Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:44 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,425 times

Advertisements

This is the impression I am getting from reading many of the posts on this forum. I like the spring and summer, but i think its only because I live in PA, where heat waves are relatively short-lived. If I lived in Arizona, or in the South, and had to deal with 5 months of heat, i would probably hate summer and wish for winter to come faster.

A lot of people up here in PA find ourselves wishing we lived in Arizona or Georgia or Texas around this time of year. I wonder if we would really like it there as much as we think. What most of us really want is comfortably warm, spring-like weather. I think a lot of us in the North underestimate the severity of a Southern summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 09:48 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,425 times
Actually, as a side note, the weather in the Northeast has been beautiful the last couple days. No need to escape from 65 degree weather in November! I am sure it won't last forever, but it has been nice. When i talk about moving to another climate, I am of course talking about seasonal averages, not anomalies such as today.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,214,623 times
Yes it is. I always here stories of people moving to Florida or some place south, only to come back north.

I have family that moved back to New Jersey from Florida. They certainly think the south's climate is overrated. They lived in the northeast for 40 years, then South FL for 20 years, and now they're back in Jersey, so I think their opinion is valid.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times
I yearn to escape Vancouver's rainy gloomy grip for 10 months of the year... I think most people from outside of the Pacific Northwest would get SAD living here.. including people in PA. I yearn to move to somewhere warmer and sunnier year round... Nothing like a permanent summer...

Old 11-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I yearn to escape Vancouver's rainy gloomy grip for 10 months of the year... I think most people from outside of the Pacific Northwest would get SAD living here.. including people in PA. I yearn to move to somewhere warmer and sunnier year round... Nothing like a permanent summer...
The thought of rarely experiencing heat and humidity in the PNW is very enticing.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
The thought of rarely experiencing heat and humidity in the PNW is very enticing.
Yes I know you have a preference for gloomy and cool climates.... so you'd love it here... but I'm sure many others don't particularly like this place. I don't recall too many "A" grades for Vancouver on the rate the climate thread.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes I know you have a preference for gloomy and cool climates.... so you'd love it here... but I'm sure many others don't particularly like this place. I don't recall too many "A" grades for Vancouver on the rate the climate thread.
Quality of life is very high in places like the PNW though.

My cousins lived in Vancouver for about a year and liked it, but it was way too expensive.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:10 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Yes, extremely. I'm a tropical climate native and I say that tropical heat is extremely overrated. If you didn't live your infant and toddler years, at least, in a tropical environment, you would "go troppo" after a while. I prefer mid to late spring weather all year round. That's why places like coastal California from San Diego to Oceanside and from San Luis Obispo to the western Bay Area. I think ColdCanadian told me there's an equivalent place in Western Australia that I would love, but the name of the town escapes me at the moment.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
Not for me, although I haven't lived in a southern climate. I don't see how I would grow to hate it, the heat has never bothered me (other than sleeping in 90+ heat with no A/C), I LOVE heat, and I'd love the milder winters. I can't stand being cold/dry/sick, but I could deal with some brief cold shots if they bring snow.

My climate is more overrated in my opinion, I hear more complaints such as "when is winter over", "I wish I was in Florida/California/Hawaii right now", etc. as opposed to "I wish spring/summer would end already". I feel that most people who dislike northern climates actually dislike them lol, I don't know a soul that moved back north from the south.

I usually despise Fall but this one has been nice.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:48 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Yes..many Brits emigrate to Australia only to return a few months later for many reasons, one of the reasons is that it's 'too hot'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather