Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 PM

181 posts, read 684,200 times

Advertisements

I'm interested to know what cities have the most sun/least rain???? NO SNOW, and not too cold??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 10:27 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
In Washington State, the most sun and least rain would be the Columbia Basin, or in other words, The Tri-Cities. However, there is a chance of snow, though major accumulations are rare. And it isn't the mildest area in the winter, colder than W. Wash., but the warmest east of the Cascades.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:35 PM

Thank you So what about the driest area near Seattle ?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:56 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Sequim, Port Townsend, the San Juan Islands, some of Whidbey island, and some other spots are in the Olympic Rain shadow, so those places get less than half the rain that Seattle gets.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:58 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Sequim, (up near Port Townsend), in the rain shadow of the Olympics. Edit: same time post as Ira, same idea!. Ira and I must be identical twins

Old 09-24-2009, 11:40 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Let it be noted though that less rain does not necessarily mean more sun in the Pacific Northwest...

Old 09-25-2009, 12:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanykayy View Post
I'm interested to know what cities have the most sun/least rain???? NO SNOW, and not too cold??
Phoenix or similar (San Diego is pretty good for your requirements)

Washington is "The Evergreen State" Thus green = water = rain.

The problem with your request is SUN... As previously mentioned, less rain does not equal more sun, the PNW has gray winters, throughout most of the state. Gray is Gray, Nov through March, drizzle most of the time, heavier drizzle at times (120" of drizzle in my case).

Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
Below is a link to a Washington State precipitation map. Check it out and you can see the Olympic rain shadow. This area gets less rain but it's not as warm as Seattle. It gets more than it's fair share of wind too.

In the Seattle area there are wetter and dryer areas. Generally the closer you are to the convergence zone or the Cascade foothills the more rain you'll get.

http://www.wamaps.com/maps/precipitation_map.gif

Old 09-25-2009, 09:12 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Washington is "The Evergreen State" .
This always cracked up us eastsiders, considering much of the state is anything but. However, the "Everbrown State" doesn't have the same ring to it.

We would have out-of-state visitors who would enter WA through either Biggs (below Goldendale) or Umatilla (below Tri-Cities) and without fail they would mention and laugh about the signs "Welcome to Washington, the Evergreen State" when there wasn't a tree in sight.

Don't know that you'll find any part of the state that you can say has no snow...many places with little, but any part of it can get it.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Phoenix or similar (San Diego is pretty good for your requirements)

Washington is "The Evergreen State" Thus green = water = rain.

The problem with your request is SUN... As previously mentioned, less rain does not equal more sun, the PNW has gray winters, throughout most of the state. Gray is Gray, Nov through March, drizzle most of the time, heavier drizzle at times (120" of drizzle in my case).

I meant cities IN Washington. I am currently living in Noth San Diego county/South Riverside county and HATE it, I hate sun actually- but I dont want rain EVERYDAY. FINALLY moving to WA in a few months. I'm just looking for a great city to start off in near Seattle with the least amount of rain. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington