Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times

Advertisements

I guess climate would have somewhat of an effect on mood, but I don't think it's the largest contributing factor. Economic and social circumstances are more important.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:12 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Or Norfolk Island etc.
I'm a ""steady eddie"", and don't like extremes of either, but some seasonal variation is mandatory.
Where I currently live is acceptable on these terms, especially for a region of well over 1/2 million people and plenty of other oppurtunities.
At the end of the day you have to live where the employment is.
Most people tend to think ""the grass is greener on the other side"" - hence the preference for heat in particular.
You also hear of plenty of people over-reacting to heat, particularly further north and west, and moving to places like Tasmania as well.
Interesting points. Also, even when people reach retirement age, they don't necessarily move to climates they consider more benign/the best they can afford - family and other matters may mean that they elect to stay put.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:04 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Interesting read, as always lots of variety in the responses! I like nice days, sunshine, but can be just as happy on an overcast day!

I moved in retirement, north, not south! I love living near Lake Michigan (close enough to hear it) and weather variety it gives me! I realize I am an exception to every preconceived idea about retirees out there!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Interesting read, as always lots of variety in the responses! I like nice days, sunshine, but can be just as happy on an overcast day!

I moved in retirement, north, not south! I love living near Lake Michigan (close enough to hear it) and weather variety it gives me! I realize I am an exception to every preconceived idea about retirees out there!
My grandparents retired from Florida to New Jersey after living there for 20 years! My parents actually want to retire even further north to Upstate New York, but that's still a ways off.

Me, I just hope the world is still around when I retire.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
I love that everyone has a different opinion on this, lol

Me, i HATE the heat! so i guess im not like the majority according to the OP. Actually, my favourite temperature is 68 f, with 0% humidity and sun! And i like cloudy rainy days once in a while, too. I dont mind the 70s (they are actually quite nice), or the 50s. 80s can be nice if it isnt to humid. But anything more than 90 is just hell to me! Hate it, hate it, hate it!

Now im in the end of fall/beggining of winter and im really enjoying the cold! Love it! My mood gets better and im much more active in cold months that in the awful, hot humid summer!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:46 AM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I love that everyone has a different opinion on this, lol

Me, i HATE the heat! so i guess im not like the majority according to the OP. Actually, my favourite temperature is 68 f, with 0% humidity and sun! And i like cloudy rainy days once in a while, too. I dont mind the 70s (they are actually quite nice), or the 50s. 80s can be nice if it isnt to humid. But anything more than 90 is just hell to me! Hate it, hate it, hate it!

Now im in the end of fall/beggining of winter and im really enjoying the cold! Love it! My mood gets better and im much more active in cold months that in the awful, hot humid summer!
It doesn't even reach 90 regularly where you live and you are crying about the heat for god's sake. I invite you to come live in Arizona or Texas for one month where the regular high temps is 100+

Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
It doesn't even reach 90 regularly where you live and you are crying about the heat for god's sake. I invite you to come live in Arizona or Texas for one month where the regular high temps is 100+
It does reach 90 A LOT, from november to april. It goes till 100 in summer, too. The humidity makes it even worse. Really, Buenos Aires summers arent funny, they arent "cool", we dont even have slow breezes, and the icky asphalt, the packed subways, the sun coming making oasis in the cement streets, the 13 million people that live here!!! Im telling you this is no pic nic!
Im sure Arizona is worse, but i invite you to spend a January in Buenos Aires and i guarantee you you wont find even a slow breeze to cool you down. Plus, we dont have sea, lakes or community pools. Just a gigantic city packed with 13 million people walking all day under the sunshine. AKA= HELL.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:06 AM

oh yeah, and the humidity!!! always 100%!! I cant even think of the summer i start sweating. One can say anything about Buenos Aires, except it doesnt have hot summers. I invite everyone that says this to live a summer in a gigantic city full of people when the lights go massively out every 2 days cause of the overuse of air conditionings. It may say that the average high for january is 87/89 (dont remember exaclty), but the people+cement+humidity, make it feel like its 100!

(thats actually la "sensacion térmica" wich is always above 90/95)

Old 06-07-2011, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
It does reach 90 A LOT, from november to april. It goes till 100 in summer, too. The humidity makes it even worse. Really, Buenos Aires summers arent funny, they arent "cool", we dont even have slow breezes, and the icky asphalt, the packed subways, the sun coming making oasis in the cement streets, the 13 million people that live here!!! Im telling you this is no pic nic!
Im sure Arizona is worse, but i invite you to spend a January in Buenos Aires and i guarantee you you wont find even a slow breeze to cool you down. Plus, we dont have sea, lakes or community pools. Just a gigantic city packed with 13 million people walking all day under the sunshine. AKA= HELL.
I just looked at the temp history for January for your city. It is not even as bad as you make it out to be. Link (History : Weather Underground). This weather is much cooler than southern US standard. I have lived through worse weather by the way. In Texas, we got 100+ for 7 weeks straight.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:23 AM

Most people on here who claim to prefer hot warm weather have never lived through "hot" weather. I have spent time in many tropical countries and everyone there hates their own hot weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather