Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 11:58 AM

41 posts, read 144,891 times

Advertisements

Hello people,

I am planning to drive to virginia from seattle. Will start next week and i believe it may take me around 4-5 days to reach.

If anyone has had this experience, can you please share? Also please suggest me the things that i need to be careful of and other suggestions that i should keep in mind.

Also if someone is interested to join me, please let me know. I will also have a company along way.

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 12:01 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Buy yourself a nice set of chains. You may need them crossing the Rockies and the Cascades. Also, this time of year, it's wise to pack emergency supplies such as food and water, as well as blankets in the event you get stuck somewhere. A small shovel and a great pair of gloves can also be lifesavers.

If you buy them (chains) at Costco and don't use them, you can return them when you get out here.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:24 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Good advice, TC.

Depending upon your route, you may not want to wait too late in the day to find a decent place to stop for the night. Decent places can be few and far between in eastern Montana, (heck, any where in Montana) Wyoming, Nebraska and fill up early. Of course, the further east you get, there are many more places.

If you go through St. Louis, do not spend the night in East St. Louis---one of the roughest towns in the nation.

Try to avoid major cities during morning and evening rush hours.

Be safe and have a good trip!

Old 11-13-2009, 09:55 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I drove from Seattle to New Jersey, leaving Seattle last November 5th, and arriving in NJ on November 10th. It didn't snow along the way, though we diverted south to take Interstate 70 across, and even then it was a little icy in the Rockies, which scared the living daylights out of me, going downhill on an icy freeway without chains. Don't do what I did. Either bring chains, or close your eyes and pray

Old 11-14-2009, 04:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
from the looks of this (it ain't too pretty east of Missouri River) I would "try" to avoid moisture
Climate Prediction Center - 6 to 10 Day Outlook

I would take 90 to I-25 (Buffalo, WY) IF.... it is clear to Denver, then east on 70 only because 80 in WY and NE can be really rough. BUT... so can 25 and 70, so watch closely and monitor the road conditions in upcoming state. (also watch the 'crud' hanging from on-coming semis, and talk to drivers and night shift truck fueling operators).

Take a blanket, water, food, and a candle + matches. I also like to have reflectors and a bicycle flag to mark car in snow bank. Get filters, belts, and hoses changed on car, and use fuel treatment EVERY tank especially while temps are below or near freezing. Especially important to have a fresh fuel filter at least annually, preferably in the fall.

I had a Wyoming / Colorado / Nebraska / South Dakota truck driving route for 7 yrs during 'extended' college

I have had many Dec trips on I-90-80-70 that have been as clear as the summer day, but... not always !

Old 11-16-2009, 01:03 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Unless you are moving to VA more or less permanently, let me suggest flying instead - if you buy 14 days in advance, compare this to the gas you will burn and several nights in motels, meals in restaurants, and your time, even if nothing goes wrong weater-wise...

I have done coast to coast in cars (summer) and by commercial air, normally commercial air is the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington