Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I've been sitting in the house in front of a box fan for a while and was beginning to cool off from a drive earlier. Then just a moment ago I took a few small items outside to the trash bin, which is just outside the back door and around the corner. It's literally maybe five steps from the door. By the time I got back inside I already a solid film of sweat all over my face. Currently it's 83F, dew point of 71 and humidity is 68%. To me it feels absolutely miserable outside.
We had similar weather yesterday evening (80-82 an a dewpoint of 72-73) and I was mostly comfortable and not really sweating. Your body must have a different heat tolerance than mine. Though, 83F at 10pm sounds rather nasty.

At 7 am, it's 75°F out. (Is this common down south?) I don't think my room cooled much. And I think I sweated a bit in my sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 05:56 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I think you'll like how our June weather has been. I know I have!
Quite warm, as I would expect for summer
with 9 days of heat. (Days at 93+ F)
Most days had benign temps, in terms of how "tough" your June was.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Yeah, I mainly posted that to show just how easily I sweat. The conditions at the time weren't really that bad for middle TN at that hour, yet I start sweating so quickly it seems bad to me. I'm actually more comfortable in the afternoon when it's 96 but the humidity is much lower. There is no way I could sleep in that kind of humidity unless I was literally so exhausted that my body simply wouldn't stay away anymore. Last night with the ac set to 74 and my fan blowing directly on me I slept fine with a thin sheet over me, though occasionally I'll end up moving the sheet aside and just sleeping with nothing covering me.
I've noticed the same thing; high 70's F or low 80's F with high humidity adds more discomfort than hot temps (90's F?) with moderate-low humidity, when it's dry enough that the air can evaporate some of the sweat.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:04 AM

242 posts, read 596,554 times
Quote:
I've been sitting in the house in front of a box fan for a while and was beginning to cool off from a drive earlier. Then just a moment ago I took a few small items outside to the trash bin, which is just outside the back door and around the corner. It's literally maybe five steps from the door. By the time I got back inside I already a solid film of sweat all over my face. Currently it's 83F, dew point of 71 and humidity is 68%. To me it feels absolutely miserable outside.
Not very surprising. It was in the mid 80s and sundown and I was just standing outside and started to have sweat on my forehead. I used to have a hard time sweating and would get VERY overheated because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I don't doubt it!
Georgia is similar to the Carolinas for weather, and I have countless posts describing why I like being in NC/SC in August.
I've been in NC, it has my ideal weather *whispers WNC*. I've never been east of the Asheville/Hendersonville area in NC. Wilmington and the Outer Banks would probably be my favorite area past WNC *whispers the beach and sea islands*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
You have my sympathy.

Myself, I don't think I'd be sweating without excersize in those conditions.
I've probably slept soundly under a comfortor when my bedroom was that warm and muggy.
^^ Unusual ability even for a US Southerner?
I'd have heat stroke if I slept under my comforter if it was above 65 at night (Yes its not a thin blanket, its a pretty thick blanket that I use in the winter and sometimes early spring).

Old 06-28-2010, 09:58 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Last night I had the AC running and my ceiling fan on. I couldn't sleep with just the AC on, but the fan made all the difference. I didn't really need my comforter until early morning when my room was cool enough.

Only had a low of 72 F, which is very mild for an overnight low in this area. It was already in the 80s before 9AM and now it's 87 F and not even noon.

Thankfully a cold front is expected to sweep through this week.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Last night I had the AC running and my ceiling fan on. I couldn't sleep with just the AC on, but the fan made all the difference. I didn't really need my comforter until early morning when my room was cool enough.

Only had a low of 72 F, which is very mild for an overnight low in this area. It was already in the 80s before 9AM and now it's 87 F and not even noon.

Thankfully a cold front is expected to sweep through this week.
How warm was your room? Mine couldn't cool down, though I don't have A/C. It was the first low above 70F where I was.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How warm was your room? Mine couldn't cool down, though I don't have A/C. It was the first low above 70F where I was.
I think this was our first low above 70 F also.

I'm not sure, but I'm going to guess somewhere around 77-79F? I probably would have been content if it was during the day, but that's too warm for me at night.

Maybe my AC is starting crap out on me. It is kind of old, but still cools off the room. I think the problem was that I didn't turn it on until 10 or 11 last night. I probably didn't allow enough time to sufficiently cool off the room.

I would hope you at least have a fan to move the air around.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I think this was our first low above 70 F also.

I'm not sure, but I'm going to guess somewhere around 77-79F? I probably would have been content if it was during the day, but that's too warm for me at night.

Maybe my AC is starting crap out on me. It is kind of old, but still cools off the room. I think the problem was that I didn't turn it on until 10 or 11 last night. I probably didn't allow enough time to sufficiently cool off the room.

I would hope you at least have a fan to move the air around.
I think my room was about 78 ish, too. I was able to fall asleep okay, but I woke up a little bit sweaty. I think sleeping too hot might make me sleep less deeply and make me a bit more likely to wake up in the middle of the night. I had a window fan that I set to its max speed, and it was in the window next to my bed, so that helped a lot.

I probably could get used to sleeping in these temperatures, wouldn't like to, though. Glad that it's going away soon.

If your A/C doesn't cool your room any more than mine without A/C, maybe you need a new A/C?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think my room was about 78 ish, too. I was able to fall asleep okay, but I woke up a little bit sweaty. I think sleeping too hot might make me sleep less deeply and make me a bit more likely to wake up in the middle of the night. I had a window fan that I set to its max speed, and it was in the window next to my bed, so that helped a lot.

I probably could get used to sleeping in these temperatures, wouldn't like to, though. Glad that it's going away soon.

If your A/C doesn't cool your room any more than mine without A/C, maybe you need a new A/C?
Yeah I think I do sleep more lightly during the summer than during the cooler months of the year.

If I leave the AC running all day or all afternoon, the temperature probably does drop to at least 74 F, and it does feel comfortably cool, but if I'm not going to be in my room all day, I'd rather not waste the energy. Often times I wait until late afternoon or early evening to turn it on, let it run for several hours, then turn it off before I go to bed. Then I just turn on the ceiling fan, but by morning when I wake up it feels warm again.

But I think I'll turn it on earlier this afternoon or evening and just run it all night again. I hate using so much energy, but I guess it's the price to pay for comfort.

I probably should get a new AC. This one is leaking water. Either something is clogged or broken. Not to mention it looks like it was made in 1990.

It'll be great to open up the windows again when it cools off this week.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:34 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
@ILMC90 Wow only 72F, we didn't go below 85F last night. But I didn't realize it being that I already slept through 90's multiple times this year. It all feels the same to me, I think that acclimated me a bit too much, it's like I'm from the Jungle or something lol.

JFK Airport might crack 100F today (@ 97F right now), no seabreeze this Summer lol. It's actually the hottest spot in the Metro.

The heat index is about 104F which doesn't even feel that hot to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather