Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 PM
SWP SWP started this thread

14 posts, read 44,776 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Seattle and plan to move to a smaller city/town. I was thinking about Bellingham as a possibility. I haven't been there but have met a couple people who grew up there. They think I'd like it there.

I am a literary and visual artist. I would like to get information on the art scene there. Is there a downtown area with high foot traffic from locals and tourists? Is Bellingham a touristy town?

Does the airport offer major domestic and international flights? What about medical coverage? Is there at least one hospital and major medical center? Are folks friendly there? Is it a place for singles or only families?

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 PM

576 posts, read 2,260,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP View Post
I currently live in Seattle and plan to move to a smaller city/town. I was thinking about Bellingham as a possibility. I haven't been there but have met a couple people who grew up there. They think I'd like it there.

I am a literary and visual artist. I would like to get information on the art scene there. Is there a downtown area with high foot traffic from locals and tourists? Is Bellingham a touristy town?

Does the airport offer major domestic and international flights? What about medical coverage? Is there at least one hospital and major medical center? Are folks friendly there? Is it a place for singles or only families?

Thanks for the info.
Hi SWP:

You're already living in Seattle? As you know, it's a straight shot up I-5 to Bellingham. Roughly an hour and a half drive. Why take my word for it? Rather you could go up and scope it out for yourself? You could book a room at a place such as The Chrysalis Inn & Spa (one of our favorites!) Spend 3 or 4 days wandering around town and see what you think?

As an artist, you'll likely want to start in the Fairhaven district and branch out from there.

The hospital in town is St. Joseph which is a 250 bed level III trauma center. It's not the size of Harborview but I think it's a nice mid sized hospital.

Most major and international flights are largely going to be out of SEA (SeaTac) rather than BLI (Bellingham).

I find Bellingham to be as friendly as any other mid sized city in western WA. We live on the peninsula but have spent a lot of time in Bellingham over the years. IMO, Bellingham is a smaller, slower paced version of Seattle if that helps.

There are multiple threads on this forum regarding Bellingham as you have noted. Again, nothing like going up and checking it out for yourself as you already live so close.

Good luck!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:47 PM
SWP SWP started this thread

14 posts, read 44,776 times
Thank you. I will make a short trip up there before deciding.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:03 PM

3 posts, read 9,120 times
as a tourist you may elect to commence your visit in Fairhaven...
as an artist, you may sell to the uninspired but still shopping tourist of Fairhaven.
Fairhaven has a lack of real stuff/inspiration and is best seen with shops closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington