Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times

Advertisements

My forearms are actually pretty tan, I guess since they've been exposed to sun all my life. Same with my face, well...to a lesser extent. But the rest of my body is really, really pale and will burn pretty badly within 30 minutes or so without sunscreen. Swimming seemed to make it even worse, though that could have just been my imagination. Several times I've tried to let it tan, but it just burns and goes right back to bright white.

I got to see some of Eastern WA on my way here, and while it was interesting I imagine most of it would be warmer than I'd prefer in the summer, though I like the idea of colder winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
Back in Texas, I used to love getting in the pool ONLY because it was sooo hot and humid. When it was so hot out, the pool was a refreshing place to be where the water was usually warmish, not too cold. Then, because it was still very warm and humid at night, we'd get in the pool at night. That I do miss, no sun to burn you, kids asleep. It felt nice to be in the pool and look up in the night sky and see the stars and swaying palm trees. But once again, i did it only because it was hot. When I moved up here to Colorado, I noticed it never got "really" hot enough for me to want to get in the pool. But i did end up going about 4 times in the 3 months it was open. I prefer enjoying doing outdoor activities instead like walking, biking, playing sports, enjoying a nice picnic or a day at the park when it's not too hot.
I feel the same way. I prefer other outdoor activites, especially in cooler weather. I don't hate swimming, I'm just kind of indifferent to it. I will say though that it's a great way to exercise.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. I'm unlikely to burn unless I'm spending the whole day outside.

I was in Washington for part of the summer. I found the temperatures comfortable, but I missed having water warm enough to dip myself in. I love the feeling of going in water and having all your sweatiness disappear.

I found a lake in Eastern Washington that was warm enough and I was very happy. Felt like a highlight of my time in Washington. Glad to hear you found a better climate for your tastes. I liked Western Washington.

I attached a few photos of the lake in Eastern Washington and one of a spot a bit north of the lake
Cool! which lake is that? I'll have to check it out next summer

Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Cool! which lake is that? I'll have to check it out next summer
Palmer Lake, near Loomis, WA. There's not much out there, though the border crossing guard told me there's lots to see.

Btw, there are some really nice places on the BC side. And some good summer weather. I attached some photos of BC. I need to stop myself or I'll keep adding more.
Attached Thumbnails
Swimming-dsc_0687_2.jpg   Swimming-dsc_0021.jpg   Swimming-dsc_0816_2.jpg   Swimming-dsc_0759_2.jpg   Swimming-dsc_0290.jpg  

Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Wow, great pictures, nei!

Edit: The peaks in that last photo look kind of familiar.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
I enjoy swimming outdoor on warm / hot summer days. Not that I get to do it often, but I enjoy it when I do.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:50 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Definitely beautiful pics nei.. thanks for sharing.. will have to check out that area next summer

Old 09-29-2011, 06:36 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
I know someone here who don't want to swim when the air is below 33 C/92 F.

(it's very-seldom ideal for them here, but maybe they aren't big on swimming)

Old 09-29-2011, 12:11 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times
I don't swim as much as I used to but I do go to the beach on average 4-6 times during a season. I feel like swimming is just one part of the general beach-going recreation. I like sunbathing, relaxing by the water with little on other than swimming trunks as you are hanging out with friends or family. I don't necessarily have to be in the water although I do that to cool off. So yes, I'm glad that in the Mid-Atlantic US usually there is a solid three-month period that accommodates beach-going. I'd hate to have to go to the beach on a 72F day.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I feel the same way. I prefer other outdoor activites, especially in cooler weather. I don't hate swimming, I'm just kind of indifferent to it. I will say though that it's a great way to exercise.
If you are being active, playing sports etc then I agree that cooler weather is better.

However if you also like do stuff that's more laid back - bbq, picnics, sunbathing, just reading a book or having a conversation outside - then warmer temperatures are better. The problem is, for me at least, there is a very small range of temperatures where you can be completely comfortable outdoors. If I'm not active, it does not take much at all for me to feel uncomfortably cool. Sometimes the sun going behind a cloud is all it takes. Sure, I can put on clothes but a lot of times that alone reduces my ability to enjoy outdoors. Having to wear anything more than shorts and t-shirt is sub-optimal for me.

On the flip side, it doesn't take much for me to get hot as well. But that is where swimming and hanging out by the water comes in. Get hot? Spend 5 min in the water, come out and you will be fine for another 15-2 min at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather