Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:27 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,069,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No stats for Palm Springs? I assume very hot, anyway.

Downtown LA
Newport Beach
Mojave
Santa Barbara
Palm Springs

I don't like the 'summerless' coast...even the height of summer in coastal SoCal does not have what I would consider proper beach weather. Even as far south as Santa Monica the average July high is a mere 21C(71F).
Sorry, I messed up the OP -- the stats for PS are next to SB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 12:19 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
These are the most boring climates on earth.

Well, I guess -

Santa Barbra

Newport Beach

Mojave (even it's relatively cool minimum temperatures in winter cannot offset its foul summer)

Los Angeles

Palm Springs

Old 09-15-2011, 04:57 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,564,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Palm Springs
Downtown LA
Newport Beach
Santa Barbara
Mojave
Glad to see someone with whom I share climatic preferences

Old 09-15-2011, 08:19 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Southern California, world famous for its warm, sunny climate, is also known for exhibiting a wide range of climatic variety. When you have subarctic ocean currents sweeping down the coast and one of the hottest deserts in the world further inland... anything can happen!

How would you rank these five representative climates?

My ranking in descending order of preference:

Newport Beach
Downtown L.A.
Santa Barbara
Mojave
Palm Springs

I lived for two months (in the hot season!) in Palm Springs and vacation once in a while in California. This is how I look at the regional climate:

Despite the cool ocean currents from the north and a hot inland subtropical desert in close proximity…the southern half of California is one of the most stable (for fans of weather watching read as boring) climates on earth. South of about 36 latitude, whether inland or coastal – deep high pressure, sunny skies, chronic drought, and stable weather prevail throughout much of the year. The real “climate variety” that occurs in California occurs at elevation, and is much more common in northern than in southern California. The true sensible weather differences from Downtown LA, Santa Barbara, Newport Beach…etc would not amount to much for the most part. Only that the coastal areas have cooler daytime highs while inland areas (even only a few miles from the beach) are hotter.

In terms of desirable weather…places like Newport Beach, LA, San Diego, Santa Barbara,…etc will have far more livable weather conditions than the desert cities like Palm Springs: 12 months of the year, the coastal cities are mild and sunny. True beach weather in southern California cities runs from May through October, though it’s not uncommon to find people lying on the beach in warm days in the winter months. Daily highs can get above 75 F/23 C even in mid winter in cities like Los Angeles once in a while.

Palm Springs, CA is another matter:

Palm Springs really started as a winter resort area for the move stars in the 1930’s. While the climate of desert cities is near perfect about 7 months a year (November through April)…the heat of the hot season is truly searing. In Palm Springs, from mid May through early October, a pitiless sun, no rain, average daytime highs above 100 F/37 C , and a stillness to the environment , occur day after day merciless predictability. I spent a July and August in/near Palm Springs and Twenty Nine Palms, CA; Although I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of living in the desert in the hot season, after several weeks the desire to engage in physical activity in + 100 F/37 C temps wore thin – this from a person who enjoys warm and sunny weather. I could not imagine living in these conditions from May through early October every year.

I think any of the cities above, (except for Palm Springs) would offer near perfect weather 12 months a year.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:29 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Santa Barbara
Newport beach -Our neighbours are from there.
Downtown L A
Mojave
Palm Springs

I would like coastal southern California climates, except for the fact the summers are too dry. The great thing about the coast, is that you have the option of seriously hot or colder places not too far away.

Last edited by Joe90; 09-17-2011 at 02:04 PM..

Old 09-17-2011, 04:04 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,069,702 times
I love how even the gloomiest months in SoCal have 70% of possible sun.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:11 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Not quite 70%:

Los Angeles - annual 73%, lowest 65% (June)
San Diego - annual 68%, lowest 58% (June)

Old 09-17-2011, 09:26 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,764 times
Palm Springs
Downtown LA
Newport Beach
Santa Barbara
Mojave

Old 09-18-2011, 12:30 AM

914 posts, read 2,104,513 times
San Francisco is the only acceptable climate in California

Old 09-18-2011, 12:50 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
San Francisco is the only acceptable climate in California
Eureka and points north up on the coast to the Oregon border are cooler than San Francisco.... so why aren't they acceptable to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather