Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 PM

786 posts, read 4,733,723 times

Advertisements

Is there any place as far north of the USA that has a climate that is so mild that Palm Trees will grow? I read somewhere that Palm Trees will grow along the coast in VA and in Oregon and Washington-- but I have never seen them in those States. Any banana belt climates in the north that will allow for Palm Trees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 01:35 PM

648 posts, read 2,981,137 times
I have seen palmetto trees in SE North Carolina. They look like palms but with no coconuts.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,458 times
Farthest north area that palms can grow in the USA is near the coast in Washington State (49 degrees north latitude)....just to the north in Vancouver,BC Canada there are quite a few palms grown as well ....you're right about south east Virginia ....there are a few hotels at Virginia Beach with palms ...and some palm "enthusiasts" grow palms in the backyards even farther north ....Washington,DC ...even southern CT !!

Old 07-25-2007, 02:08 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,733,207 times
I have seen palms growing in Washington State and Vancouver BC. I have seen quite a few palms growing in Virginia Beach, VA and along the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Outside of the U.S., I have seen palms growing in the UK, and in Southern Russia along the Black Sea Coast.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
What about the midwest? Too cold in winter? Chicago puts some out along the beach in summer, but Ive never seen them out when it gets cold out. We have cacti (eastern prickly pear) that grow here naturally, I wouldnt be surprised if some palm variants could survive?

Old 07-25-2007, 05:12 PM

319 posts, read 494,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I have seen palms growing in Washington State and Vancouver BC. I have seen quite a few palms growing in Virginia Beach, VA and along the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Outside of the U.S., I have seen palms growing in the UK, and in Southern Russia along the Black Sea Coast.
True.

The city of Sochi on the Black Sea is Russia's version of Miami.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:43 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
I've wondered that same thing and I believe it was AustinTraveler who sent me a wonderful site about palms. It shows many different kinds and the temps they'll tolerate. Some are very hardy and should actually be able to grow in places like OK and Ark. I'll see if I can get a hold of her to see if she could provide you with the link.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:07 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,077 times
Here's the site I sent to Jammie, the Palm Tree Lover Extraordinaire!

Palm Tree Advice and Pictures of Palms from Sun Palm Trees

AT

Old 07-25-2007, 11:35 PM

172 posts, read 609,072 times
I have a Palm Tree in my backyard (Trachycarpus fortunei a.k.a. The Chinese Windmill Palm) and I live in the Vancouver area, I had a Mexican Fan Palm, but it died this winter....I decided to give it a try outdoors this winter (it was 2 years old) and well, all the wind and rain for the first half of November did a number on it, the sub zero temperatures for about a week we had in late November heavily damaged it, than we had more storms in January and than another 5 days of subzero temperatures in mid January finished it off

Mostly the Palms people have here are Chinese Windmill Palms, Windamere Palms, and Needle Palms as they are the hardiest. BUT, that said, there are not many of them.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:19 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
I have noticed that they seem to be growing certain species of palm further north. For one thing, on my drive from S. Fl to NY, I noticed that Florence,Sc was LOADED with Palmetto trees. Last time (About 4 years ago), there were hardly any. Royal Palms used to be common exclusively in South Florida too. I started seeing them around Orlando, and they are now common throughout the coastal areas in Central Fla right up to Orlando area. California/Mexican fan palms are making their way into southern SC too, from what I noticed. They used to struggle further north than Daytona Beach. Now they are all over Jacksonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather