Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 11:30 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,787,848 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]For something different I created a whole new world.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I found a map of a world on the internet which had dry and wet areas but made extensive changes to it which leaves the previous dry/wet areas meaningless.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I made 3 maps one without the latitude, one with the latitudes, and a map of various names of oceans, mountains, islands etc. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]This world is like our earth, it’s just past the peak of an ice age.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I’m unsure about the overall climate, as there’s so many variables such as ocean currents, positions of continents, mountains, monsoon rains etc. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The Sunderland Ocean especially closer to the Northlands is shallow so it freezes easier.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The Pabluea Sea is deep.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]For the mountains I created 3 different colors for the heights. The highest mountains are the Great Karstanelle Mountains which are about the height of the Himalayas. The next highest mountains are the lower Trinity Mountains, and the mountains on Belneski Island. The medium color mountains are about the size of the Rocky Mountains or the Alps or perhaps a bit lower.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Do you have any ideas about the climate, currents etc. Do you have any favorite areas? I welcome you to discuss. I think with everyone on here there can be some consensus of what climate should be like.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Feel free to make a map showing any ideas you have on Manboria world.[/SIZE]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 01:46 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,795,521 times
Preliminary guesses, but I'm guessing there would a lot of favorable climates around Karstanelle and East Griere's ( lol ) highland areas; moist highland subtropical, I'm thinking. Southern Karstanelle looks like it could be in your planet's worst area for hurricanes, though.

Tiaresia would probably have some very strong coastal cold currents. I'm thinking the west coast would pretty much be like South America's, under the influence of the Humbolt current, only as though South America and Antarctica joined. The Waverly mountains probably will have some of my least favorite climates on their coast; oceanic subpolar to subarctic with excessive precipitation.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Preliminary guesses, but I'm guessing there would a lot of favorable climates around Karstanelle and East Griere's ( lol ) highland areas; moist highland subtropical, I'm thinking. Southern Karstanelle looks like it could be in your planet's worst area for hurricanes, though.

Tiaresia would probably have some very strong coastal cold currents. I'm thinking the west coast would pretty much be like South America's, under the influence of the Humbolt current, only as though South America and Antarctica joined. The Waverly mountains probably will have some of my least favorite climates on their coast; oceanic subpolar to subarctic with excessive precipitation.

[SIZE=3]Good stuff![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]That’s a good point on Karstanelle Island more likely to have hurricanes. I do wonder how the Great Karstanelle Mountains would affect things here, thought they are more inland[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I have to have been thinking of having the southern hemisphere having colder ocean currents, as in earth it’s like that while in both cases there’s less land. For the east coast of Tiaresia I wonder if Long Island would break up a cold current. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I’m still trying to figure out where the biggest deserts will be at. I figure that they are more likely to be on the west coasts then the east coasts, but again things likely ocean currents, mountains, and the shape of the land are sure to affect this.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]For monsoon rains I read that larger continents are more likely to have this happen.[/SIZE]

Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
Southeastern Tomar should be appropriate for me

We could send Kaul to the Northlands as well.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Southeastern Tomar should be appropriate for me

We could send Kaul to the Northlands as well.
[SIZE=3]Cool choice The southern end of Tomar is likely tropical as It’s close to the equator. I wish I had more tropical islands but the map I created this from didn’t really have any tropical islands. I created Tiaresia and its islands on my own for this purpose. I’ve been thinking of putting in more tropical islands but where?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]For all of the cold, wet and snowy weather lovers they shouldn’t have any problems finding places.[/SIZE]

Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
What is this planet's circumference and mass? What is the axial tilt of this new world? How many Earth (hours/weeks/months/years) does it take for it to rotate one time on its axis? How many Earth (days/weeks/months/years) does it take for it to revolve once around its star? Does it have any moons and if so, how many are there, how big are they, how far away are they, and how quickly do they orbit the planet? What kind of star does the planet orbit, and how far away from its star is it? Is its orbit highly elliptical, perfectly circular, or somewhere in the middle? How far away and which hemisphere is more pointed towards its star at perihelion? Aphelion? Is it tidally locked or otherwise in some special spin-orbit resonance with its star? Does it only have one star, or is it part of a binary system? If it is part of a binary system, what is the other star like? How far is it? etc. etc. etc. What is the atmosphere composition, and how thick is it? Etc. etc. etc.

The answers to all these questions and more will help determine many things. Of course you can choose to make up answers to as many or as few of those questions as you want to, or none at all. This is your world after all! Not trying to get overly technical, just trying to give ideas for variables to consider when thinking of what a climate there would look like. And of course, none of it has to be answered at all. This is all just for fun, after all!

Old 11-19-2011, 05:01 AM

497 posts, read 983,600 times
I'll have a better look later, but for now

Karstanelle looks good, with its warm position and mountains for cooler climates.

I'm thinking the deserts will be NW Tiaresia, West Griere and west of the southern Trinity Mountains.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
What is this planet's circumference and mass? What is the axial tilt of this new world? How many Earth (hours/weeks/months/years) does it take for it to rotate one time on its axis? How many Earth (days/weeks/months/years) does it take for it to revolve once around its star? Does it have any moons and if so, how many are there, how big are they, how far away are they, and how quickly do they orbit the planet? What kind of star does the planet orbit, and how far away from its star is it? Is its orbit highly elliptical, perfectly circular, or somewhere in the middle? How far away and which hemisphere is more pointed towards its star at perihelion? Aphelion? Is it tidally locked or otherwise in some special spin-orbit resonance with its star? Does it only have one star, or is it part of a binary system? If it is part of a binary system, what is the other star like? How far is it? etc. etc. etc. What is the atmosphere composition, and how thick is it? Etc. etc. etc.

The answers to all these questions and more will help determine many things. Of course you can choose to make up answers to as many or as few of those questions as you want to, or none at all. This is your world after all! Not trying to get overly technical, just trying to give ideas for variables to consider when thinking of what a climate there would look like. And of course, none of it has to be answered at all. This is all just for fun, after all!

This planet is the exact same size of earth, it’s in our solar system at the exact place of earth, the sun is the exact same place in relation to earth and it rotates at the exact speed of earth. It has one moon like earth the exact same size and exact same position. It even has pretty much the same sorts of animals as earth. Think of it as being exactly like our earth just with the continents, mountains etc organize a different way.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
I'll have a better look later, but for now

Karstanelle looks good, with its warm position and mountains for cooler climates.

I'm thinking the deserts will be NW Tiaresia, West Griere and west of the southern Trinity Mountains.

I also think that the deserts are more likely to be in these areas.

One interesting thing is that in the map I used before I made all of the changes, in the middle part of the southern Goderich Mountains it was shown to be very dry despite being close to the equator. I’ve been thinking that this still stands.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:18 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
This planet is the exact same size of earth, it’s in our solar system at the exact place of earth, the sun is the exact same place in relation to earth and it rotates at the exact speed of earth. It has one moon like earth the exact same size and exact same position. It even has pretty much the same sorts of animals as earth. Think of it as being exactly like our earth just with the continents, mountains etc organize a different way.
Okay got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather