Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:39 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,101,803 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of Aberdeen? Also what are the best/worst areas in Aberdeen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 09:01 AM

576 posts, read 2,261,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
What are the pros and cons of Aberdeen? Also what are the best/worst areas in Aberdeen?
Good Morning Mopac:

Your post count tells me that you've been around this forum for a while so that means you've probably already searched the prior threads regarding Aberdeen. So I'll try not to repeat that information for you here!

Briefly, down sides in my mind would be first and foremost... the weather. Gray, damp, rainy much of the time with a fairly good chance of big winter storms (as in big wind, big waves, big rain and big flooding). The economy of the area has taken a beating over the years but has bounced back slightly of late due to tourism. The downtown area looks abandoned and run down in places. There is a problem with street drugs (meth) similar to many places in WA (and elsewhere). The lower (flat) areas of town, particularly across the river, are in the flood plain. If you own a home there you'll need flood insurance as part of a mortgage. Maybe a bit of "small town mentality" in terms of making new friends if you're new to town. Lastly, one typically needs to drive to Olympia or elsewhere for major shopping (or job opportunities). Not a lot of employment opportunities in Aberdeen.

Upsides are a quiet little town on the coast where you can pretty much be left alone to "do your own thing" if that's what you're looking for. Real estate is affordable. Property taxes aren't bad. There are several neighborhoods on "the hills" of the area with homes offering nice views of the river and harbor. Convenient beach access. Easy drive up to the southern part of the Olympic park (Kalaloch is our personal favorite).

Those are a few things that come to mind for you!

Old 06-24-2009, 04:02 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,101,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
Good Morning Mopac:

Your post count tells me that you've been around this forum for a while so that means you've probably already searched the prior threads regarding Aberdeen. So I'll try not to repeat that information for you here!

Briefly, down sides in my mind would be first and foremost... the weather. Gray, damp, rainy much of the time with a fairly good chance of big winter storms (as in big wind, big waves, big rain and big flooding). The economy of the area has taken a beating over the years but has bounced back slightly of late due to tourism. The downtown area looks abandoned and run down in places. There is a problem with street drugs (meth) similar to many places in WA (and elsewhere). The lower (flat) areas of town, particularly across the river, are in the flood plain. If you own a home there you'll need flood insurance as part of a mortgage. Maybe a bit of "small town mentality" in terms of making new friends if you're new to town. Lastly, one typically needs to drive to Olympia or elsewhere for major shopping (or job opportunities). Not a lot of employment opportunities in Aberdeen.

Upsides are a quiet little town on the coast where you can pretty much be left alone to "do your own thing" if that's what you're looking for. Real estate is affordable. Property taxes aren't bad. There are several neighborhoods on "the hills" of the area with homes offering nice views of the river and harbor. Convenient beach access. Easy drive up to the southern part of the Olympic park (Kalaloch is our personal favorite).

Those are a few things that come to mind for you!
I actually can't recall if I've had ever seen anything based on Aberdeen or not to be honest with you

Old 06-26-2009, 08:23 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
I've posted on here regarding Aberdeen before. Just type in "aberdeen" on the above "search this thread" bar, it will direct you to most all of the past posts on Aberdeen and the surrounding area.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 PM

21 posts, read 71,050 times
Aberdeen is a small community. We're spoiled traffic-wise in the respect that we can get anywhere within 10 minutes. The worst areas are under the main bridge and probably the 1st St/B St. Areas. This is my opinion anyway. The best part about Aberdeen... well, downtown is getting better. Some great little shops down there like Violet's Children's Boutique, Whitamakii's Jewelers, The Popcorn Factory and Scoops Ice Cream. The history of Aberdeen is the best part of all though. The Lady Washington is beautiful (AND the Hawaiian Chieftan) and we always love seeing it (them) docked down on the river. IF you're in the area, definitely try Billy's Restaurant.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:53 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor-ator View Post
...The worst areas are under the main bridge..
Here’s what Aberdeen’s most famous citizen said about that bridge that goes across the Chehalis River:

“I used to hang out with the bums and share Thunderbird wine with them underneath the bridge.
There's a little tent bum community there.
They live in tents and just drink wine and roast marshmallows.“

He chose to socialize under the Chehalis River bridge, but he chose to live under the Young Street Bridge across the Wishkah River.

Here’s what he said about that:

“Underneath the bridge
The tarp has sprung a leak
And the animals I've trapped
Have all become my pets
And I'm living off of grass
And the drippings from my ceiling
It's okay to eat fish
'Cause they don't have any feelings

Something in the way, mmm
Something in the way, yeah, mmm“
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of Aberdeen?-young-st-bridge.jpg   Pros and cons of Aberdeen?-chehalis-river-bridge.jpg  

Old 02-12-2010, 10:06 AM

21 posts, read 71,050 times
Yes, Kurt was very strange from what I hear, his songs could be proof of that too... just maybe... I know someone that he lived with for a while and she didn't like him much.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:32 AM

52 posts, read 200,239 times
Pros: Some great scenery, and sites on many of the backroads. Great salmon and steelhead fishing, hunting , some pretty good people here if you can get past the druggies, alkies, and chronically depressed residents

Cons: Few living wage jobs, lack of opportunity, schools suck, corruption, favortism, nepotism, crime, drugs, and a large amount of homeless alcoholics

Old 06-24-2010, 10:55 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalsteelheader View Post

Few living wage jobs, lack of opportunity, schools suck, corruption, favortism, nepotism, crime, drugs, and a large amount of homeless alcoholics
In other words, it's just an average American town, except that it gets a lot of rain.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:59 PM

52 posts, read 200,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
In other words, it's just an average American town, except that it gets a lot of rain.

Pretty much, but our homeless do have the best signs in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington