Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:18 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I agree your plight is vastly worse than SAB's, with his ridiculous exaggerations about Melbourne sunshine.

You haven't reported back about Philip Eden's comments, which implied that Buxton's numbers didn't seem much worse than in other nearby parts.
Sorry darling, but my comments are not exaggerations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 08:24 PM

927 posts, read 1,948,134 times
Quote:
Sorry, but some of that is hyperexaggerated statistical nonsense. The world's lowest annual sunshine totals in more or less unobscured locations are recorded in places like Signy (550 hrs/annum claimed) and NZ's Campbell Is (620 or so). The lowest handful of annual values I have for US sites, quoted as percentages of possible are these:
I had a hard time believing it, too. But satelite data in the visible band seem to suggest that the single digit figure I presented is, in fact, very close to reality; definitely in terms of sunshine percentages. Chile's southern coastal strip is among the few places that have few or no aerial photographs - either from satelites or from aricraft - because of the persistant cloudiness. It is for that reason there is such a paucity of knowledge of the territory. Much of what is known came from ground based explorations, nearly all of which took place under constant rain and drizzle.
This is not to say the sun never shines; Google Maps has a not-quite unobstructed view of Bahia Felix but the sun doesn't come out very often - and when it does, it presence is heartbreakingly brief.

Other sunless or nearly sunless places, in addition to Signy and Campbell islands Include the New Guniea highlands and Mt. Waialeale in Hawaii

Old 06-13-2010, 10:09 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
I had a hard time believing it, too. But satelite data in the visible band seem to suggest that the single digit figure I presented is, in fact, very close to reality; definitely in terms of sunshine percentages. Chile's southern coastal strip is among the few places that have few or no aerial photographs - either from satelites or from aricraft - because of the persistant cloudiness. It is for that reason there is such a paucity of knowledge of the territory. Much of what is known came from ground based explorations, nearly all of which took place under constant rain and drizzle.
This is not to say the sun never shines; Google Maps has a not-quite unobstructed view of Bahia Felix but the sun doesn't come out very often - and when it does, it presence is heartbreakingly brief.

Other sunless or nearly sunless places, in addition to Signy and Campbell islands Include the New Guinea highlands and Mt. Waialeale in Hawaii
That would still suggest an annual sunshine of very much less than the 500 mark. Only confirmed observations on the ground in a more or less obstruction free area would convince me.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Sorry darling, but my comments are not exaggerations.
You can go on pretending that Melbourne is a very cloudy place by world standards - delusions are free.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
I'll join the club. Mid last month and earlier this month we had a 19 day run of rain with very little sun (the average sunshine was just 2.7 hours/day over that period).

I almost bought a Philips goLite BLU device (unintentional product plug) as a means to get some "sun". Evidently these things actually work...

I wish I didn't get affected by it but I find constant cloud depressing at best. Luckily it has been very sunny again and thankfully we get a fair amount of sun here anyway and the late winter months are pretty good.

IMO the worst type of weather is that horrible grey obstinate cloud cover that hangs around for days - excuse my lack of meteorology terminlogy.

And to think I lasted 8 years in the UK! RichardW and SAB - you have my support...
Trouble is, your wishes are diametrically opposed to those of koyaanqatsi - maybe his power was stronger than yours at that time?

Old 06-13-2010, 11:14 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,376 times
Quote:
Trouble is, your wishes are diametrically opposed to those of koyaanqatsi - maybe his power was stronger than yours at that time?
Another way of looking at it is to attribute a value to each emoticon (e.g. = 0, = 1, = 2, = 3, = 4, = 5, = 6, = 7 and = 8). Each increasing emoticon value represents increasing weather happiness.

Our diametrical opposition can be illustrated by summing both our emoticons at any point in time. They will probably always sum to around the value 8 or thereabouts.

For example, today I am a given it has been a cloudless all day and he is probably a .

Old 06-13-2010, 11:34 PM

can't really complain about today, seeing as it's the first sunny this this june, but still cold at 15C. On a related note, it got down to 2C in Adelaide this morning. Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitall
You can go on pretending that Melbourne is a very cloudy place by world standards - delusions are free
Actually Rwood my son, Melbourne is a cloudy place by world standards. I'm sure most everyone who lives here would agree. It is actually the cloudiest city in Australia aswell, even cloudier than parts of Tasmania, including Hobart.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretends to be ignorant about Melbourne's climate View Post
can't really complain about today, seeing as it's the first sunny this this june, but still cold at 15C. On a related note, it got down to 2C in Adelaide this morning. Damn.

Actually Rwood my son, Melbourne is a cloudy place by world standards. I'm sure most everyone who lives here would agree. It is actually the cloudiest city in Australia aswell, even cloudier than parts of Tasmania, including Hobart.
Cloudiest city in Australia - so what. As you very well know, Australia is much sunnier than the global average. Carry on with the fake delusions.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:14 AM

hey, according to your beliefs about me, shouldn't it be "IS ignorant about Melbourne's Climate"? LOL what a fail!

Old 06-14-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
hey, according to your beliefs about me, shouldn't it be "IS ignorant about Melbourne's Climate"? LOL what a fail!
No. I think there is a rational well-informed part of you that is suppressed when you're discussing Melbourne weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather