Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree with your chart
Don't move to Texas!
Check my location. I've lived in Texas all my life. If I ever get the chance to leave, I'm jumping on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 12:17 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
So yes, I can get tired of heat, and I often look forward to fall when the temps cool a bit. But cold is something I have never liked and something I never look forward too. I'm good down to around 40 degrees, anything below that is beyond my comfort zone.
I'll have to agree here. Anything below 40 degrees becomes a little difficult for me to handle as well. I'm a native of Phoenix, and we usually don't have temperatures under 40 degrees (except maybe once every winter). This winter has been the exception. Since the end of November, we've had three arctic blasts from the north that resulted in sub freezing temps. This latest one was especially hard to handle because it was cold AND windy!

On the other hand, I always dread the end of May/first part of June when temperatures reach 100+ degrees and often stay there until October with very few breaks. The only time Phoenix experiences daytime temps under 100 in the summer is when the monsoon is active & brings more rain & humidity. That only seems to happen once every few years or so.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:27 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,000 times
You're mad! Right now I'd take 30F over 100F anytime, anyday!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:41 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
With average skies (partly cloudy), light winds, and humidities typical of Duluth at each temperature:

0: Miserable but common
10: Slightly less miserable
20: Cold but almost tolerable
30: Tolerably cold. Winter jacket weather.
40: Very cool but decent if sunny
50: Comfortably cool. Sweatshirt weather.
60: Mild. Slightly cool for a T-shirt. Good for outdoor labor.
70: Perfect. T-shirt weather.
80: A little hot if humid; however, perfect without humidity. Shorts and T-shirt weather.
90: Hot, but tolerable if idle.
100: Miserably hot.
Here's my impression of those temperatures:

0F - Have seen this once or twice abroad and was too wowed by the novelty to feel any discomfort from the cold, though it was clear and calm and I was wearing virtually every piece of clothing I had. Some frost-prone places in the UK got this before Christmas, but the law of averages says they won't again for many years to come.
10F - Would be the record low for London in the era of reliable recordings, but I have experienced this a few times up north. Generally isn't that bad, because to get it you need clear, calm skies and snow cover and you'd be bundled up because when we get this sort of thing the weather would be the main topic of conversation. Riding a bike in it stings you regardless of how low the winds are.
20F - for the average place in the UK this will be close to the lowest temperature of the winter, so clear, calm conditions. I've seen this abroad though in overcast, windy conditions and was very unpleasant.
30F - if we get this during the day and it's sunny it feels invigorating, if it's overcast and windy then bleak as hell. The average place in Britain gets this as their coldest daytime high of the year, and I'd wear a hat, coat and gloves.
40F - Typical boring winter temperature. Would just wear a coat.
50F - on a sunny, calm day in February/March it feels very pleasant (i.e. today) and I'd have no problem going out in a T-shirt. I've seen a July high in the low-50s up north and it felt miserable.
60F - to get this in April would be pleasant because it would be sunny, to get it in July unpleasant because it would be wet/windy.
70F - typical summer day for most of England, though to get this up north feels better because it would generally be sunny, whereas to get this as a daytime high in July in London would need showery, overcast conditions for much of the day. Older people start to use the Fahrenheit scale to emphasise how warm it is.
80F - Ideal weather if you don't have to work in it or do anything that energetic. In my experience comes with mostly sunny skies, with a thunderstorm at the end of it. Is normally the hottest day of the year in the north, a standard midsummer warm spell in the south.
90F - Generally the hottest day of the year in the south, hottest day every 15-20 years up north. Too hot to go about everyday life really, as few places here have air-conditioning. The London Underground becomes a sauna (it's bad enough when it's 70/80 outside), and the weather will be the main topic of conversation. Mornings/evenings are beautiful, though nights will be hard to sleep. Crime rates often go up in prolonged heatwaves.
100F - people used to say it was impossible here but has happened on one day in the UK, in and around the London area. I wasn't here to see it, but some road/rail surfaces melted, power cables sagged, and somebody I know from Uganda said it was the hottest he'd ever experienced because of our higher humidity. Something best left to the climates used to it IMO.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'll have to agree here. Anything below 40 degrees becomes a little difficult for me to handle as well. I'm a native of Phoenix, and we usually don't have temperatures under 40 degrees (except maybe once every winter). This winter has been the exception. Since the end of November, we've had three arctic blasts from the north that resulted in sub freezing temps. This latest one was especially hard to handle because it was cold AND windy!

On the other hand, I always dread the end of May/first part of June when temperatures reach 100+ degrees and often stay there until October with very few breaks. The only time Phoenix experiences daytime temps under 100 in the summer is when the monsoon is active & brings more rain & humidity. That only seems to happen once every few years or so.
I couldn't imagine dealing with 100 F+ heat for months at a time. Although didn't Phoenix have a day with a high of only 86 F in August last year?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I couldn't imagine dealing with 100 F+ heat for months at a time.
I couldn't imagine months of never being cold... would seem unreal.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:17 PM

437 posts, read 1,300,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I agree with your temperature ranges,
but I'm still confused you prefer to live in a tropical climate that doesn't pass 85 F.

You don't like temperatures that you consider "warm"?
That's just me in the dead of winter.....90º isn't bad though..

Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I couldn't imagine dealing with 100 F+ heat for months at a time. Although didn't Phoenix have a day with a high of only 86 F in August last year?
I checked the NWS site, and it was only 87 degrees for the high on August 1st of last year. Every once in a while during a Phoenix summer, high temperatures struggle to get out of the 80s if there is a strong presence of the monsoon and plentiful moisture. In fact, on August 1st it stayed cloudy & very humid all day, which is what kept the temperature down. The next day, the maximum temperature climbed to 102 due to more sunshine and dry air.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 AM

23,018 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Check my location. I've lived in Texas all my life. If I ever get the chance to leave, I'm jumping on it.
I've also lived here all my life and would LOVE to move!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather