Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 03:26 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Coastal CT East Coast U.S

Blizzards
Floods
Tropical Systems(rare though)
Lightning(not too bad)
Droughts(although not often)

Traffic and Population (disaster getting worse by day)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 03:34 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Fires.
In Colorado it is dry and the winds can be dangerous. There have
been several major fires here.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:25 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
This Texas county is on record as having the second most number of tornadoes since the 1950s. However, I haven't seen one in the last three years.

Our worse natural disaster right now is drought.

I forgot. Although only related to the drought, this past summer we had two farm houses burn down when someone threw out a cigarette on the dry grass.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:49 PM

45 posts, read 76,966 times
Sophie, I'm from BA too. I have to say that floods in BA are not to be considered as a "natural disaster". It doesn't rain THAT much, it just rains normally; the problem is the infrastructure and the overpopulation of some neighborhoods (specially with all the new tall buildings).

Also, it wouldn't make sense to make anti-earthquake constructions in BA, just as it doesn't make sense in any non-sismic area around the world; it's incredibly more expensive. For what matters, if we did that, we should also prevent every possible natural disaster, like tornadoes, hurricanes, meteors..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Here in Buenos Aires we get a lot of floods. A lot. And they cause several damages since this city is so overpopulated and so not ready to floods. A couple of neighbourhoods get all their streets flooded when it rains a lot (and it rains here!, specially in spring/summer), and its really bad.

Other than floods, BA actually doesnt get natural disasters, wich is a blessing, cause considering how UNPREPARED this city is and how it relies on the fact that this is not earthquake/tornado/hurricane zone, constructions are always tall and weak and nothing is prepare to face the actual rage of nature. Wich means that if we get the smallest most harmless earthquake of the history of the world we will probably die within a second. 13 millon people died in a second for a tiny little shake. Scary.

Everytime i read a Chile natural disaster new (poor chileans, they get all the natural disaster in that narrow country) on tv, i always think: "what if that happen in BA?", and i shake by the only thought of it. Since chileans are in a shaky/volcano messy natural disaster zone, they are prepared for this. We here are so "relaxed". Im not actually. I just moved to a 12 floor with balcony and yesterday there was a storm and i thought the building was gonna fall apart! LOL.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:23 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
Earthquakes and the occasional fall or winter windstorm.

Does months on end of drizzle count as a disaster?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:02 PM

174 posts, read 470,614 times
Pretty much blizzards and thunderstorms.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:29 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
The February 2004 NSW Heatwave was the most sustained and intense I have ever experienced, and that was after a prolonged drought and El Nino patterns:

NSW Febraury 2004: Heatwave Conditions

I believe coastal Sydney was spared the worst of it, but Penrith got to 45C , as did most Hunter Valley centres - temps were in the high 30's to low 40's for 2 weeks straight, and Wilcannia in the far west had 16 days in a row above 40C (with schools closed for a whole 2 weeks).
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/curren...ents/scs27.pdf.
This was, by far, the worst heatwave I've experienced since moving here from Victoria 11 years ago. The very high humidity, as well as the hot minimums, whenever I had to "venture" outside made it feel much worse! I recall having the AC on for over 140 consecutive hours (six days give or take) - such a lifesaver!
Also, for the record, the highest temperature I've experienced here was on New Years Day 2006 when maximums reached 44-45C in the city, airport and even Bondi.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:48 AM

55 posts, read 82,581 times
I should mention the most obvious for my area - bushfires. 170+ dead on February 7, 2009.

Otherwise, severe thunderstorms cause the most damage, with large hail and flash flooding common. There's the threat of tornadoes aswell.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilstar View Post
I should mention the most obvious for my area - bushfires. 170+ dead on February 7, 2009.

Otherwise, severe thunderstorms cause the most damage, with large hail and flash flooding common. There's the threat of tornadoes aswell.
Also many sites in the Melbourne Metropolitan Area recorded their hottest day on record (46-47C).
It was so devastating to see Kinglake, Marysville and surrounding areas destroyed by those horrible and evil bushfires as I spent a lot of time there in my childhood as I had an aunty and uncle living there with 4 cousins, they no longer live there now as they've all moved to NSW (Port Macquarie). I was down there for work recently and couldn't believe how much the area has changed, a lot of empty blocks of land where houses proudly once stood, a lot of vegetation gone and the population has decreased too.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:49 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Hurricanes including Irene which cause massive tree damage and surge flooding for our county and our neighboring counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather