Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Jacaranda is common but not as flamboyant as the Royal Poincianas which are also common. A lot of common tropical plants like the Poincianas, Ficus/Rubber Trees, Seagrapes and Scheffleras (all common zone 10 tropical landscape plants) froze back to varying degrees in the 2011 freeze (some streets were filled with Ficus benjamina trees that had completely frozen to the ground) but these plants all grow relatively quickly and should look like they did pre-2011 after a few more mild winters. Saw some traveller's palms and small tree sized plumerias back in 2010. I imagine the plumerias froze back quite a bit. Royal palms and foxtail palms are popping up everywhere too, should be a lot of giant royal palms in the Brownsville area in a few years.

When you talk about these trees frozen to the ground or froze back, do you mean they were killed and re-planted by the owner (and have since grown back quickly)? Or do you mean that they didn't die and grew back from the frozen plant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 05:39 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,542,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
When you talk about these trees frozen to the ground or froze back, do you mean they were killed and re-planted by the owner (and have since grown back quickly)? Or do you mean that they didn't die and grew back from the frozen plant?
Frozen to the ground means the plant froze back to it's roots and resprouted from there. F. benjamina is especially tender. Most of the other tropical trees had branch dieback while a few froze back to the main trunk (including some giant rubber trees).

Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,213,227 times
Have the mangoes and other tropical fruit trees made a comeback since the 1980s freezes? I grow guavas here in San Diego, and I think they'd probably do very well in Brownsville.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:17 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Frozen to the ground means the plant froze back to it's roots and resprouted from there. F. benjamina is especially tender. Most of the other tropical trees had branch dieback while a few froze back to the main trunk (including some giant rubber trees).

I fount it amazing when streetviewing San Antonio how many Canary Island DP's looked wiped out in February of 2011(when SPI stayed at 32F for 24 hours), but by April of 2011 had green shoots coming out the top of the crown. The date of the streetview was April 2011. That February San Antonio went down to 19F, but also had two ice days in a row.

This is the street views of a diff CIDP's in San Antonio:

352 Club Drive, San Antonio, TX - Google Maps

534 Shearer Blvd, San Antonio, TX - Google Maps

And finally, these are the view on Google Earth taken in April of 2012 one year later. They look completely recovered and doing well:

I think the reason for this is that temps in the US tend to rebound quickly after a cold arctic outbreak. It is how our averages end up balancing out. In the US South the temps rebound to almost summer like levels after some severe arctic outbreaks.

It would be interesting to see what has happened to CIDP's in the UK during December 2010. Considering the cool, wet winters without the summerlike rebound of temps in San Antonio, did they die from rot due to fungus after the freeze? I'm thinking FlamingGalah might be able to answer that.

I'm starting to think these massive, stately palms are very cold hardy, more so than just a palm that supposedly can only take down to 20F (zone 9a). Am just curious how cold hardy they really are.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:21 PM

Interesting how even the hardy palms took a beating. Glad they didn't outright die (well, most anyways).

Old 05-10-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Have the mangoes and other tropical fruit trees made a comeback since the 1980s freezes? I grow guavas here in San Diego, and I think they'd probably do very well in Brownsville.
Pretty sure they all died in the freezes of the 80s. Plenty of trees planted after that though. There's even a nursery near Brownsville that sells all sorts of exotic tropical fruits...Rivers End Nursery

Canary Island date palms survived the freezes of the 80s(low teens/high single digits) in the Houston/Galveston area. Unfortunately a lot of them are slowly dying off due to disease

Old 05-10-2013, 04:11 PM

Was the disease caused by the cold?

Old 05-10-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Was the disease caused by the cold?
Texas phoenix palm decline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather