Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2006, 12:22 PM

49 posts, read 232,632 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place to retire to and am considering Okanagan County or the Colville area. I like rain, some snow, wildlife, space, and privacy. I have lived in the past in a house off the grid, on generator power, and would consider doing so again, so long as there is year-round access on at least a maintained gravel road. I'm looking for a small (anything over 500 sq. ft. is okay) house, cottage, or cabin in decent condition, with at least five acres of at least partially treed land, for less than $85,000. I don't like heat, so higher elevations would be better. Might I find something like that in Okanagan County or the Colville area? If not, where might I? Any suggestions for who to contact? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2006, 11:31 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,093 times
you'll have a hard time finding something for 85k in Colville with something liveable on it. I made several trips there myself about a year ago, looking at land and property (ultimately I gave up after not finding what I wanted at the price I wanted).

You should be able get 5-10 acres for 30-40k though, so if you can build your own home or hire a contractor to assist you, you could possibly do it for 85k. There are also log kit homes (shell only) for about 30k, so it could be done feasibly if you don't mind sweat equity. Do your research though if you decide to go down that path.

If you look into Kettle Falls, also be careful as I ran into a lot of characters over there and was told by others that there are drug issues in that area.

I can't tell you much about Okanagan County, but I hear it's beautiful out there. Land is cheaper the further north you go, and seems to be cheaper than Colville.

Old 07-09-2006, 02:53 PM

291 posts, read 710,097 times
Might also look in Oregon (northeastern corner: Grande Ronde valley below Enterprise, or south central near Lakeview), north Idaho (Bonner's, Ferry County, or maybe Kooskia to Elk River), or if you don't mind longer/colder winters, northwestern Montana (Kootenai valley near Libby, or down around Philipsburg) or even northwest Wyoming (the Wind River valley near Dubois, or the Shoshoni near Thermopolis). These are just real pretty areas that are well worth a visit, and haven't been "discovered" and completely priced out like the Flathead and Yellowstone and Clark Fork and Bitterroot and Rogue and so many other valleys. The Okanagan is nice, but there are prettier valleys, they just don't have the orchards.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 21,793 times
try conconully, wa. Tiny place outside of Okanagen

Old 04-15-2007, 10:01 PM

17 posts, read 107,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetwho View Post
I'm looking for a place to retire to and am considering Okanagan County or the Colville area. I like rain, some snow, wildlife, space, and privacy. I have lived in the past in a house off the grid, on generator power, and would consider doing so again, so long as there is year-round access on at least a maintained gravel road. I'm looking for a small (anything over 500 sq. ft. is okay) house, cottage, or cabin in decent condition, with at least five acres of at least partially treed land, for less than $85,000. I don't like heat, so higher elevations would be better. Might I find something like that in Okanagan County or the Colville area? If not, where might I? Any suggestions for who to contact? Thanks!
I have a 2/1 house in Addy on 1/2 acre, that is ready to move in, quite neighborhood, but nice and helpful neighbors if you want them. Everyone keeps to themselves so it is nice to have, but also nice to not have. It has been recently remodeled so it is in great shape, brand new deck, and bathroom. If you are interested please contact me via email, we would sell it for 85,000 if we don't have to list it with a realtor. Please contact me immediatly if you are interested.
Thanks

Old 05-04-2007, 02:49 PM

14 posts, read 87,806 times
Default there are a lot of cabins around tthis area

I'd check with a realtor in orient or kettle falls - you can find land with a cabin (even with todays prices) for what you quoted.

(not sure about the rumors about kettle falls but since your not looking to move in town it dosen't matter much - so far, I like the area a lot. Beautiful views, right on the river and more fishing and hunting than I can fit in my schedule.)

Old 07-23-2013, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,754 times
Wow, We are moving there. Is it really as bad as it seems from the blogs on this page, they are quite old, so now I'm wondering if we should make this move ???.........hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirewalt1104 View Post
Wow, We are moving there. Is it really as bad as it seems from the blogs on this page, they are quite old, so now I'm wondering if we should make this move ???.........hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm
You're moving where? Colville? Okanogan County? Kettle Falls?

I'm not sure what the rumors you are describing are, but I grew up in Okanogan County and now live in Colville. Because of this, I may be biased, and very likely have a different opinion than a coastie moving over here for retirement.

I haven't experienced any excessive drug use or drug dealing in this area. There is a big faction of old hippies that are into their "recreational" drugs, but they are completely harmless. I'm sure that meth is a problem here, but I'm just assuming that's the case because every small town in WA state has some amount of a meth problem currently, although I don't know anyone who knows anyone on meth, and there have only been a few incidences of petty crime due to tweakers. And BTW, Kettle Falls and Colville are right next to each other and essentially the same town.

Okanogan County has it's own share of problems - again, minor meth issues, and (depending on where you live) an ongoing cultural battle between two specific ethnic groups. But, again, still a very nice place to live.

In short, both places are great little small town regions, but they each have there share of minor problems. And those problems are different than big-city problems. And attitudes and political outlooks are very different than most big-cities. I know that I stress this point all the time, but Omak, and Colville, and Kettle, are NOT smaller versions of Seattle.

I could possibly answer more questions if you were more specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington