Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 04:33 PM

3 posts, read 5,144 times

Advertisements

I am actively seeking to move to Washington (much depends on employment opportunities). Has anyone else taken this plunge?

When I visited Seattle in 2005 I fell in love with the place. Having lived in California all my life I know its time for a change. Cali is circling the drain in virtually every category. Quality of life here has taken a turn for the worst in the last decade and I don't think there is any hope for the future of the state. Where I live I feel like a foreigner in my own country. Can't find a house and spend half my life in traffic.

Just wanted to know if anyone had thoughts on their own move and transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:12 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHatesCali View Post
I am actively seeking to move to Washington (much depends on employment opportunities). Has anyone else taken this plunge?

When I visited Seattle in 2005 I fell in love with the place. Having lived in California all my life I know its time for a change. Cali is circling the drain in virtually every category. Quality of life here has taken a turn for the worst in the last decade and I don't think there is any hope for the future of the state. Where I live I feel like a foreigner in my own country. Can't find a house and spend half my life in traffic.

Just wanted to know if anyone had thoughts on their own move and transition.
Yes, I'm sure people take the plunge every day. I took it in May, from CO to Spokane. It was my second major move in 2 years.

Seattle is great. I'm a CA native, so I know what it's like there. As for 'feeling like a foreigner', how do you think the foreigners feel?

Can't find a house, or can't find one you can afford? If it's the latter, that may elude you as well in Seattle if that's where you decide to go. The traffic problem can be remedied by trying to live close to work.

My move from CO was bittersweet, I miss it dearly, but also like Spokane quite a bit. My job came with me -- actually the whole reason I'm here is my job. Moving and the accompanying transition is nothing less than an adventure.

I'd like to help further, but you didn't give us much in the way of details. What kind of work do you do? What can you afford? What are you looking for in your new hometown?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:40 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
Moved to the Seattle area from San Diego in 2007. David is right about housing, it's not really cheaper than in CA (maybe a bit cheaper than the Bay Area, but not most other areas). You don't have to go as far from the city to find cheaper houses in the Seattle area, but who really wants to commute more than an hour to work everyday?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:54 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,076 times
I lived the first 40 years of my life in LA
I moved from LA to WA in 1991. The last place I lived was in Ontario and after a night of sleeping on the floor of the closet with my dogs while a hostage situation was going on in the house behind me and the swat team was running through my yard, bullets were flying, helicoptors were flying all night, the media was parked outside my house, and in the end the two people in the house died, I decided. I'm done.
I now live about 30 miles north of Seattle in a community where there are 7 lakes.
To me personally, this is paradise. Every time I drive down my street between the 100 ft pine trees, I fall in love over again.
You didn't say what you do for a living so I cannot talk about jobs, but housing is still about half of what you would pay in LA.
Please feel free to ask any questions you want and also to visit the WA forums which give a lot of info on places to live and jobs.
Craigslist is a good indicator of jobs and housing costs for rentals, but not everything is legit.

Last edited by yukiko11; 08-07-2009 at 03:03 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 5,144 times
Thanks for the feedback.

As for what I do - entertainment industry related semi-technical work, mostly quality assurance testing and technical support for software applications.

Housing-wise, I would be willing to rent at first rather than just buying a place outright from the onset. I have a modest budget of about 200-210k, but that would depend on what sort of career I could start once I got up there.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:49 PM

17,217 posts, read 57,085,908 times
The entertainment industry is pretty heavily concentrated in CA, so I would suggest you find a job, possibly around Seattle, before moving. The economy is not that good, maybe it's picking up a bit but I would still not suggest quitting a job and just moving.

Keep in mind it's easier to find a job when you have one. Makes no sense but it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: