Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:47 PM

362 posts, read 1,856,493 times

Advertisements

I'm know this has been asked before, but I'm asking again. I went to the Pacific Northwest last year. I did a huge loop starting with Seattle, then Olympic Park, then Victoria, Vancouver, and back to Seattle, and I absolutely fell in love with the area. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could recommend an area of western Washington (I wouldn't mind eastern, but I love the rain and forests of western Washington). I don't mind if it's a suburb of Seattle or a town all on its own. I've been looking at Olympia lately. Also, I would like an area that is fairly right-leaning. I don't mind if it's mostly liberals just as long as I'm not shunned from society because of my political beliefs. And finally I prefer a slightly less expensive area (of course!). I live in St. Louis right now and want to get away from the heat and humidity. All help is grealy appreciated!

Old 05-15-2007, 05:04 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,514 times
You will not have a problem with finding conservative counties in Washington State. Most counties are conservative, except King County. Since the majority population resides in King County, the State of WA is considered liberal. Live outside of King County and, trust me, your neighbors will be all American Conservatives.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:04 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
I'm know this has been asked before, but I'm asking again. I went to the Pacific Northwest last year. I did a huge loop starting with Seattle, then Olympic Park, then Victoria, Vancouver, and back to Seattle, and I absolutely fell in love with the area. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could recommend an area of western Washington (I wouldn't mind eastern, but I love the rain and forests of western Washington). I don't mind if it's a suburb of Seattle or a town all on its own. I've been looking at Olympia lately. Also, I would like an area that is fairly right-leaning. I don't mind if it's mostly liberals just as long as I'm not shunned from society because of my political beliefs. And finally I prefer a slightly less expensive area (of course!). I live in St. Louis right now and want to get away from the heat and humidity. All help is grealy appreciated!
I just don't get it Maybe because I'm in the middle as far as politics.I could live with a tree hugger on my left and someone with their Bible and gun on the right I do lean a little to the right (own a gun/Bible), but I do like trees But I would never let someone else's politics have an influence on where I want to live

Old 05-15-2007, 08:07 PM

362 posts, read 1,856,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I just don't get it Maybe because I'm in the middle as far as politics.I could live with a tree hugger on my left and someone with their Bible and gun on the right I do lean a little to the right (own a gun/Bible), but I do like trees But I would never let someone else's politics have an influence on where I want to live
No, I agree with you completely. Maybe I should have made my query a little more clear. I don't mind liberals (I have many liberal friends), I just don't agree with them all the time. I can live next to just about anyone. I just don't want to be discriminated against (it happens).

Old 05-15-2007, 11:10 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,514 times
Quote:
No, I agree with you completely. Maybe I should have made my query a little more clear. I don't mind liberals (I have many liberal friends), I just don't agree with them all the time. I can live next to just about anyone. I just don't want to be discriminated against (it happens).
I don't blame you for asking. You will want to live in an area with the beautiful scenary and be able to live within it's culture. Seattle is extremely liberal, although fun, can be sometimes too liberal at times.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:44 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,327 times
Thumbs up You will be fine anywhere in Western Washington

If what you want is an inexpensive home in a Republican dominated area, you will have a hard time doing that without a supercomputer and a Gerrymandering friend in a major political party (I'm sure they both already have the neighborhood voting maps down to the street, as a redistricting is due in 3 years). Don't get me wrong, there definately are areas of right-leaning people (even the most liberal areas only vote 80% Dem, so the 20% Republicans have to live somewhere), but they will be hard to broadly target, and the next street over might be the opposite.

Outside of Eastern Washington, the state is center to left politically speaking. The state is 6 Dem to 3 Rep in terms of Congressional seats, and the only Republican outside of Eastern Washington is District 8.

Even the rich suburbs of Seattle (Bellevue, Issaquah, etc) in District 8 have just barely voted in a Republican Congressmen (52% in '04 and 50.1% in '06). The guy is a pretty strong politician who isn't a crazy zealot, wasn't involved in scandals, and didn't make any big gaffs (he was [I think] the only freshman rep to be given a sub-commitee chairmanship, too). He's also the former sheriff of King county (generally the most liberal county) and one of the detectives who helped solve the 30+ year old Green River Murder (one of the biggest serial killers of all time). That should've given him a 10 point lead all by itself. He also was opposed by basically nobodies that he should've demolished (but just squeaked past), which really shows how the area has pulled left.

Of course, if you want to get a huge house in a country club, you could also guarantee a fairly Republican set of neighbors (but that certainly won't be cheap!)

However, if what you want is to have a decient place to live, and live next to nice people, then just about any place in the state will work for you. Your biggest concern will be finding a place you like that is within your budget, the neighbors won't be a problem. If you have managed to keep a liberal as a friend, you should be fine.

The only place where you might get harrassed for being a Republican is the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle. If you were a Liberal you might get hassled there because you were not enough of a Liberal. I think the $250,000 price tag for a 400 sq ft studio condo probably took care of that problem for you though.

Happy house hunting, this is a great state to live in!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,821 times
"nice" & "right-leaning" tend to exclude "inexpensive" unless you get out into the countryside.
To find "inexpensive" you'd have to look south of Olympia.
Olympia is nice and parts are still affordable if you're looking to buy.
Its also left leaning in my humble opinion.

Outside of Gig Harbor, on the Key Peninsula there are areas that are very affordable. But if you're planning to commute, you might want to reconsider.

If you're independently financially secure without job or commute worries, then you will find many areas south and west of Olympia that are inexpensive.
(no jobs or long commutes required though)

Old 05-16-2007, 10:05 AM

176 posts, read 929,777 times
In a nutshell (and I've lived pretty much everywhere in the Western part of Washington), where the inexpensive housing is is where the conservatives are. West and South of Olympia. Although, Port Angeles is still fairly conservative and their housing hasn't gone up near as much as King County and north. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2007, 12:16 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times
Quote:
I live in the northeast, thinking about a move to the northwest. On the east coast we have all kinds of people. So I really don't understand what goes on in the northwest. How do people discriminate in northwest? Is it like the deep south?

Old 05-17-2007, 09:17 PM

942 posts, read 1,393,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Good, for you I completely agree, don't ever let anyones politics influence as to where you live. It is so out of control in this country, liberal this conservative that. People are literally afraid to live somewhere over it, just read these forums, its sad but understandable. If you want right wing, anyplace outside of Seattle area, Portland and Eugene, Ashland Oregon, the rest of the northwest as conservative as many places in the south. Im not one of them, but if they are happy there, fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington