Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:53 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times

Advertisements

I just got in from shoveling my driveway out once again. It has snowed a lot about 4 times this week. Personally, I love the snow. I like to play in it with my grandchildren and my dogs. I used to ski about 100 days a winter and always loved it. It certainly creates some problems in the big city and on the roads. I think for a minute and I realize this. Sure we get snow here but we don't get hurricanes, twisters, earthquakes,volcanoes, floods, tsunamis or any other kind of killer weather. We don't have poison snakes, spiders, fireants, gators, killer bees or any other dangerous critters.

But, we do have snow. LOL, love it!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 05:01 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Well,, I don't have to worry about snow at the moment! Mean temperature for the first 5 days of february in Buxton: 6.1°C / 43°F

Old 02-05-2011, 05:13 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat26 View Post
I like snow cause it covers all of the ugly and dirtiness of the world and makes everything look clean, nice, happy and wonderful.
Not long until the snow itself quickly gets dirty again, and the grey snowbanks and the stepped-through slush looks displeasing to the eye.

Until the next snowfall covers it again. And then again.

A metaphor for life. Nah, I'm just overthinking it!

Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 PM

42 posts, read 107,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
flight cancellations, highways shut down for days, everyday business on hold, people being trapped in their homes, serious accidents, and even deaths
I personally love snow and I consider people who go out and are too busy to enjoy it as fools. Here's how I see it.

The world isn't gonna go anywhere soon. People just need to kick back (clean the snow from their roofs and walkways) and enjoy the snow while it's there. I don't care how much money the airlines or the businesses lose, they've got enough of it as it is and they'll get more of it soon enough. The world is too much of a hustle and bustle. People just need to slow down and stop and allow the on-site crews to do their jobs.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:11 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloft94 View Post
I personally love snow and I consider people who go out and are too busy to enjoy it as fools. Here's how I see it.

The world isn't gonna go anywhere soon. People just need to kick back (clean the snow from their roofs and walkways) and enjoy the snow while it's there. I don't care how much money the airlines or the businesses lose, they've got enough of it as it is and they'll get more of it soon enough. The world is too much of a hustle and bustle. People just need to slow down and stop and allow the on-site crews to do their jobs.
I agree. Sometimes it takes a good winter storm for us to slow down and take it easy for a day or too. Good time to stay home with the family. I certainly can understand the frustrations of those who have to get to work no matter what though.

I'm personally willing to deal with the inconveniences that come with winter weather.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:12 PM

437 posts, read 1,299,890 times
I hate cold weather. Snow damages tender plants, causes accidents, and closes schools(in Houston). I'm in 7th grade, and we have to make up the lost day on a warm day in April....
These last two winters have really "detropicalized" Houston. Hibiscus, Ixora, Pgymy Date Palms, and Bird of Paradise used to be very common landscape plants here. You could even find a few trunking Royal, Foxtail, and King Palms, Majesty Palms too. I miss Houston pre-2009

Snow is a nuisance IMHO.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
I don't like the fact that you have little choice about when you have to deal with snow. If it snows overnight and you have to go to work/school in the morning, you better get up super early to take care of it. In every season you have different "chores" but you can rarely delay shoveling snow until the weekend.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:39 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
It's not the snow I hate but the cold that comes with.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:41 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Well, we get snow enough for it to be somewhat common (2 to 5 times a winter) but not enough to build an infrastructure to support keeping the roads clear and safe when it does happen.

Given that I have to drive the 25 miles to work REGARDLESS OF ANY WEATHER CONDITIONS, that makes snow kind of annoying to me.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,761 times
Snow is a real pain. I've spent hours this week shoveling; not everyone shovels like they're supposed to so enjoy having wet shoes/feet; the snow turns from white into an ugly brown mud-slush; the roads are dangerous; it is easier to slip and fall; worst of all, it limits what you can do...sometimes it is so bad you cannot go out. I prefer warm weather where you can choose to do as you wish without hindrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather