Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:01 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Try Queensland here, even the Gold Coast - the furthest south coastal region- has virtually no winter.
Only a small inland section on the Great Dividing Range and Darling Downs has any winter to speak of.
That is a good idea,
if Miss Shawn_2828 likes the two-season climate of Florida but hates their worst cold snaps.

I would expect the Gold Coast's worst cold of the year normally might be a day at 59/35 F. (15/2 C)
They probably don't usually see lower than 63 F/38 F (17/3 C) on a clear cold night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,529 times
Your only other choices besides Florida for mainland, would primarily be extreme southern Texas (which still gets 1-3 freezes a year, except for the barrier islands, which average less than 1), or far SW Arizona/California, which rarely gets freezes.

Just remember, though, that with living in those areas, means you will be dealing with harshly hot summers. S. Texas and Southern/Central Florida have high humidity in the summer, whilst the extreme SW parts of Arizona have incredibly high daytime temps (low humidity). SW California, you will deal with ALOT of people/outrageously high cost of living. Hawaii also shares a high cost of living. Paradise doesn't come cheap!

Ian

Old 01-24-2011, 08:20 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
That is a good idea,
if Miss Shawn_2828 likes the two-season climate of Florida but hates their worst cold snaps.
The Gold Coast would have milder summers too, which may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what one is looking for.

Quote:
I would expect the Gold Coast's worst cold of the year normally might be a day at 59/35 F. (15/2 C)
They probably don't usually see lower than 63 F/38 F (17/3 C) on a clear cold night.
Probably milder than that. The decile one low / high in July (i.e., one in ten days is this cold) is 8 / 18 C. The record low at the new site (data from '92) is 2.5 C while the lowest recorded maximum is 15 C.

I was there last July and it was very rainy (constantly overcast) and cool-ish (lows of 14-15 C, highs of 21-22 C, but still felt warm coming from a Christchurch winter) but then it cleared up and there were lows of 17-19 C and 24-26 C highs. I remember one night it was still about 23 C (with a 20+ C dewpoint) at midnight -- very nice for a moonlit stroll on the beach. Their winters are about as warm as Christchurch summers.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:32 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Sout Florida ot texas valley are it has the Op proably wouldn;t like the night time change of dessert temps.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
The Gold Coast would have milder summers too, which may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what one is looking for.

Probably milder than that. The decile one low / high in July (i.e., one in ten days is this cold) is 8 / 18 C. The record low at the new site (data from '92) is 2.5 C while the lowest recorded maximum is 15 C.

I was there last July and it was very rainy (constantly overcast) and cool-ish (lows of 14-15 C, highs of 21-22 C, but still felt warm coming from a Christchurch winter) but then it cleared up and there were lows of 17-19 C and 24-26 C highs. I remember one night it was still about 23 C (with a 20+ C dewpoint) at midnight -- very nice for a moonlit stroll on the beach. Their winters are about as warm as Christchurch summers.
Myself, I'm more heat-tolerant than UV-tolerant so GC summers would probably be more challenging.
However, I've looked at the daily UV charts and it seems that only 11 am-3pm is particularly extreme,
the remainder of the day resembles hourly UV indices in a North American summer.

Probably for the immediate coast, but anywhere 15-30 min drive west of the coast I'd anticipate those lows.
Beaudesert, QLD actually has some surprisingly chilly lows considering it's not far from the Pacific... more what I'd expect 100+ km inland.
A Decile 1 low of -0.4 C/31 F in July?

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...0014_All.shtml

I would expect in Florida, differences from immediate coastal areas to inland are less pronounced.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 01-24-2011 at 08:50 AM..

Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Sout Florida ot texas valley are it has the Op proably wouldn;t like the night time change of dessert temps.
Actually, the night time temp changes in the SW Arizona are fairly meager. In Yuma, the avg overnight low in the winter is in the mid to upper 40s, while in the spring it is around 60. Summer lows there typically stay near 80, with fall lows in the 60s. Phoenix is close to that as well. San Diego, CA, typically stays consistent through almost the entire year with their overnight lows.

Ian

Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,001 times
Deep South Texas in the Rio Grande Valley hardly has a winter. It snows there about once every hundred years. Unlike most of Texas, it doesn't get a freeze 1-3 time a year. More like once every 5 years. It hit a low of 29°F in 2010, but it hadn't been below freezing since 2004. So 5 years went by where it didn't hit freezing or below. Plus, the cold spells that do happen last like 3 days, it could hit 90°F year round. I don't recommend it unless you like heat and humidity.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
How do you fare with Southern air-conditioning Miss Shawn_2828?

I find some businesses in the Carolinas in August feel worse for cold inside
than a normal 28 F/-2 C January day in Toronto is when I am dressed for it.
LOL, sometimes the air causes me to go into a frenzy. I do use air, but don't need a lot to cool me off. Oh, yea, my mom keeps her house so cold, I use to lock myself in my room and the temp in my room would actually get up to 90. I never let my room drop below 80. My body just wasn't made for cold weather if you ask me. I want to have warm weather all year round. When the winter month starts my mood changes and my mood even starts to go into a depressed states. I think that I have seasional depression. LOL, it's not fun, but I learned to live with it, but am ready to move to a warmer climate.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Florida can indeed get freezing cold in the North but generally stays mild in the extreme south. Miami's average January low is 59°F with warm 75°F daytime highs and a lot of bright sunshine throughout the year.

Hawaii is even milder with an all-time record low of 52°F and winter lows of around 66°F.

If this is still too mild for you, go to Singapore just like I did Cold weather is virtually impossible here. The record low is around 66°F in 1934. You won't find any milder in a large city worldwide.
So far the lowest we got this January was 72°F; most of the days temps vary from around 75°F to 86°F - deliciously warm
I was thinking that Southern Florida would be best for me after doing the research. I never thought about Sinapore, but don't think I would be ready for that kind of move just yet. I have been thinking about this for a while and think that Southern Florida would be my first bet. My Aunt lives in Jacksonville Florida and they have or had some day sin the 40's, so don't want to move there. I only want to move where my days would be mostly around 60's for the low. I wouldn't want it to get any lower than that, but would rather live in a state where the low wouldn't be lower than 70 or 65. I would love that. Thanks for the advice.

So, what is it like in Singapore?

Old 01-24-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
Try Hawaii maybe?
I would love Hawaii, but not sure if I could get a job there. I always thought about it, hey who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather