Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 05:39 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 06:03 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,565,391 times
Singapore has a fantastic climate ! It's always warm and bright with spectacular thunderstorms, a high sun, lush equatorial vegetation and year-round late sunsets. I love it.

Hong Kong is not bad either but clearly inferior IMO, winter can get seriously uncomfortable, with cold winds and drizzle; and late winter and spring are bleak and gloomy due to very low sunshine levels. Plus there's smog and typhoons

Old 10-16-2011, 06:36 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,796,509 times
I'd take Singapore over Hong Kong, in fact Singapore sounds great for a heat lover like me who likes warm and wet but not extremely sunny weather. Hong Kong weather wise a decent place for me ( A- territory ), but the dim winter, the bad air pollution, and the risk of typhoons ( all pointed out by Dhdh ) moves this to B-/C+ at best. Singapore is A- - I'd like a little seasonal variation.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:27 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,542,297 times
From merriam-webster.com
Definition of BLEAK

: exposed and barren and often windswept
: cold, raw <a bleak November evening>
a : lacking in warmth, life, or kindliness : grim
b : not hopeful or encouraging : depressing <a bleak outlook>
c : severely simple or austere
— bleak·ly adverb
— bleak·ness noun

I don't understand what you mean by bleaker...

Singapore for reasons already mentioned above.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:37 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,565,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
I'd take Singapore over Hong Kong, in fact Singapore sounds great for a heat lover like me who likes warm and wet but not extremely sunny weather. Hong Kong weather wise a decent place for me ( A- territory ), but the dim winter, the bad air pollution, and the risk of typhoons ( all pointed out by Dhdh ) moves this to B-/C+ at best. Singapore is A- - I'd like a little seasonal variation.
This is exactly how I would rate those two climates, A- and C+ respectively. However unlike you I love abundant sunshine. IMHO Singapore would be perfect if half the year remained as it is (i.e. from October to March, with thunderstorms and high humidity) while the other became dry and sunny.

Hong Kong's worst problem is smog, followed by its highly windy tendency in winter, and temperature swings (I've seen maximums of 9°C and 29°C a couple of weeks apart)

Old 10-16-2011, 09:27 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
You don't like extreme amounts of sunshine? But you're in Egypt!

That's actually one of my most favourite things about Egyptian climate stats is hardly any cloud cover.
It looks much sunnier than even Western Australia.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:35 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
From merriam-webster.com
Definition of BLEAK

: exposed and barren and often windswept
: cold, raw <a bleak November evening>
a : lacking in warmth, life, or kindliness : grim
b : not hopeful or encouraging : depressing <a bleak outlook>
c : severely simple or austere
— bleak·ly adverb
— bleak·ness noun

I don't understand what you mean by bleaker...

Singapore for reasons already mentioned above.

hahaha. that's a good one Asagi!

I would rate Singapore an A or A- and Hong Kong a B or B+.
Both climates plants grow with extreme ease.

Hong Kong is nearly tropical and the cooler winter pattern might allow for easy manual labour outdoors in the winter season.
Hong Kong has air pollution issues, but that's not the climate or landscape's fault.
The landscape of Hong Kong is similar to Puerto Rican rainforest, even if it doesn't feel tropical in winter.

Singapore's humidity is probably extreme for long periods,
but its equitorial latitude eliminates the chance of cyclone/typhoon/hurricane.
Lack of severe weather besides heavy rain would be a big plus.
No cool season would mean any heavy labour is probably best done at night or morning.

Both are good, but I like drinking hot tea when the heat index is under 40 C/104 F.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:23 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
They both look horrible but at least Hong Kong seems to cool down a little in the winter. For that alone I'd choose it over Singapore.

As for the term "bleak", I didn't know that part of the definition was "cold" or "windswept", I always thought the word just basically meant bad, miserable, and/or hopeless. So I understood that the title of this thread was just a play on the Canada vs Russia thread, since some of us wouldn't find all of Russia or Canada miserable or hopeless.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:01 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Singapore by a long shot.. as dhdh mentions above... Hong Kong can get uncomfortable in winter temperature wise and is quite cloudy in winter.
A+ for Singapore
B- for Hong Kong

Old 10-16-2011, 04:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
You don't like extreme amounts of sunshine? But you're in Egypt!

That's actually one of my most favourite things about Egyptian climate stats is hardly any cloud cover.
It looks much sunnier than even Western Australia.
Not as sunny as southwest Arizona though Sunniest city in the world is Yuma, AZ on the CA/AZ border
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather