you do not mind the wind then no problem but if you do then look elsewhere for a place to retire. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2010, 07:48 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I have never seen a rattler around E-burg. I have seen exactly one on our front porch in almost 20 years of living near Prosser.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by leaving North Idaho? I lived in Idaho Falls several years ago, which I know is in South Idaho, but outside of losing the high altitude and a somewhat milder winter, Eastern WA is similar to ID, at least in my opinion.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have never seen a rattler around E-burg. I have seen exactly one on our front porch in almost 20 years of living near Prosser.
It's totally off topic, but what do you think about the county seat rumblings? This time it sounds a little more serious. For reasons I can't imagine why, I'd bet Prosser and Whitstran are not enthused.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:53 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
It's totally off topic, but what do you think about the county seat rumblings? This time it sounds a little more serious. For reasons I can't imagine why, I'd bet Prosser and Whitstran are not enthused.
We actually have a Prosser mailing address but live in Yakima County. I note that just to say I don't have a dog in the fight.

In Prosser there are a lot of "don't move the seat" posters. A lot of administrative functions are already in Kennewick.

My own personal observation is that money is tight all over right now, IMHO this is not a good time to spend the money to move the county seat. And keep in mind that the "known costs" are just part of it, almost all American organizations right now have a lot of their expertise tied up in a cadre of Boomers who are nearing retirement age. If they move the seat, you can bet that a lot of the keepers of the tribal knowledge will just retire rather than commute to Kennewick daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington