Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:16 PM

42 posts, read 55,772 times

Advertisements

Hi all. At this time of the year it is summer. And when summer gets to our area so do those bugs called Cicadas. Although these bugs don’t bite or hurt you they make lots of noise during the day and during the night. .

Is there a way to get rid of the ones that are near the house?. They are all over. But I want them at least away from the house. Does anyone know how I would go about this? Your help is appreciated. Thanks. Your friend RJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
I LOVE cicadas.
Funny but there noise is what I wait for all year.
Also because it occurs during our best weather.

I find their "buzz-saw" sound hypnotic.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:52 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,112 times
Well there is a type of large wasp called a Cicada Killer that preys on those noisy things but is fairly non agressive towards people. Other than that I don't know.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:31 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I LOVE cicadas.
Funny but there noise is what I wait for all year.
Also because it occurs during our best weather.

I find their "buzz-saw" sound hypnotic.
Hypnotically ANNOYING. I hate those damn bugs; they signal hot, HOT, and HOTTER here in Texas. They're noisy as hell. I doubt there's any way to get rid of them though other than to burn every square inch of the land within a mile of your house.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:31 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Give em a break! They stay underground for 17 years, come up and screw for one day, then they die. Think of the sound as a bug shouting, "Somebody come 'find' me!" or "who's your daddy, now!"
They'll be quiet in a few days.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 PM

927 posts, read 1,947,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9.3BillionBionicBear View Post
Hi all. At this time of the year it is summer. And when summer gets to our area so do those bugs called Cicadas. Although these bugs don’t bite or hurt you they make lots of noise during the day and during the night. .

Is there a way to get rid of the ones that are near the house?. They are all over. But I want them at least away from the house. Does anyone know how I would go about this? Your help is appreciated. Thanks. Your friend RJ
We don't have them out where we live now. But my wife and I both grew up where they were a common occurance in mid-summer. Haven't thought about them in years but now that my memory's been jogged I remember the high pitched buzzzzzzzing that would go on for several days before gradually fading.
They would "hatch" (actually emerge from final instar) in mid to late July where I lived and do their buzzing thing in trees and high shrubs. The O.P. is correct in that they normally do not affect humans much but they can damage cultivated trees when the female lays eggs in branches and leaves.

As for getting rid of them.....Probably not going to happen; we could use them as a food source as many people around the world do, but other than that, I think you're outta luck. I've never eaten one but I hear they are quite tasty once you get used to them. An acquired taste I suspect, rather like the durian.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:19 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,120 times
I heard cicadas last night here in Sydney (Australia) - was the first time for a few months (and presumably coincided with the warm winter day we had). They are a common noise over here, at least in Sydney throughout much of the year.

They really do not bother me - best of luck dealing with them

Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Hypnotically ANNOYING. I hate those damn bugs; they signal hot, HOT, and HOTTER here in Texas.

They're noisy as hell. I doubt there's any way to get rid of them though other than to burn every square inch of the land within a mile of your house.
What's wrong with that?
Most folks here call mid-high 80's F "hot" yet I hardly even notice that level of heat.
When the cicadas stop singing is when I need to put on a sweater.

I'm sorry,
but your thread only reminds me of how much passionate hatred I can harbour against non-summer weather.
Cicadas are for me like "icing on the cake"; most favourite time of year by far!

Old 08-19-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
I heard cicadas last night here in Sydney (Australia) - was the first time for a few months (and presumably coincided with the warm winter day we had). They are a common noise over here, at least in Sydney throughout much of the year.
Is all of Australia like that?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:41 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Is all of Australia like that?
Copied and pasted directly from Wikipedia:

"Being principally tropical insects, most Australian species are found in the northern states. However, cicadas occur in almost every part of Australia: the hot wet tropical north; Tasmanian snowfields; Victorian beaches and sand dunes such as Torquay and deserts. According to Max Moulds of the Australian Museum in Sydney: "the 'green grocer' is unusual in its ability to adapt perfectly to the urbanized environment."[19] Cicada sounds are a defining quality of Melbourne, Sydney, and Canberra during late spring and the summer months."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather