Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:07 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times

Advertisements

Thunderstorms, lightning, rain, snow....cool days and warm ones.....I love the changing weather and how much it affects our lives. It is amazing really and I like the fact we have no control over it either....

I suppose my favorite weather situation is: sitting under an open-air porch with roof, during a thunderstorm. Oh the smell of that rain.....and the sharp incredible sounds from the sky......awesome. I get chills not from being cold but from just loving the moment.

Am I weird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 06:41 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,693 times
I love weather too, but not that kind. I love the sun and warmth. I love to be outside and bask in the sunlight, it feels so good! I also love being in thunderstorms. The best feeling in the world, is being inside a car while it's just pouring outside and being all warm and dry.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thunderstorms, lightning, rain, snow....cool days and warm ones.....I love the changing weather and how much it affects our lives. It is amazing really and I like the fact we have no control over it either....

I suppose my favorite weather situation is: sitting under an open-air porch with roof, during a thunderstorm. Oh the smell of that rain.....and the sharp incredible sounds from the sky......awesome. I get chills not from being cold but from just loving the moment.

Am I weird?
I am the same way myself, but unlike most people I like dreary and foggy days with low ceilings, strong winds and sometimes heavy rain and temps in the 50's or low 60's. What I really like is that since that I can get into my private plane (4 seater cessna shown below) and be A PART OF the weather and fly in those conditions.

I took these pics while flying with a few friends from CT to VA right on the backside the remanence of Tropical Storm Ida back in November of 2009. The cloud bases (ceilings) were only 500 ft so we were flying on instruments just 1 min after takeoff and only flew visually the last minute before landing. The winds were also gusting to well over 30 mph but since they were parallel to the runway, takeoff and landing weren't too hard.

I'm one of the few pilots who loves instrument weather sooo much that I prefer days like this and get bummed on sunny days! How backwards!
Attached Thumbnails
I love "weather"!!-10-miles-e-jfk-arpt-6000   I love "weather"!!-fuel-stop-toms-river-nj.jpg   I love "weather"!!-between-layers-4000ft-central-nj.jpg   I love "weather"!!-over-chesapeake-bay-8000ft.jpg   I love "weather"!!-above-weather-8000-ft.jpg  

I love "weather"!!-its-soo-cool-like-atmosphere-jupiter   I love "weather"!!-you-really-feel-cut-off-outside   I love "weather"!!-feeling-bad-poor-suckers-ground.jpg  

Old 05-06-2011, 06:59 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Am I weird?

Probably. But not for your "love of weather". Obviously I have the same interest in it, or I wouldn't be going spending £800 on a weather station and getting stupidly excited whenever there is a distant rumble of thunder about 10 miles away, the closest (and only) storm of the year

Old 05-06-2011, 12:43 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
I love weather too, but not that kind. I love the sun and warmth. I love to be outside and bask in the sunlight, it feels so good! I also love being in thunderstorms. The best feeling in the world, is being inside a car while it's just pouring outside and being all warm and dry.
I think you and the OP are on a different page entirely..

Old 05-06-2011, 03:13 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Probably. But not for your "love of weather". Obviously I have the same interest in it, or I wouldn't be going spending £800 on a weather station and getting stupidly excited whenever there is a distant rumble of thunder about 10 miles away, the closest (and only) storm of the year
If you love thunderstorms so much, I suggest you move to central Florida, they get more thunderstorm days than just about anywhere on Earth. Talk about some amazing lightning shows!

Here in Atlanta, we get storms, but not nearly as often as I would like - but we do get some biggies on occasion, hail, high winds, etc.

Have you ever considered joining a tornado-chasing tour they have this time of the year? I've thought about doing that sometime, where you get to chase storms and tornadoes all over the country for about two weeks - for someone that's just spent 800 pounds on a weather station, that might be just your ticket.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 AM

^^ Perhaps, I do enjoy the occasional thunderstorm though.

^ Central Florida is probably different, but the storms here in Miami don't seem that intense to me. From videos and pictures I've seen, Miami's storms are nowhere near the intensity of the ones out west, around Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado. Most of ours here look something like this:

YouTube - Miami Thunderstorm

Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
I do recall seeing red lightining once in South Florida. That was interesting to say the least.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:19 AM

Yeah we do have some really strong storms, but they're not the norm. You don't see this in South Florida:

http://lanabourn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/thunder_storm.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-07-2011, 10:22 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
I think next year I will have to head out to Florida or somewhere similar to get some thunderstorms. We don't seem to get them in England any more. This place has the most garbagey, boring and tedious weather known to mankind. Half baked in all respects, cold, miserable, cloudy gloomy and drab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather