Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:58 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times

Advertisements

In Seattle there is just under two hours between the end and start of astronomical twilight during the days surrounding the summer solstice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 12:32 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
I live on 49 degrees, not sure about this though, I never go to bed that late.. messes up sleep routine.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:36 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
This program gives you a continuous display worldwide of the shadow. Daylight World Map
Not bad, but I like this one better. Bigger map and shows all three levels of twilight:

Day and Night World Map

Old 11-26-2011, 08:54 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
In Seattle there is just under two hours between the end and start of astronomical twilight during the days surrounding the summer solstice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
I live on 49 degrees, not sure about this though, I never go to bed that late.. messes up sleep routine.
At places near that latitude, which are at the edge of where astronomical twilight is present at the darkest time at the solstice, doesn't the glow from urban lights in the large cities (Seattle, Vancouver etc.) drown out some of that the effect, right?

Old 11-26-2011, 11:53 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
At places near that latitude, which are at the edge of where astronomical twilight is present at the darkest time at the solstice, doesn't the glow from urban lights in the large cities (Seattle, Vancouver etc.) drown out some of that the effect, right?
Not really... because it manifests as a faint glow on the northern horizon that you can see even with the street lights on... at least here. Also because we have mountains to the north of where I am, it could also help to make it easier to differentiate.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:27 PM

839 posts, read 3,075,092 times
An interesting thread. I don't know much about this, but I can tell you that here in the Southern Hemisphere, places at higher latitudes than 48 S are almost all of them here in South America (Argentina and Chile). Cities like Río Gallegos (51 S), El Calafate (50 S), Río Grande (53 S), Ushuaia (54 S). I was in Río Gallegos and El Calafate once in late January, and to tell you the truth, when it was dark, it was dark. I didn't notice anything strange, apart from the fact that the sun sets very late! I also was in London in late July/early August, and the same happened. So, as someone suggested in this thread, to the non-astronimical eye, this is not noticeable.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:11 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
An interesting thread. I don't know much about this, but I can tell you that here in the Southern Hemisphere, places at higher latitudes than 48 S are almost all of them here in South America (Argentina and Chile). Cities like Río Gallegos (51 S), El Calafate (50 S), Río Grande (53 S), Ushuaia (54 S). I was in Río Gallegos and El Calafate once in late January, and to tell you the truth, when it was dark, it was dark. I didn't notice anything strange, apart from the fact that the sun sets very late! I also was in London in late July/early August, and the same happened. So, as someone suggested in this thread, to the non-astronimical eye, this is not noticeable.
I think I remember reading that 55 latitude (N/S) was the rough line where one really starts to notice the astronimical seasonal change in terms of only twlight in summer and total darkness in winter.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
If you were around 50 latitude S/N about a month after the summer solstice, you wouldn't have seen the effect of the faint glow of astronomical twilight on the northern horizon. Here in Vancouver (49N), it only manifests itself for a couple of weeks or so either side of the solstice.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
I certainly notice light in the summer night sky, it's not really noticeable, but it is there!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:17 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
I always wonder what life is like in places that far north. Like in Alaska or Scandinavia. What would nightlife be in a place like Anchorage or Tromso? Reminds me a bit of that film Insomnia with Al Pacino. A summer in an arctic or sub-arctic place is something I want to experience at least once.

With DST it only gets dark after 10 pm in Melbourne at the height of summer and that was weird enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather