Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,535 times

Advertisements

A new washington state LAW requires to not talk on a cell phone unless its hands free. Its amazing how many people continue to hold onto the cell phone while driving. Police included. Whats it going to take to hang up and drive?! It seems like everybody needs to talk to somebody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 10:49 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,093 times
it doesn't go into effect until sometime next year (it can only come too soon).

Old 06-13-2007, 10:53 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,991 times
As a guilty cell phone holding driver, I've been preparing myself to figure out how to use the hands free phone while driving. Today I was driving and talking when a police car pulled along side me and made me a little paranoid. I know it's not the law yet, but I still felt guilty doing that in front of a cop when everyone knows that after Jan. 1, we could get fined. Guess I need to have my teenagers show me how the little ear thingy works!

Old 06-16-2007, 01:02 AM

51 posts, read 201,468 times
it is also a secondary offense. that means you cant be pulled over for being on the phone, but can get two tickets if you were on it say when you got busted for speeding.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
The first portion of the law takes affect in July (no Texting...) AFAIK

as an accident free commercial driver for 35 yrs, and being hit 3 times in a year by cell phone talking SUVs (who cause massive chain reactions on PNW rain slickened stops)... I am more than ready for an aggressive law, not that I'm not guilty myself...on very rare occasion. I won't be going hands free, VM will be adequate.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:24 PM

358 posts, read 1,056,726 times
These types of laws wouldn't have to be passed if people concentrated on their driving first.

I often talk on my cell while driving. And I think, that for myself, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on both talking and driving if I had to do it through a hands-free set.

But texting while driving cannot be done.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:43 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,372 times
Default So Happy About The Law

I am so happy to hear about the law. Every close call accident I had was with someone on a cell phone who was not paying attention. All states should have this law. I read an article that explained how cell phone drivers are at the same risk of causing an accident as a person who is over the legal drinking limit of .08.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:40 AM

113 posts, read 876,661 times
I too am happy about this law, like everyone else I have numerous "near hits" by people who insist on talking on their phones while driving. It drives me crazy when you see people who don't turn their head to check if a lane is clear because they have a phone to their ear, or you see a vehicle up ahead wander into your lane and then go back to theres... you get closer and sure enough... cellphone.

Although it will be only a secondary offense (can't get pulled over for it), it will also be a contributing illegal action if there is a traffic accident. If two people collide and one was on a cellphone, under most circumstances that person will be found at fault as they were driving in an illegal manner at the time of the accident.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 PM

Location: SoCal native (Riverside), now in the Seattle area...
102 posts, read 599,274 times
According to this (scroll down towards the bottom), the no-texting rule takes place on Jan 1, and the hands-free requirement goes into effect July 1, 2008... I do prefer using the headset myself, so I don't have a problem with it, although I still use my phone without it on occasion. But I've seen complete morons not paying attention at all and get into some near misses while driving the roadways..

Old 06-25-2008, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,576 times
I am so glad WA has passed this new law. I live in Oregon but visit family often in WA. I wish OR would also pass this law along with the no smoking laws WA has. After being in 8 accidents here in Oregon ( none my fault) it's long over due. At least I can feel a "little" better on the roads in WA soon. Maybe Oregon will follow? Prob not. If my DH could find a good paying IT job in WA, we would be moving just for some of the laws WA has over OR. I'm jealous of this new law you are getting. Enjoy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington