Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which subarctic climate would you prefer?
Yellowknife 54 58.06%
Torshavn 39 41.94%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Have you experienced -40C?

Now imagine if there was a blackout, you'd need mounds of seal skin or whatever to keep you warm, and you could barely go outside for more than a few minutes.

Clouds have never killed anyone (not talking about rain, or SAD-related suicide ).
we get -40 every once in a while, nothing extremely cold. It's sad that people from hot climates still think that anything below 0 means instant death. If these guys can be naked at -40, all I need is a T shirt and thongs to warm me up in -70 weather
So just how cold is it in Fairbanks, Alaska? (NSFW) photo from the Road bike photo Gallery (warning: explicit
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OdfjvLMNjp...-Fairbanks.jpg

Last edited by Kaul; 06-15-2011 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Hey all,

Here are two subarctic climates both at 62N which are very different from each other. Which would you prefer and why?

I think it goes without saying for those who know my preferences, I'd go with Tórshavn with its incredibly mild winters for the latitude.

Tórshavn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yellowknife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What a difficult decision.
Both weather climates are solid F-'s from me.

I think I would get depressed living in either one of these weather climates.

Out of the two, I would pick Yellowknife over Torshavn. Yellowknife gets much more sunshine and very sunny springs and summers. However, even Yellowknife gets low anemic sunshine in the fall and winter, but at least it does not have anemic sunshine for every month of the year which is Torshavn's problem.

Also, Yellowknife gets warmer summers than Torshavn during June to August even though Yellowknife has much colder winters.

Also, Yellowknife's weather at least is more interesting than Torshavn's weather.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:10 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,067,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
all I need is a T shirt and thongs to warm me up in -70 weather
Please try doing this -- see how many minutes you can survive! This fetish for extreme cold is pure posturing.

And yes, -40 F is extreme by any objective standard. Very few inhabited places in the world experience such a temperature with any regularity.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
I'd go Yellowknife. I imagine Torshavn would be more windy and drizzly.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,232 times
I voted for Yellowknife. It actually has something resembling summers and very decent sunshine. Winters are brutal but for about 5 months of the year it is actually not bad. In Torshavn I'd be miserable year-round.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I voted for Yellowknife. It actually has something resembling summers and very decent sunshine. Winters are brutal but for about 5 months of the year it is actually not bad. In Torshavn I'd be miserable year-round.
Yeah. I voted Yellowknife for similar reasons.
Did you agree with my post about Yellowknife weather vs. Torshavn weather?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:50 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Yeah. I voted Yellowknife for similar reasons.
Did you agree with my post about Yellowknife weather vs. Torshavn weather?
Pretty much. In Yellowknife at least I'd have something to look forward to each year.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Pretty much. In Yellowknife at least I'd have something to look forward to each year.
You still would have something to look forward to in Torshavn Faroe Islands. About 30 to 50 days of sunshine out of 365 days for the entire year. This is one of the lowest sunshine and most cloudiest habited place in the world but it still could be worse.

But yeah, for Yellowknife there are more weather days to look forward to, especially for 5 months of the year from May to September.
And Yellowknife weather is more interesting to experience than Torshavn's weather.

I actually like cloudy/rainy days sometimes too, but Torshavn Faroe Islands just takes it to a OCD horrible level.
And Torshavn does not really have an actual sumer which is lame.

Last edited by ; 06-21-2011 at 07:40 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,837 times
Quote:
And a lot of snow shoveling to do.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:03 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I voted for Torshavn for the sole reason, I've been there, only for a day as our transatlantic cruise stopped there! It was overcast but no drizzle or rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather