Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:17 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,855 times

Advertisements

Pomona,
The South Capitol district is my favorite neighborhood in Olympia. I was lucky to find an affordable house there for my family and we love being able to walk to the lake, to downtown coffee shops, or stroll the historic neighborhood. If you're interested, the neighborhood has a website at www.southcapitolneighborhood.com
There are some rentals in the neighborhood, but they're few and far between. You might have better luck renting in the Eastside neighborhood, which is also made up of vintage homes and is walking distance to downtown. And yes, Olympia gets as much rain as Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:55 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
And yes, Olympia gets as much rain as Seattle.

Actually a little bit more. About 50 inches per year compared to Seattle's 38.
Even so, Olympia is still a very nice place.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:12 PM

35 posts, read 108,402 times
Actually, I hope it does get rain! As a dedicated gardener, one of my highest criteria for a place to live is adequate rainfall to support this habit, around 30 to 50 inches per year. We're looking at Olympia, Mount Vernon, and Bellingham for mid-sized to small cities, big enough to have amenities but small enough to feel homelike. We also plan to find a home outside the commuter belt to Seattle so we'll be protected from the heavy daily traffic and urban sprawl. Perhaps people who live there could let me know if Olympia is far enough away from Seattle for this to be true. We'd love to have a genuine downtown we could walk to on a pleasant day for morning coffee, a visit to the library, and maybe some light shopping. I don't mind driving, but dislike living in a situation where I am absolutely dependent upon the automobile. A four or two year college is on our list too, and all three cities have that. I've always wanted to settle in a college town.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:25 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,855 times
Rosefolly,
Olympia has a walkable downtown and a great public transit system (recently ranked number one in US). The Dash bus is completely free of charge and runs between the Framer's Market and the Capitol. The heavy traffic on I-5 doesn't usually start until you get north to Pierce County, right around Fort Lewis. Olympia has a community college and also St. Martin's University and Evergreen State College. I've never been to Bellingham or Mount Vernon, but I've heard they're also very nice towns. Let us know what city you'll end up deciding on.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosefolly View Post
Actually, I hope it does get rain! As a dedicated gardener, one of my highest criteria for a place to live is adequate rainfall to support this habit, around 30 to 50 inches per year. We're looking at Olympia, Mount Vernon, and Bellingham for mid-sized to small cities, big enough to have amenities but small enough to feel homelike. We also plan to find a home outside the commuter belt to Seattle so we'll be protected from the heavy daily traffic and urban sprawl. Perhaps people who live there could let me know if Olympia is far enough away from Seattle for this to be true. We'd love to have a genuine downtown we could walk to on a pleasant day for morning coffee, a visit to the library, and maybe some light shopping. I don't mind driving, but dislike living in a situation where I am absolutely dependent upon the automobile. A four or two year college is on our list too, and all three cities have that. I've always wanted to settle in a college town.
Between Olympia, MV and Bham, I would choose Olympia. It definitely has all the amenities and retains the small feel. Bham is great, but the gas prices will always be higher there than the rest of the state. Mt. Vernon is beautiful, but doesn't really have as much amenities that both Bham and Oly provides. However, for all three, you have to be car-dependent (unless you live closer to town).

Olympia is one hour away from Seattle. Its very different from Seattle. Also has a great downtown. If you're concerned about the sprawl, that's Lacey and Yelm. For the rural experience, Boston Harbor is it.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Between Olympia, MV and Bham, I would choose Olympia. It definitely has all the amenities and retains the small feel. Bham is great, but the gas prices will always be higher there than the rest of the state. Mt. Vernon is beautiful, but doesn't really have as much amenities that both Bham and Oly provides. However, for all three, you have to be car-dependent (unless you live closer to town).
Olympia is one hour away from Seattle. Its very different from Seattle. Also has a great downtown. If you're concerned about the sprawl, that's Lacey and Yelm. For the rural experience, Boston Harbor is it.
I just love the area out towards Boston Harbor... hard to believe it's only minutes from the State Capital

Old 05-04-2010, 02:32 AM

5 posts, read 9,669 times
I have lived in Black Lake area from 2001 to 2004. It is rural but close enough to downtown Olympia, ( We love the wildlife). We had a very small drug problem, but those folks stayed to themselves and with that crime was nill!

Old 10-13-2016, 04:57 AM

1 posts, read 693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynnanne View Post
I live in the South Capitol neighborhood and have three duplexes that I rent furnished to people in some sort of transition, or just vacationing. I really love Olympia. I have one furnished home in SE Olympia that is in a really great area close to a trail. Olympia is so full of parks and fun happenings. Today Santa Clause will be taking a trip through town on an electric trolley and the whole city will be alive with Christmas happenings. Next Saturday will be the toy run (thousands of motorcycles rolling through town throwing candy and delivering toys). Our Farmer's Market is the pride of Olympia, and you will certainly go broke trying out all of our great restaurants. My absolute favorite place in all of Olympia is, of course, the Historic South Capitol neighborhood with it's museum, Frog Pond Deli/Market, wonderful mix of architecture in the vintage and antique homes, and the best place to walk your dog (as is demonstrated by the many people who DRIVE to South Capitol to walk their dogs). One family, relocating from Alaska, lived in one of my furnished homes just long enough to fall in love with the neighborhood, and bought a wonderful large historic home just a few blocks away. Their plans changed so dramatically just from the experience of living in this coveted neighborhood.
How may I contact you about your rental price?

Old 10-13-2016, 09:10 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,740,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makishadondistu View Post
How may I contact you about your rental price?
That post was from 2009 though...

Old 10-19-2016, 02:59 PM

58 posts, read 134,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
Pomona,
If you're interested, the neighborhood has a website at www.southcapitolneighborhood.com
Umm, that webpage is for South Perth, Western Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington