Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:42 AM

67 posts, read 208,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Oh, not to worry too much about it all. You could have a sense of humor about it. Or you could be just glad to find out this aspect of a place you were thinking of moving to. In either case, good to know before you get here, and all that.

So, another day goes by and no one steps up to the plate to hit you back some answers. I'll have a go at it then. Whatcom County grew by over 55% in the past 25 years ... faster than the average State growth rate ... About 60,000 new people up here in that time.. Lots of those new folks are from outside the State, including, quite significantly, California. You wouldn't hardly be alone ... and I'm not aware of any old-timer locals burning patchouli crosses on the lawns of California refugees, so you would likely be reasonably safe.

Here's the thing then: Whatcom County has Bellingham, accounting for over 1/3 of the population alone ... and Bellingham is a University town, which keeps it pretty youthful and fairly liberal-leaning. But the rest of the County is rural and farm / forestry towns ... and thems folks is not so liberal, eh? Lotsa newcomers in Bellingham ... fewer in the rural towns. (Exception of note: Birch Bay ... seaside resort-ish with fair amount of, and increasing like crazy, retirees.)

You asked specifically about Maple Falls ... uh, pretty, but you're not likely to enjoy that one ... as it has become a landing for quite a Slavic immigrant community -- and there's some troubles and criminal activity there between folks.

Then you asked about Ferndale ... which place I live in proximity to and am thus quite familiar with. Ferndale is an old farming community with a new identity-crisis in process. Linked to an I-5 freeway exchange (two, actually) Ferndale has become a favorite victim of developers of late -- eclipsed only by Birch Bay in that regard. Tacky, too. With nothing remarkable to recommend it. (At least Birch Bay has views and waterfront.)

To many native Washingtonians, the stereo-typical Californian is a vacuous creature with a fairly "scorched earth" approach to lifestyle. I have no idea whether you fit that profile, or whether you are wanting to flee California because you have become enlightened and disenchanted ... But, given that western Washington has roughly doubled its population since as recently as the 70's, the native Washingtonians are approaching "peak residential" status and should soon be on the way to extinction. Until that time, if you want Washington, you will likely not enjoy our true farm communities-- they are neither California-sophisticated nor like California farm communities, either.

However, you would likely find at least comfy anonymity, and downright California-leaning company in the Seattle area and certain rural communities, including: Port Townsend, Sequim, the southern half of Whidbey Island, LaConner, Olympia ... none of which are in Whatcom County. However, IN Bellingham, itself, you'd probably be happy, too.

Coming from California, Maple Falls is not likely a match (tsk tsk about its low real estate prices! there's a reason!). Ferndale, I doubt would appeal to you either. Lynden? hahahaha ... whole 'nother story for another time, if you want (by the way, I lived in both the San Joaquin Valley and San Francisco, each briefly, many many many years ago -- and still love my several trips a year to camp all around that state -- but wouldn't live there if I had Bernie Madoff's hidden money)

If you like fanciful, quaint, rural ... like say: Fort Bragg or Arcata on your Calif. north coast ... if that's why you are attracted to NW Washington ... have a good look at south Whidbey Island. Really. And plenty California license plates being turned in there for Washington ones.

Oh, and, um, you really know about the weather up here compared to California? That's what drives LOTS of Californians back south. Really.

Good luck. More info if you want since no one else is chiming in

you lost an argument with a car LOL dont ruin my dream of moving to Maple Falls. I want you to lie to me It's the only thing keeping me going here in hot hellish Texas paying 800 dollars a month for electricty and now an additional 900 in property taxes thanks to getting annexed into the city. I could scream but I cant find that button on this keyboard :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 02:06 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times
I can't find the link right now, but I read a study awhile back that showed the MAJOR reason most Californians who relocated to Oregon or Washington moved BACK to California within a couple of years was WEATHER.

West of the Cascades, you need to seriously assess your ability to live with MONTHS of gray, rainy, chilly weather. Besides the physiological effects, the S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder) syndrome is rampant up here and, psychologically, you might be one of those relocaters who just CAN'T adjust, even if your strength of will and motives are strong.

(And I'd still remove your California plates as soon as you get here...)

Old 10-23-2009, 02:22 PM

79 posts, read 275,770 times
I'm a process server and have served in Maple Falls. It is a pretty scary area. Lots of drugs and lots of dogs running loose. No stores that I've seen, not even a grocery store.

You may want to look at Sudden Valley. It's about 9 miles east of Bellingham. The homes are quite a bit cheaper than Bellingham and the area is beautiful. The homes are cheaper in part because it seems like it is a long way from Bellingham because the whole 9 miles is 25-35 miles per hour and there are no jobs in Sudden Valley so if you work you have to commute. If you aren't worried about getting a job it might work for you. It is a homeowners association. You need to do your main grocery shopping in Bellingham but it has a small, really nice grocery store for the little things you need/forgot.

South of Sudden Valley is Cain Lake Community Association which may be cheaper yet and the town of Alger which seems to be quiet too.

Sumas is a town on the canadian border that isn't quite as sketchy as Maple Falls and at least has a grocery store (although it's not very big) and it's own police department.

Otherwise Sedro-Woolley is south of Maple Falls in Skagit county. It's a cheaper community also and doesn't seem quite as sketchy as Maple Falls.

Good luck, I think you could find somewhere other than Maple Falls that would be safer.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:27 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
(And I'd still remove your California plates as soon as you get here...)
Although that isn't as strong as it once was. I remember the early 90s, when CA tags were an invitation to trouble up and down the Puget Sound corridor. Nowadays, far less so.

I think the situation for California immigrants to Washington has always been fairly simple. Fair or not, the perception is that having fouled a nest that began as paradise, they are abandoning it and seeking a new nest. That perception is not easy for them to overcome as individuals even if they do not, as individuals, exemplify that overall situation.

When Californians immigrate here and then promptly try to turn their part of Washington into a little California (HOAs, lawsuits, etc.), or complain all the time how lacking and backward it is relative to the sophisticated paradise of California ('omg u dont have a gelato place or whole foods ive died and gone to teh stone age'), everyone hates that and them. (I realize this sounds both comic and stupid, but I have seen the like quite a few times.) If they come up here and accept the place they moved to as it is, participating in ways to better it as part of a general consensus, I don't think they experience significant trouble. They do have stereotypes and perceptions to overcome, but that's true of most places where one is a newcomer. I would even bet it's true within California from one end to another; Redding, I think, is about as far from LA as it is from Seattle, but culturally is probably a lot closer to the Northwest than southern California.

Last edited by j_k_k; 10-23-2009 at 03:15 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 09:52 PM

thank you for the replys. I need to take these opinions more seriously. My desire to escape the heat and expense in Texas is clouding my judgment. I would hate to spend all of my money and be stuck. I did notice there are alot of homes up there for sale and they have been on the market for a long long time. That should tell me something. This is probably wishful thinking but I was wondering if maybe most of those homes are vacant and we can start a new trend of cool people moving up there LOL Just dreaming.....

Old 10-23-2009, 10:35 PM

If any of you know where I can purchase some land at a reasonable rate that has utilities and will accept a new modular home please let me know. I am beginning to wonder if this will be my only other option. Ive looked in Lynden, Sudden Valley, everywhere that someone suggests, and I cant find any thing remotely close to acceptable living quarters at a price I can afford. It is this reason that maple Falls looks so good. So if you can help please feel free to let me know. I plan on making my purchase next summer or as soon as I can unload this dump I live in now LOL

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington