Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 06:44 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
What i mean is that people that love heat probably own a pool and have a/c everywhere. If you dont have this things then the heat is painful and just plain awful.
I say this all the time. Many claim to love heat, yet spend most of their time in the A/C.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:43 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I say this all the time. Many claim to love heat, yet spend most of their time in the A/C.
I love my un-airconditioned house in the summer! The fact that my bedroom is on the second floor compensates for the relatively anemic average high summer temperatures (30 C in July) in my part of the world.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
I love my un-airconditioned house in the summer! The fact that my bedroom is on the second floor compensates for the relatively anemic average high summer temperatures (30 C in July) in my part of the world.
It's much easier to deal with the dry heat you have in Colorado without A/C than humid heat.

While warmer than ideal, I'll certainly take a dry 30 C than a humid one. We can still leave the windows open on the warm dry days, provided that the nights sufficiently cool off, which is usually the case since dryer weather allows for a larger diurnal range.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:33 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
I like it warm and cloudy.
That's the worst type of weather IMO, even wose than cold and cloudy.

I never understood what people like about cloudy days.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:04 AM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertstorm View Post
Yes, let us do the math indeed....

I am assuming you mean daily averages throughout these seasons. If so, lets consider each season lasts for 90 days, okay. So, our kindergarten maths tells us that:

90x5 = 450
90x1 = 90
180x3 = 540

therefore, total annual sunshine would be 1080 hours.

Now, let us assume you are stating those figures as the TOTAL for each season: in that case, a total of 12 hours sunshine per year!! Holy hell in my rectum

Interesting.....

Very suitable sample population there. Yes, let's ask a few residents of the coldest bloody city on Earth if they don't mind the cold, then pass it off as the opinion of most of the world How 'bout you ask someone in a climate more representative of the majority of the human race? Also, care to elaborate on how big your sample size was in this most biased of "statistics"?

Most Aussies don't mind cold weather (and exactly HOW that differentiates us from the rest of the world I don't know, every place has their cold haters and lovers), but, like most of the world, we do have a problem with temps that wouldn't be out of place in the bloody outer reaches of the solar system. When we think of cold, we think in realistic terms, like most people, in terms of temps we can actually experience and comprehend.

Realistic cold to you is maybe 10C. Afternoon highs of -80F have been recorded in Alaska and definitely Siberia, hence my proposed temps are very realistically terrestrial. To say that my temperatures are something like intergalactic and "bloody outer reaches of the solar system" is such a nasty insult to Mother nature. Good luck repenting or karma's coming your way buddy

Old 08-17-2011, 12:15 AM

98 posts, read 136,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Realistic cold to you is maybe 10C. Afternoon highs of -80F have been recorded in Alaska and definitely Siberia, hence my proposed temps are very realistically terrestrial.

-80F = -62C. The Lowest official temp on record in Alaska is -62C at Prospect Creek. More than likely it occured overnight, rather than in the afternoon. SO obviously, afternoon highs of -62C have NEVER occured in Alaska, at least at an official station. Wrong again bro.

The coldest reliably recorded temps in Siberia are around -69C, and that is overnight, which says to me that -62C afternoons would be very rare, rather than the norm.

Quote:
To say that my temperatures are something like intergalactic and "bloody outer reaches of the solar system" is such a nasty insult to Mother nature. Good luck repenting or karma's coming your way buddy
This paragraph is the funniest thing I've read in my entire life to date.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:37 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
the sun is very strong here in summer.
At 54 N?

Old 08-17-2011, 04:04 AM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertstorm View Post
-80F = -62C. The Lowest official temp on record in Alaska is -62C at Prospect Creek. More than likely it occured overnight, rather than in the afternoon. SO obviously, afternoon highs of -62C have NEVER occured in Alaska, at least at an official station. Wrong again bro..
There have been unofficial recordings of much lower temperatures in Tok and the Yukon. Before you blatantly declare that I'm wrong, at least know some basic weather facts. 1) the coldest temperature always occurs at dawn, rather than overnight. 2) During extreme cold outbreaks in Alaska, the difference between the highs and lows are always marginal, though they have been 0 in most cases. For instance, January 24, 1971, Fairbanks had a high of -52 and low of -52 also. On the next day, the high was -42 and low was -45. With that said, the "official" record low could have occurred in the afternoon.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
At 54 N?

Yeah I wouldn't have said the sun felt strong here at all compared with Mediterranean countries like Portugal, Spain, Italy or anywhere further south. It goes without saying, UV index is higher at lower latitudes.

People often say warm weather "feels hotter" in the UK than other countries which makes no sense to me as most "other countries", further south than us, have more humid heat and much stronger sunshine.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Yeah I wouldn't have said the sun felt strong here at all compared with Mediterranean countries like Portugal, Spain, Italy or anywhere further south. It goes without saying, UV index is higher at lower latitudes.

People often say warm weather "feels hotter" in the UK than other countries which makes no sense to me as most "other countries", further south than us, have more humid heat and much stronger sunshine.
Maybe they mean that people feel it's hotter because they are not used to it.
I remember that some youngsters in Britain wore t-shirts at temps when Portuguese still wear winter gear as if they lived at the poles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather