Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate would you prefer: Invercargill, NZ or Victoria, BC?
Invercargill 7 19.44%
Victoria 29 80.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The 1580 (not 1500!) is out of date. The 1971-2000 average was 1610 (though the 30-year average was as low as 1565 for 1961-90). For me Victoria would be much more pleasant, with comparatively high sun hours in the warmest months.
So? Only 30 hours difference. I often round sunshine hours to the nearest 100 especially since I can only mine off a map and tend to ignore the last few digits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 04:58 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So? Only 30 hours difference. I often round sunshine hours to the nearest 100 especially since I can only mine off a map and tend to ignore the last few digits.
Trends - if they are real - can be important. There has been an unexplained significant further increase in the following decade, of well over 100 hours. Unclear if it's partly a measurement artifact or not.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Victoria is under a rather stable high pressure system throughout the summer. It's not California, and some clouds sneak in. Victoria has sunnier summers than the Northeast US, let alone Atlantic Canada or Newfoundland (which is at a similar latitude)
From what have seen of the data that Deb78 linked...the hours for sunshine in Victoria are 273 hrs for June...327 hours for July...and 297 hours for August.

Summers are fairly sunny everywhere in the USA. Your eyes are probably better than mine (lol)...but it looks like in June, most locations in the Northeast from Connecticut/Long Island southward receive more than 280 hours of sunshine. Only central/northern New England receives less than 280 hrs of sunshine (July/August are similar geographically - with most locations below Massachusetts receiving 280 – 300 hrs):

Of course I'm sure you know that although for the 3 months of summer, sunshine hrs/high pressure in much of the PNW shoot way up...that time is extremely fleeting: By even early fall (October)...sunshine hrs fall like a rock in Victoria (and the rest of the PNW) compared to the Northeast USA. In October while Victoria, Seattle, Vancouver...etc averages 120 – 150 hrs of sunshine... most of the Northeast averages from 180 to over 200 hrs of sunshine. It is only the far northeast /high country of New England (NH, VT, VT), and the northern Great Lakes that are somewhat gloomy with less than 160 hrs of sun...still more than Victoria:

Yes, there is high pressure and sunny skies in Victoria for about 90 days...the rest of the time sunshine is normally at a premium in the PNW it seems...

Old 04-05-2011, 07:09 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times
Looks like NYC is sunnier than Miami in June.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:19 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Yea...reflection of the tropical rainy season at that time in Florida. Like many Aw climates, it seems in Miami rainfall emphatically follows the sun.

I still love it, though. There is nothing like a tropical rain shower. Somehow running through the rain and getting soaked when it's 84 F seems so primordial

Old 04-05-2011, 07:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Yes, there is high pressure and sunny skies in Victoria for about 90 days...the rest of the time sunshine is normally at a premium in the PNW it seems...

To quibble a bit, June isn't the best for showing the PNW at its sunniest, it's barely a summer month there. September and June have the same temperatures in Seattle. July would make the PNW seem a bit sunnier than the Northeast, since as you pointed out Victoria has 327 hours of sun, higher than anywhere in New England. Of course, if compared by sunshine percentage the results might be slightly different.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times
Quote:
Yea...reflection of the tropical rainy season at that time in Florida. Like many Aw climates, it seems in Miami rainfall emphatically follows the sun.

I still love it, though. There is nothing like a tropical rain shower. Somehow running through the rain and getting soaked when it's 84 F seems so primordial
Yep. Feels almost as if you were in your own bathroom.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Could also be that NYC has longer hours of daylight, so more time to lots of sunshine.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:39 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
I think the words “less variation” might not fit so well when discussing any Temperate Oceanic (Do) climate zones (lol):

While both climates might have somewhat modest annual variation in temperatures (both diurnal and annual) ...in terms of variation of sensible weather and storminess - both these climates would seem to be anything but stable: Located in the stormy westerlies most of the year, both these locations would seem to be areas of frequent changing pressure gradients, coastal gales, rough seas, frequent fog, and a chronic lack of high pressure (lol).

Invercargill is located in the stormiest/most cloudy region on New Zealand according to the link you supplied (although Auckland and Wellington get more rain – I think they get more sun too). While the 1500 hrs of sunshine that Invercargill receives annually is lower than the 2100 that Victoria receives...this still doesn’t mean Victoria is anything but a pretty gloomy climate.

In terms of warmth ...both these locations seem to struggle greatly: The average highs in summer in Invercargill struggle to reach the upper 60’s (18.8 C average for Jan)...and Victoria is even a bit lower, with 15 C summer highs (59/60 F). Those numbers are some of the coolest high sun summer temps on earth below 50 latitude I would guess.

Both climates would be a challenge for anyone who likes warm, bright, dry weather it would seem. I would have to still go with Victoria however; it receives a good deal more sun. It would be hard to imagine living in a clime with 1500 hrs of sun annually. I think sun hrs trump anything, except maybe bitter cold (under 0 F/-18 C).

When talking temperatures, some temperate oceanic climates have a narrower range of temperatures year round than many places in the subtropics and even a few tropical locations. I guess that's what I was getting at. Invercargill's temperatures especially in winter are more stable than Victoria's.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:05 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Could also be that NYC has longer hours of daylight, so more time to lots of sunshine.
Yes. Miami only drops below 68% in Dec-Jan, whereas NYC's highest is 65%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather